Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 2nd December 2022 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 679350)
Thanks for the warning, tbh I wasn’t aware, I’ve prob used them 3 times tops and can’t complain, I thought the blu ray was part of black Fri deals hence why that price, I know not to use them now, thanks.
I’ll let you know if I receive the blu ray or not.

Have a read of their customer reviews. It's really not good reading.

Then again if you have used them three times and always got what you paid for then that's good.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th December 2022 10:54 AM

3 Attachment(s)
This weeks new arrivals. Finally got myself X to watch over Christmas. Plus a Reaper t-light holder and Baphomet Christmas tree decoration as well.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th December 2022 09:48 PM

That Grim Reaper tea light holder looks cool.

I'd like to see a photo of what it looks like when the candle is lit and the room is darker.

Justin101 5th December 2022 12:22 PM

A lunchtime shopping trip.

https://i.ibb.co/xhFHmDP/9595-AAB7-6...-B6-D75-CA.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 679434)

Superb purchases, Justin.

In Bruges was a bargain.

I bought that same Blu of Two Rode Together a while ago to watch over Christmas. One i've upgraded from dvd.

Justin101 5th December 2022 01:36 PM

I grabbed it because of Jimmy Stewart really! In Bruges I reckon when they bought it in they scanned it as the older version! £3 really is the wrong price but I’m not complaining.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2022 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 679438)
I grabbed it because of Jimmy Stewart really! In Bruges I reckon when they bought it in they scanned it as the older version! £3 really is the wrong price but I’m not complaining.

Richard Widmark's always great value as well. But, certainly you won't ever really go wrong with James Stewart.

As for In Bruges. Just had a look. Yes you're right. They don't even have the Second Sight release listed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2022 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of Poundland purchases.

Curios really but i 'm happy to get a couple of spare cases if they aren't up to much. Must admit i'm quite looking forward to the story of Brian Clough and his legendary Nottingham Forest team of the late seventies.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2022 08:06 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 679428)
That Grim Reaper tea light holder looks cool.

I'd like to see a photo of what it looks like when the candle is lit and the room is darker.

The photos really don't do it justice. You can't see the shadows the outline of the reaper casts.

I don't know if you recall last year around this time i got a Baphomet figure. This reaper like that figure is nice and heavy and produced by the same company - Nemesis Now. As is the Baphomet Christmas tree decoration.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th December 2022 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679452)
The photos really don't do it justice. You can't see the shadows the outline of the reaper casts.

I don't know if you recall last year around this time i got a Baphomet figure. This reaper like that figure is nice and heavy and produced by the same company - Nemesis Now. As is the Baphomet Christmas tree decoration.

Yeah, I remember because I was thinking of buying the Pazuzu figurine. Although I don't really have room for them, they are extremely tempting.

Demdike@Cult Labs 5th December 2022 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 679454)
Yeah, I remember because I was thinking of buying the Pazuzu figurine. Although I don't really have room for them, they are extremely tempting.

I still have that Pazuzu in my wishlist. I can see it sitting opposite the Baphomet. :jollysanta:

nosferatu42 5th December 2022 09:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 243736

If you think of the figurine as the Grim reaper then maybe the light is a soul he has just taken.

...That or his crusty undead balls are on fire.:ladyxmas:

Demoncrat 6th December 2022 04:58 PM

Picked up a UK dvd of Mr Benn. £1. :xmasbanana:

Nordicdusk 7th December 2022 11:54 AM

6 Attachment(s)
These sweet ass Darth Vader DCs even the insole kicks ass :xmaslol:

Sorry about the ghetto background im in work.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 7th December 2022 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Cruella and Luca, two relatively cheap 4K Ultra HD releases, both films I enjoyed when I streamed them on Disney+, and ones I look forward to watching again

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th December 2022 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 679501)
Cruella and Luca, two relatively cheap 4K Ultra HD releases, both films I enjoyed when I streamed them on Disney+, and ones I look forward to watching again

I bought Cruella to watch last Christmas. :rolleyes:

Maybe this year eh? :xmasnuts:

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th December 2022 01:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of Cex credit purchases.

Justin101 7th December 2022 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 679501)

I've not seen Cruella yet, but I love Luca, it reminded me of a Studio Ghibli film, don't know if you felt that watching it?

Demoncrat 7th December 2022 05:52 PM

Picked up a few dvds. All UK.

The Goodies At LWT (sealed!)
Tale Of Tales (sealed)
The Warriors (original release!!!)
Punisher Warzone
The Angry Red Planet (sealed)
Six Bullets

£2.50 (BOGOF etc)

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th December 2022 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 679511)
Picked up a few dvds. All UK.

The Goodies At LWT (sealed!)
Tale Of Tales (sealed)
The Warriors (original release!!!)
Punisher Warzone
The Angry Red Planet (sealed)
Six Bullets

£2.50 (BOGOF etc)

The Angry Red Planet. Fantastic!!

I love Punisher: War Zone as well. Stevenson's great as Punisher. A cacophony of violence this one is.

Interested in your verdict on Tale of Tales. I really didn't get along with it. I was expecting great things as well.

Demoncrat 7th December 2022 06:30 PM

There's a few more I might get tomorrow (didn't have bank card with me etc) so wish me luck. Yes, PW is a keeper certainly. :nod::loveeyes:

MrBarlow 8th December 2022 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up these today.

Attachment 243776

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 8th December 2022 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 679506)
I've not seen Cruella yet, but I love Luca, it reminded me of a Studio Ghibli film, don't know if you felt that watching it?

I've seen Luca a couple of times and never thought of Studio Ghibli, but it does make a lot of sense.

I'll bear it in mind next time I watch it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th December 2022 10:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Two things from eBay: the latest season of Curb Your Enthusiasm, the only one I haven't seen, and the three seasons of In Treatment, a brilliant TV show and a box that I have wanted to own for a long time.

MrBarlow 10th December 2022 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Arrived.

Attachment 243810

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th December 2022 05:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Required Christmas viewing.

MuckyFunster 11th December 2022 08:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy Birthday to me [emoji3526]

We watched Ghostwatch with the kids the other night - I put it on and pressed play then shouted them to come in. I told them it was a live TV show and that they were going to investigate a haunted house. They were properly freaked out. It was a lot of fun [emoji23]

Attachment 243822

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Demoncrat 12th December 2022 12:02 AM

Oh you. Pipes may call laterer btw ....

iank 12th December 2022 11:48 PM

Arrived:

https://images2.static-bluray.com/mo...332_medium.jpg

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2022 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iank (Post 679694)

Superb looking disc, Ian. :xmasbanana:

Dave Boy 13th December 2022 02:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ASSAULT.. oh yes. Suzy Kendall in HD :drool:

Picked up today from HMV

Attachment 243851

..And CEX store token for

Attachment 243852

g053584398 13th December 2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Boy (Post 679710)
ASSAULT.. oh yes. Suzy Kendall in HD :drool:

Picked up today from HMV

Attachment 243851

..And CEX store token for

Attachment 243852

I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the video on the Vampire Circus disc Dave.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 679712)
I'd be interested in hearing what you think of the video on the Vampire Circus disc Dave.

Is there an alternative print with Shout or someone or is that the one and only?

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2022 03:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A couple with Cex credit this afternoon.

g053584398 13th December 2022 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679714)
Is there an alternative print with Shout or someone or is that the one and only?

I think it was Synapse who released the film on Blu-ray in the States, so I imagine it will be the same master for the UK release. I really don't know though.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2022 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g053584398 (Post 679716)
I think it was Synapse who released the film on Blu-ray in the States, so I imagine it will be the same master for the UK release. I really don't know though.

The fact it's just been released by ITV suggests it won't be coming from anyone else anytime soon.

I had hoped Network might have had their hands on it.

Still waiting to see what they have in store for us via their Hammer deal.

Back with Vampire Circus i used to have it on dvd along with other films in two three disc sets from ITV / Carlton. Twins of Evil and Hands of the Ripper were others (released by Network hence why i thought Circus may also have been) The Uncanny was another. I'd love that on Blu. A highly underrated film in my opinion.

Justin101 13th December 2022 03:32 PM

The new UK one looks exactly the same as the Synapse one which is not a very good one unfortunately.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th December 2022 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 679718)
The new UK one looks exactly the same as the Synapse one which is not a very good one unfortunately.

I had read something on those lines but wasn't 100% sure.

There's too much info regarding transfers knocking about. It can get really confusing.

g053584398 13th December 2022 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679717)

Back with Vampire Circus i used to have it on dvd along with other films in two three disc sets from ITV / Carlton. Twins of Evil and Hands of the Ripper were others (released by Network hence why i thought Circus may also have been) The Uncanny was another. I'd love that on Blu. A highly underrated film in my opinion.

I still have both of those box sets. The Uncanny ia available from Severin on region-free Blu-ray. I haven't looked at it in a long time, but I seem to recall that it was a pretty solid release. It is also a favourite of mine from childhood.

Dave Boy 14th December 2022 10:07 AM

Okay, so the Vampire Circus UK release.

I have the DVD in the three disc Carlton box set so I'm basing it on that.

My opinion, it's not the disaster that everyone seems to be making out.
If you read the reviews on Amazon you would think that this is a major dumster fire. Some reviews point out faults that are just not there and to say the picture is so bad they had to turn the film off is just laughable.

The Blu ray is definitely an upgrade on the DVD. The thing is it's had no restoration. There are speckles of artifacts on screen right from the start with the Rank opening. It's not major by any means and hardly bothersome, it just looks like.. well a film!
The scene where the Count is restored and you see the stake hole closing has a few scratches but that's it.
Picture wise you can see there is an upgrade even if sometimes it seems just minor but it is there, and on the face close ups you can really see an upgrade.
So, it's not the perfect upscale you would expect from say, the likes of Indicator. It has it's faults but in my opinion it's a good release and it's the Blu ray I will be watching from now on. Chances are you are not going to get any better than this release on Blu ray, at least at the moment.