Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > VHS & Exploitation > Censorship
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree74Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th November 2009, 05:46 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Hard to say what the worst one was for me. Africa Addio and Savage Man Savage Beast were just absolutely horrific.

In terms of non-animal violence Snuff 102, August Underground, Scrapbook and Murder Set Pieces take some beating. Goodbye Uncle Tom also caused the old stomach to churn.
Old 15th November 2009, 06:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've decided to pass on Africa Addio especially if it's anything like Savage Man, Savage Beast which for me was barely watchable.

Be sure to check out Hanger when you get the chance as I very much doubt it will ever pass here.
Old 15th November 2009, 06:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel View Post
I've decided to pass on Africa Addio especially if it's anything like Savage Man, Savage Beast which for me was barely watchable.

Be sure to check out Hanger when you get the chance as I very much doubt it will ever pass here.
Africa Addio is a lot worse than SMSB in my opinion.I added some of the less unpleasant shots to the entry in the BBFC reference forum,but the animal cruelty is horrific.

Last edited by mark meakin; 15th November 2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 15th November 2009, 07:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yeah, the animal cruelty in Africa Addio is horrible.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 15th November 2009, 08:06 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I've still not brought myself to watch Africa Addio. I've put it on a cvouple of times then stopped it after the preamble deciding I'm actually not in the right frame of mind to sit through it!
Old 16th November 2009, 09:37 AM
Cultist in Training

I'm 40 years old, and have had the opportunity over the years, to watch Holocaust on several occasions. I never have because of the animal deaths, and most likely never will. I have, however, like a lot of posters on here, become very aware of the movie and others, because of it's notoriety. I grew up through the video nasty era, and spent my youth hunting down uncut copies of DOTD, Flesh-eaters etc (ie : special effects movies), but never had any inclination to secure bootlegs of Holocaust (despite it being "the one to see" in the playground), or shockumentaries like Faces of Death, Mondo Cane etc etc, purely because I knew they contained animal suffering.

My original mention of Holocaust (if the aggrieved poster would like to back-track and read) was an attempt at humour. Black humour admittedly. In that the chances of the animal deaths in Holocaust being faked, were as unlikely as me waking up this morning with Angelina Jolie lying beside me. I checked. She wasn't. And I'm sure the tortured Turtle wasn't faking it either.

My next mention of the 'animal cruelty free' version was because it's the only known version that has all the special effects violence intact, but none of the animal deaths. Again, an easy enough purchase if I wanted it (albeit with the full version), but I never have. Because the animals aren't being slaughtered onscreen, I'm still aware that they were, and for that reason I still haven't seen said movie. I don't condone any sort of animal suffering, and as I mentioned recently to Mark, I even sold my copy of 'GI Samurai' after only one viewing (my 1st), because I became aware (and even on the Optimum release it's clearly obvious...) that it contained some nasty horse-falls. I loved the whole premise of that movie too, modern day military V Samurai's, but couldn't watch it again, knowing what I did. It's also why I won't be purchasing Woo's 'Red Cliff', because I've heard rumours of horse-tripping. Rumours they may be, but it's enough to make me feel uneasy about viewing it.

Cannibal Holocaust IS the most notorious of the video nasties, and that's why as a horror fan, it has become the infamous curio to me that it has. But I know it's something I'll likely never see. And I won't lose any sleep over that. Blimey.... good job I never posted my original crack about Holocaust on IMDB!
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 16th November 2009, 10:27 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbler View Post
It's also why I won't be purchasing Woo's 'Red Cliff', because I've heard rumours of horse-tripping. Rumours they may be, but it's enough to make me feel uneasy about viewing it.
Rumours that are true alas though only 1 BBFC cut was necessary. Comparison between the uncut (German) & cut (UK) prints here.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:14 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Rumours that are true alas though only 1 BBFC cut was necessary. Comparison between the uncut (German) & cut (UK) prints here.
That's a shame, as I was quite keen to see 'Red Cliff', being an avid player of 'Dynasty Warriors' on my old PS2. I wanted to see if they made Lu Bu as invincible to beat, as he was in the sodding games!

Joking aside, in this day & age, there shouldn't even be a need for a single cut for cruelty to animals in a movie. Simply because it shouldn't be happening anymore.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It could easily be done with a computer but sadly there are still filmakers would still rather take easy way and use trip wires.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 16th November 2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 16th November 2009, 11:33 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbler View Post
Joking aside, in this day & age, there shouldn't even be a need for a single cut for cruelty to animals in a movie. Simply because it shouldn't be happening anymore.
Some of the old cockfighting scenes in films are appalling. The one in Day Of The Locust being among the worst I've seen.

Like this? Share it using the links below!