Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

gag 15th March 2011 04:02 AM

Just bought Raging bull and The Usual Supsects blu ray £5 each...
Tesco has quite a few for a £5 dif tesco have dif films

Kyle 15th March 2011 06:43 AM

ordered the crazy dave tape trilogy
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i259/aoki69/crazy.jpg

the taint
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i259/aoki69/taint.png

antmumford 15th March 2011 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 135635)
I am not biased against remakes at all.
I am proud to say I think Hills Have Eyes remake is lots better then original.
I also enjoyed DoTD remake.

LTROI is a classic of modern times its that simple. The remake lacks the atmosphere from LTROI and misses the whole she used to be a boy story.

Sorry, I didn't mean you were biased against remakes, that comment was just made in general about the overall concept, it was not personal. Sorry if it came across that way :(
What I was getting at is that Let Me In isn't a remake of Let The Right One In. It's another film adaptation of the novel (the director had never even watched Let The Right One In before making it) so it would be good for someone to judge Let Me In in it's own merit and not to compare it to a different directors earlier interpretation of the book. Personally I haven't seen Let Me In yet so I'm keen to see what it's like. I think I'll put it high priority on my Lovefilm account now actually.

Totally agree with you on The Hills Have Eyes remake, for me that was far superior than the original. I even really enjoyed the sequel, extremely gory in parts. :fear:
Dawn of the Dead was great too, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Still friends? :rolleyes: :pray:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th March 2011 11:43 AM

It's an interesting point on whether something is a remake or a different interpretation of the source material so you have two film is called True Grit, both adaptations of a book, but the one made last year is not a remake of the famous John Wayne one.

Similarly, you have Michael Mann's Manhunter and then Brett Ratner's Red Dragon which are both adaptations of the same Thomas Harris novel, only Red Dragon is complete garbage whereas Michael Mann's film is superb.

Mark Kermode did an interesting blog on that subject:
BBC - Mark Kermode's film blog: When is a remake not a remake?

antmumford 15th March 2011 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 135715)
It's an interesting point on whether something is a remake or a different interpretation of the source material so you have two film is called True Grit, both adaptations of a book, but the one made last year is not a remake of the famous John Wayne one.

Similarly, you have Michael Mann's Manhunter and then Brett Ratner's Red Dragon which are both adaptations of the same Thomas Harris novel, only Red Dragon is complete garbage whereas Michael Mann's film is superb.

Mark Kermode did an interesting blog on that subject:
BBC - Mark Kermode's film blog: When is a remake not a remake?

Yeah I watched his Vlog about this too. It's interesting about the Coen Brother's True Grit though because although they claim it's another adaptation of the book and they can't remember much about the original film (so they say). In the book there is no mention of the Rooster character having use of only one eye, yet their character has, just like the John Wayne version. Which means they must have copied that aspect of the original film. :confused: :rolleyes:

:dance: - Kelly fancied sticking this smiley on my post, god knows why. She says it looks like her. Who am I to argue?

antmumford 15th March 2011 12:46 PM

It's our 3 year anniversary next week so Kelly's been wonderful and bought me the rare Predator Trilogy (Mask Edition). As you know I collect all the mask editions and I think this is the only one I don't have. I'm proper chuffed because I knew I wouldn't have enough money for it for a long time. She's the bestest :D

http://www.discshop.fi/shop/img/film...y_Mask_FIS.jpg

Sargento 15th March 2011 12:49 PM

That is a nice collection Ant .. and the Mrs MUST love you to buy you that!!! Lucky you!!

:clap:

:p

antmumford 15th March 2011 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 135739)
That is a nice collection Ant .. and the Mrs MUST love you to buy you that!!! Lucky you!!

:clap:

:p

Cheers mate. I think she does, well I hope so anyway :rolleyes:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th March 2011 04:38 PM

You've got yourself a keeper there, Ant -- what have you bought for her?

Sargento 15th March 2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 135811)
You've got yourself a keeper there, Ant -- what have you bought for her?

Hmmm, good point there Nos! Come on Ant, spill the beans!

:rolleyes:

bdc 15th March 2011 06:51 PM

Very nice Ant!

Picked this up cheap...

Do You Wanna Know a Secret? (2001) (Unipix)
Anyone seen it?

wongfeihung62 15th March 2011 08:00 PM

Bd

event horizon special edition
the beyond - awaiting delivery

dvd

who saw her die
torso
strip nude for your killer
night train murders
my dear killer
flavia the heretic
legend of a fighter
doberman
the girl who played with fire

Sargento 15th March 2011 09:05 PM

Postie just dropped off

The Gate (R1 Monstrous Special Edition)

Nice!

nekromantik 15th March 2011 09:22 PM

I got a £10 HMV voucher to spend. Not sure what on though. :lol:

Sargento 15th March 2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 135904)
I got a £10 HMV voucher to spend. Not sure what on though. :lol:

Well as you know, it won't go far instore Nek ... not with their prices!

:(

nekromantik 15th March 2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargento (Post 135907)
Well as you know, it won't go far instore Nek ... not with their prices!

:(

nah its for online only.
I dont bother instore.

pedromonkey 16th March 2011 04:14 PM

the postman has brought me these...

Straw Dogs
Hang 'Em High

Sam 16th March 2011 05:49 PM

Picked up the following from Poundland:-

Death Sentence
Basic Instinct 2 :behindsofa:

I've seen the latter before and it's a terrible film but for some reason, I fancy watching it again. Maybe it's for Stan Collymore's Oscar-winning performance at the beginning :lol:. Death Sentence looks interesting though...

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th March 2011 07:23 PM

I don't know why Basic Instinct 2 receive such bad press as it was a fairly well made and interesting (although extremely silly) thriller. I enjoyed it at the cinema and own the DVD.

Recently, I've bought:
Anthropophagus: The Grim Reaper (Shriek Show)
The Adventures of Robin Hood BD (Warner Home Video) plus
Five DVDs, two of which are Hardboxes, from Pete.

Sam 16th March 2011 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 136128)
I don't know why Basic Instinct 2 receive such bad press as it was a fairly well made and interesting (although extremely silly) thriller. I enjoyed it at the cinema and own the DVD.

Maybe terrible is a bit harsh to be fair, it does what it says on the tin and doesn't pretend to be anything it's not I suppose. In any case, I'm quite looking forward to watching it again :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 16th March 2011 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam (Post 136176)
Maybe terrible is a bit harsh to be fair, it does what it says on the tin and doesn't pretend to be anything it's not I suppose. In any case, I'm quite looking forward to watching it again :nod:

In situations like these that make me want to watch the film in question again, and this is no exception so, although I have a huge pile of unwatched discs, I'll try and find time to watch Basic Instinct 2 for (I think) the third time.

mr 420 17th March 2011 09:35 AM

Finally managed to pick up the 2-disc version of Creepshow for the princely sum of 2 pound! I've been wanting to see this for a while now, but my local HMV has always had it too high IMO (£20).

oaxaca 17th March 2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 136248)
Finally managed to pick up the 2-disc version of Creepshow for the princely sum of 2 pound! I've been wanting to see this for a while now, but my local HMV has always had it too high IMO (£20).

Nice bargain!! I just got the BD for £8.96 on amazon marketplace. A great film which I haven't seen in ages.

kingofwitches666 17th March 2011 02:28 PM

Bought Max Payne: Harder Cut today. It was one of Tesco's Blu-rays for £5.

Also bought Triangle (Melissa George) from HMV (£7).

mr 420 17th March 2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 136254)
Nice bargain!! I just got the BD for £8.96 on amazon marketplace. A great film which I haven't seen in ages.

Yeah, I also loved this as a kid. Apart from the commentary from Romero and Savini there is a feature length documentary about the making of it too.:cool:

the blob 17th March 2011 03:05 PM

I've got to remember to pick the UK Creepshow up sometime. Only had the R1 and now the BD but they're both pretty bare bones and it's one of those movies that's worth dipping into some extras for.

BioZombie 17th March 2011 03:07 PM

This thread has inspired me to listen to the creepshow commentary right now.

mr 420 17th March 2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the blob (Post 136312)
It's one of those movies that's worth dipping into some extras for.

My view exactly.:)

Sargento 17th March 2011 04:05 PM

After EVENTUALLY buying the 2 disk Creepshow recently I watched it, but I found it to be one of those movies that hasn't aged too well over the years. Shame cos I loved it when I was younger.

MANIAC 17th March 2011 04:23 PM

Ive not bought a dvd for a while:( so today i splashed out on BD Shogun Assasin,and BD (series 2) Sons Of Anarchy.:cool:

Kyle 17th March 2011 06:47 PM

awesome! i just realised that this was a thread i started, glad its been so popular and is sill being used

mercury 17th March 2011 07:25 PM

Bought Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes dvd Steelbook for £3 today. I was totaly chuffed that I had got a bargin until I came home and discovered it isn't that more expensive online:doh: Anyway I saw it and had to buy it. Just ordered The Beyond from Amazon:woot:

Sargento 17th March 2011 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 136394)
Bought Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes dvd Steelbook for £3 today. I was totaly chuffed that I had got a bargin until I came home and discovered it isn't that more expensive online:doh: Anyway I saw it and had to buy it. Just ordered The Beyond from Amazon:woot:

Think I saw this in HMV sale in store for £3 too. It's OK for about half hour then turns into a bore fest.

PaulD 17th March 2011 08:16 PM

Payday so treated myself to Suspiria Bluray. Haven't seen this for a few years so can't wait to see it in HD!

Paul@TheOverlook 17th March 2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 136415)
Payday so treated myself to Suspiria Bluray. Haven't seen this for a few years so can't wait to see it in HD!

It's a cracker in HD - I was well impressed, almost as good as watching it the first tine in fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingofwitches666 18th March 2011 12:09 AM

Got from Poundland today:

Death Sentence

The Cry of the Owl (Paddy Considine & Julia Stiles star)

Prom Night (remake)

No Basic Instinct 2 in stock though. :(

nekromantik 18th March 2011 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 136505)
Got from Poundland today:

Death Sentence

The Cry of the Owl (Paddy Considine & Julia Stiles star)

Prom Night (remake)

No Basic Instinct 2 in stock though. :(

I like Death Sentence. its pretty awesome lil flick. :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th March 2011 05:22 AM

I've still not seen Death Sentence. Which one follows the novel more closely, this or Death Wish 2? I'm not sure any of them do tbh, I think they went with their own stories.

antmumford 18th March 2011 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 136528)
I've still not seen Death Sentence. Which one follows the novel more closely, this or Death Wish 2? I'm not sure any of them do tbh, I think they went with their own stories.

I thoroughly enjoyed Death Sentence so was chuffed to find it in Poundland. Proper bargain. It's quite a brutal film and Kevin Bacon is as awesome as ever too.

Stephen@Cult Labs 18th March 2011 07:09 AM

I'd be very surprised if I find it in my local Poundland. I might pop down later just to see anyway.