Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Pete 27th February 2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by re.form (Post 131645)
Bloodmoon (From the list I made after watching 'Not quite Hollywood' docu)
Bruno Mattei's Shocking Dark
Joe D'amato's ENDGAME

Where did you get SHOCKING DARK? Wanted to see that film for ages!

Love ENDGAME, one of D'Aamato's best films IMO. Needs a dvd release!

bdc 27th February 2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 131198)
Would be interested to know what the a/v is like on Elm Street BDC

Just finished watching it... ;)
It looks and sounds great...and seems to be identical to the US release.

Sargento 27th February 2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 131689)
Just finished watching it... ;)
It looks and sounds great...and seems to be identical to the US release.

Hmm thanks BDC ... the sound to me is more important really. Thanks for this.

:nod:

bdc 27th February 2011 07:42 PM

Well,I don't have an amplifier hooked up,but it sounded good on my tv. ;)
A Nightmare on Elm Street Blu-ray
http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd...-street-a.html
http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/elmstreetbluray.php
http://www.dvdfile.com/reviews/blura...reet-bd-review

Stephen@Cult Labs 27th February 2011 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 131500)
i have The Mist on R1 dvd and the u.k Blu disc, it's one of my fave horror films.

I've been meaning to pick up the US blu-ray of The Mist. I love the Drew Struzan artwork they used.

nekromantik 27th February 2011 10:54 PM

Im hoping to see Mist go down to like £6

dream demon 28th February 2011 03:32 AM

Watched 'Max Manus: Man of War' last night - very, very good!

tollickd 28th February 2011 05:32 AM

Last night I saw Suspiria for the first time and I loved it!

prawnee 28th February 2011 12:58 PM

Just picked up Suspiria, Buried and Social Network. Not seen Buried yet, is it any good?

nekromantik 28th February 2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prawnee (Post 131800)
Just picked up Suspiria, Buried and Social Network. Not seen Buried yet, is it any good?

its awesome!
sadly the blu is wrong aspect ratio.

re.form 28th February 2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 131646)
Where did you get SHOCKING DARK? Wanted to see that film for ages!

Love ENDGAME, one of D'Aamato's best films IMO. Needs a dvd release!

Just one in a milion that does!

kingofwitches666 28th February 2011 10:40 PM

Just received:

Forbidden Planet (Warner)

Vamp (Arrow)

Watched them both today. Excellent releases, loved 'em.
:D

the blob 1st March 2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 131814)
its awesome!
sadly the blu is wrong aspect ratio.

I must be the only person I know who didn't think that much of Buried. I was on a plane so was hoping that would add to the claustrophobia but thought it was just in the 'okay but nothing major' bracket.

kingofwitches666 1st March 2011 11:59 PM

Just recieved three Blue Underground titles today:

How to Kill a Judge

Circus of Fear

Companeros

Don't know if they're any good but at £3.50 each, brand new & sealed, I'm not gonna complain. :)

Sargento 2nd March 2011 01:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this in the post today ... only ordered Saturday and delivered from the US to UK .. good eh!?

I especially wanted the US AB release for the original audio track.

Attachment 8026

nekromantik 2nd March 2011 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 132314)
Got this in the post today ... only ordered Saturday and delivered from the US to UK .. good eh!?

I especially wanted the US AB release for the original audio track.

Attachment 8026

whats the pic quality like?

Sargento 2nd March 2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 132322)
whats the pic quality like?

The picture quality seems fine. Bit grainy, but heck what does one expect!? I am not sure it is in it's correct aspect ratio though, but it is anamorphic. Colours are fine, blacks are blacks. Looks fine to me really.

I understand the UK release is a bit iffy, not to mention the soundtrack.

nekromantik 2nd March 2011 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 132331)
The picture quality seems fine. Bit grainy, but heck what does one expect!? I am not sure it is in it's correct aspect ratio though, but it is anamorphic. Colours are fine, blacks are blacks. Looks fine to me really.

I understand the UK release is a bit iffy, not to mention the soundtrack.

ah kool cheers :)

BioZombie 2nd March 2011 06:22 PM

Ordered a copy of the excellent Blacksploitation film Trouble Man from amazon marketplace for around £3 the other day.

kingofwitches666 2nd March 2011 10:14 PM

My Cobra blu arrived today from Hong Kong. :woot:

nekromantik 2nd March 2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 131982)
I must be the only person I know who didn't think that much of Buried. I was on a plane so was hoping that would add to the claustrophobia but thought it was just in the 'okay but nothing major' bracket.

hmm
well after a 3rd viewing I dont love it but its still very good movie.

Pete 3rd March 2011 09:19 AM

BEAST WITH A GUN (aka MAD DOG KILLER) - Anchor Bay
SYNDICATE SADIST'S - Shriek Show
APACHE KID (Bruno Mattei) - Spanish DVD
DON'T PANIC - Dark Vision
MANHUNT - RARO
TREASURE OF THE AMAZON - VCI

Phantom 3rd March 2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 132535)
My Cobra blu arrived today from Hong Kong. :woot:

I got that the other week too! I couldn't wait for the USA release. :p

antmumford 3rd March 2011 12:47 PM

Just to let you know that you can buy Arrow Video's The House By The Cemetery, Sleepless and Macabre as a bundle from the Arrow Film website for only £18. Had a search online and the cheapest for each title is about £7.50 so in total you're saving about a fiver. Deals only valid for a week so I've taken the plunge and decided to get them.
I only really wanted to collect the Arrow Video Blu-ray releases but I may just have to join the rest of you and get the entire collection on DVD too. Sorry wallet, please forgive me! :pray:

Here's the offical thread: http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/arro...tml#post132679

Nemesis 3rd March 2011 05:57 PM

Phantom of Death
Flavia the Heretic
Watch me when I kill
Angel of Vengeance

Sam 3rd March 2011 06:50 PM

I had a CEX exchange voucher burning a hole in my pocket so used it to pick up Donnie Darko on blu ray. I've given it a spin and if I'm honest, even though there is an improvement over the DVD, it probably isn't really worth the upgrade. For HD, it still lacks a bit of sharpness for me, although perhaps this is due to the source materials as much as anything.

Still, at least it contains both the original and director's cuts and all the extras in one package for the first time so can't complain really (even though I just have a bit :p).

bdc 3rd March 2011 07:01 PM

Nice ones kingofwitches666/Sargento/Pete/Nemesis! :thumb:

the blob 3rd March 2011 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 132819)
I had a CEX exchange voucher burning a hole in my pocket so used it to pick up Donnie Darko on blu ray. I've given it a spin and if I'm honest, even though there is an improvement over the DVD, it probably isn't really worth the upgrade. For HD, it still lacks a bit of sharpness for me, although perhaps this is due to the source materials as much as anything.

Still, at least it contains both the original and director's cuts and all the extras in one package for the first time so can't complain really (even though I just have a bit :p).

My US Blu is still in the sealed to watch pile but before I only had the old R1 Fox dvd, which was a bit of an abomination really so I'm hoping for a sizeable upgrade over that. It also had one of the most jarring layer changes ever, even on players I've had that pretty much handled them seamlessly. Felt like there was a 10-hour gap waiting for it to restart so it'll be a good upgrade for that reason alone.

skankenstoned 3rd March 2011 10:42 PM

Phantom of death
designated victim
vamp
lizard in a womans skin
fright night

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th March 2011 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 132884)
My US Blu is still in the sealed to watch pile but before I only had the old R1 Fox dvd, which was a bit of an abomination really so I'm hoping for a sizeable upgrade over that. It also had one of the most jarring layer changes ever, even on players I've had that pretty much handled them seamlessly. Felt like there was a 10-hour gap waiting for it to restart so it'll be a good upgrade for that reason alone.

Mine is out of the shrinkwrap but for some reason I still havent gotten around to watching it. I really love the artwork too. The rabbit made of smoke is pretty cool looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdc 4th March 2011 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skankenstoned (Post 132885)
Phantom of death
designated victim
vamp
lizard in a womans skin
fright night

Nice ones skankenstoned! :thumb:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th March 2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 132916)
Nice ones skankenstoned! :thumb:

Indeed. A great list of films there -- is that viewing for the weekend?

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th March 2011 09:47 AM

Even though I own the R4 Death Wish/Death Wish 2 double feature dvd, I bought the individual Dutch releases of both parts on the Columbia label. At least, the 1st one was. The 2nd came today and it was the crappy fullscreen DFW dvd. Sufficed to say, I've emailed the seller to complain. :censored:

Demoncrat 4th March 2011 09:56 AM

commiserations...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 132928)
Even though I own the R4 Death Wish/Death Wish 2 double feature dvd, I bought the individual Dutch releases of both parts on the Columbia label. At least, the 1st one was. The 2nd came today and it was the crappy fullscreen DFW dvd. Sufficed to say, I've emailed the seller to complain. :censored:

can i top that in unscrupulous dealers? ordered DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILLSATION fae this "chap" on amazon as he advertised a region 1 dvd, what arrived was a dvd-r COPY of the VHS with the 3rd film "thrown in" (to salve his conscience no doubt), after nae response tae 2 rather, shall we say, restrained emails... i had amazon on my case asking me to leave feedback!!!! suffice to say it was of the worst sort that i left. they also did not respond to my complaint either, as far as i know he is still selling his shite
there, if anyone does want to get ripped off by a seller/shop based in london, PM for details. HARUMPH.:mmph:

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th March 2011 10:01 AM

I believe you have bested me with that one! Some people eh. Just had a reply telling me I can send it back to the Netherlands and get a refund as it "wasn't what I expected". No shit Sherlock! Maybe shouldn't have shown the cover of the Columbia dvd then!

Demoncrat 4th March 2011 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 132935)
I believe you have bested me with that one! Some people eh. Just had a reply telling me I can send it back to the Netherlands and get a refund as it "wasn't what I expected". No shit Sherlock! Maybe shouldn't have shown the cover of the Columbia dvd then!

you might be surprised to learn thats not the top horror story i can tell, as im sure we have all dealt with pricks of various shades in our quest for visual fun!! hope you get your £!!:pray:

kingofwitches666 4th March 2011 12:25 PM

Just received through the post today:

Hellraiser (Anchor Bay)

Phenomena (Arrow)
:woot:

oaxaca 4th March 2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 132989)
Just received through the post today:

Hellraiser (Anchor Bay)

Phenomena (Arrow)
:woot:

Wahey!! I got PHENOMENA through the door today too :D At last!! What a great film and, from what reviews I've read, a great job by ARROW too. It certainly looks like another top package.

Got HELLRAISER the other week. Not watched it yet though. I did see VAMP last night and the AV was super. Great comedy-horror, very 80's :D... Loved Grace Jones' role as the lead vampire. Had read some reviews before watching it that she only had a cameobut I thought her part was a little bit more substantial than that. She certainly had a great presence and looked even creepier than usual with her fangs. :eyebrows:

Argentofan 4th March 2011 06:15 PM

Havent been here for a while so I've bought loads more than this but recent purchases:

Prom Night
Thriller: They Call Her One Eye
Class Of 1984
Sisters
Cannibal Apocalypse
Beyond The Darkness
Phenomena (Arrow)
Amer
Vamp

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th March 2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 133100)
Havent been here for a while so I've bought loads more than this but recent purchases:

Prom Night
Thriller: They Call Her One Eye
Class Of 1984
Sisters
Cannibal Apocalypse
Beyond The Darkness
Phenomena (Arrow)
Amer
Vamp

Nice set of DVDs (and BDs?) there.