All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree2572Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2024, 04:48 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Do you like it any better?
Can't get it into it at all if I'm honest. Don't know what it is. Just isn't engaging me.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 8th October 2024, 10:17 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I'm currently 160 pages into Cell by Stephen King.

Unusually for King the reader is dropped straight into the story which in this case is about a regular guy called Clay, a struggling comic book artist walking down the Boston streets when something turns those around him into raving, vicious animals. A dark and gritty read as King paints a picture of a world gone mad via a signal through mobile phones. It's very anti-tech so far with King seemingly disliking the way people are glued to their phones as much as i do. The three main protagonists characters are gradually unfolding as their plight and journey out of the city takes pace.
This is not playing out like i expected. I'm well into the third quarter of the book and we might be entering Scanners territory.
Old 12th October 2024, 08:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Can't get it into it at all if I'm honest. Don't know what it is. Just isn't engaging me.

Think I'm getting there now. About 120 pages in its working for me.

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 12th October 2024, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I've just read the first 90 pages of Clive Barker's Mister B. Gone.

This is quite interesting in that the book is speaking to you as you read it. It's a book possessed by a demon named Jakabok Botch who for the first few pages was trying to convince me to burn the book rather than read on. However he seems to now have decided i'm a stubborn sod and is reluctantly telling me his story.

I love how the cover looks old and battered even though it's in mint condition.

Stephen King's Cell played out far differently to how i imagined it would after the initial set up. Although i enjoyed reading it i'm not sure i'd ever wish to read it again. It's certainly no Salem's Lot or Danny Coughlin's Bad Dream when it comes to King at his best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2240 (Large).jpg (93.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th October 2024, 10:10 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Finished Mister B. Gone tonight. Really enjoyed it. Very satisfying. Even if at one point the demon in the book tells me it would call me excrement but that would be an insult to the product of it's bowels.

Such a shame Clive Barker hasn't written a book in well over ten years.
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Read the first forty pages of James Herbert's Haunted this evening in the lamp light. I would have read more but i fell asleep... and dreamed i was reading the book oddly. i was really liking it, Herbert's prose is lusher than other authors i've read recently. I'd forgotten what he was like. The last one i read was Once and that was years ago.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2242 (Small).JPG (29.8 KB, 7 views)
Justin101 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 11:10 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Read the first forty pages of James Herbert's Haunted this evening in the lamp light. I would have read more but i fell asleep... and dreamed i was reading the book oddly. i was really liking it, Herbert's prose is lusher than other authors i've read recently. I'd forgotten what he was like. The last one i read was Once and that was years ago.

James Herbert is probably my favourite author, while I can't pretend I've read all his work. Haunted is my favourite of his novels though. It has that classic ghost story feel to it while still having that sort of frantic in your face approach of his. All three of the David Ash books I've enjoyed. I'd like to see the film version with Aiden Quinn and Kate Beckinsale.

Like this? Share it using the links below!