Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2022 10:19 AM

My guess is that it's no worse than say Vault of Horror or Aslyum in terms of image quality.

Neither of which are great but still better than the dvd.

Justin101 14th December 2022 10:40 AM

One of the main criticisms of the Synapse disc was that it's just too dark, more than it should have been. People were hoping that this new release would be a new transfer from the negatives and fix the darkness but it ended up being exactly the same. So I imagine the response is harsher than it was originally for the Synapse release because they have been disappointed.

I'm probably going to pick it up down the line because I don't have any copy of this film and I remember enjoying it when I saw it on the telly years and years ago. It needs to be in that £10 range for me to make an impulse purchase :D

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2022 10:49 AM

I have the Strawberry Media dvd as for whatever reason my Carlton dvd decided it would freeze fifteen minutes from the end. There was no mark whatsoever on the disc.

The Synapse Blu has a line of dialogue missing , wonder if that has been restored to this new release?

Justin101 14th December 2022 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679744)
I have the Strawberry Media dvd as for whatever reason my Carlton dvd decided it would freeze fifteen minutes from the end. There was no mark whatsoever on the disc.

The Synapse Blu has a line of dialogue missing , wonder if that has been restored to this new release?

From the thread on blu-ray forums;

"I got it, it's not the best transfer i've ever seen but it's not the worst either, it's clearly an old master but visually it's obviously a huge upgrade from my 20 year old DVD however unfortunately it does have the 'How can i thank you' line missing at around the 29:50 mark which is on my DVD."

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th December 2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 679745)
From the thread on blu-ray forums;

"I got it, it's not the best transfer i've ever seen but it's not the worst either, it's clearly an old master but visually it's obviously a huge upgrade from my 20 year old DVD however unfortunately it does have the 'How can i thank you' line missing at around the 29:50 mark which is on my DVD."

I'm in no rush like yourself. The Strawberry Media release was fine. I know as i only watched it last year.

Dave Boy 14th December 2022 05:12 PM

Yeah, for some unknown reason the line of dialogue is missing!
The scene is when Emil brings the child back after he was found to be missing.

Susan Foreman 14th December 2022 06:44 PM

I used some CEX vouchers, and got:

Kraftwerk - Minimum / Maximum - 2 disc DVD - £8:00
Marillion - Recital Of The Script - DVD - I used to have this on video, but got rid of when when I lost my video player. This is an extended version, which now features 'Grendel' and footage from a show at the Marquee in 1982 alongside the original concert - £5:00
Troll Complete Collection - 2 disc Eureka Blu-Ray - Yes, I know it is supposed to be bad, but surely that is the whole point of these films! - £12:00
Dream Demon - Arrow Blu-Ray - £8:00
Chill Factor - Arrow Blu-Ray - £8:00
The Last Broadcast - Limited edition 101 films Blu-Ray - £6:00

iank 14th December 2022 11:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Arrived:

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th December 2022 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A couple of Air Ambulance shop purchases. £1 each. Never seen Campion, seems Poirot like in it's style. Should be decent.

Demoncrat 17th December 2022 06:52 PM

Picked up a UK dvd of Heavenly Creatures. £1.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 17th December 2022 08:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This week's arrivals:

Demdike@Cult Labs 18th December 2022 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This week's new arrival.

Demoncrat 19th December 2022 04:03 PM

Only When I Laugh UK dvd set. £2.

iank 20th December 2022 12:50 AM

Arrived:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MhIAA...wRD/s-l400.jpg https://879ed873-madman-com-au.akama...47-2768115.jpg

Nuno_Miranda 20th December 2022 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679858)
This week's new arrival.

Ooh, I got that one too! Fantastic price and an excellent upgrade to the DVD 2-disc Special Editions I had until now. The great price didn't hurt either...

Nuno_Miranda 20th December 2022 04:39 PM

My latest purchases:

https://i.imgur.com/Xkq50Mj.jpg

Blood Beast Terror is the new Kino Lorber edition and arrived today. It's an upgrade from the Italian DVD edition. I'm very much looking forward to watching the remaster.

House of Wax 3D is one I had been hunting for some time, and this edition also has the 1933 Mystery of the Wax Museum. I'm a big 3D fan and. although had this one on VHS anaglyph (with postcards!), I had never gotten around to buying it on Blu-ray.

The Comedy of Terrors is also an upgrade from the Midnight Movies DVD collection and an all-time favourite!

Bride of Re-animator and Beyond Re-animator are new in my collection. I thought about upgrading my Millennium Edition DVD of Re-animator, but it's so chuck-full of extras that I'll keep it.

Slowly but surely I'm upgrading the "core" videothéque.

iank 21st December 2022 12:02 AM

Arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...g?t=1503294013 https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/KGYAA...hEN/s-l400.jpg

Never seen Doctor Detroit and only vaguely recall EDS.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st December 2022 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So. Took some Doctor Who dvd's into Cex today and came out with Doctor Who on Blu-ray. :lol:

Plus the Premium Collection release of Fatal Attraction in near mint condition.

Susan Foreman 21st December 2022 05:30 PM

CEX

Breaking Glass - UK DVD - £15:00

Apparently the US version of the film is cut by 10 minutes, removing the ending to make it more 'upbeat'!

Back in the day, I much preferred Hazel O'Connor to Toyah. Toyah might have been more quirky, but Hazel was much more cynical and (I thought) relevant. Toyah was the kind of person yer mum liked ("she has colourful hair and is bouncy. She is short like a pixie and has a delightful speech impediment. I just want to grab her and give her a great big hug") while Hazel was the kind of girl where yer mum would grab your hand and drag you to the other side of the road if you saw her coming along the street towards you!

MrBarlow 22nd December 2022 01:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Picked these up

Attachment 243985 Attachment 243986 Attachment 243987

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd December 2022 02:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
From Amazon. This years final arrivals.

Nuno_Miranda 22nd December 2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679985)
From Amazon. This years final arrivals.

Great stuff! I always thought ST5 was unfairly maligned, I quite like the movie. My favourite is ST6, Undiscovered Country.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd December 2022 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda (Post 679986)
Great stuff! I always thought ST5 was unfairly maligned, I quite like the movie. My favourite is ST6, Undiscovered Country.

Same here regarding The Undiscovered Country. It's been a long while since i last saw TUC and when i watched it in the Autumn when it was re-released in the newly restored 4K Blu-ray (Like the one above) i enjoyed it as much if not more than the one i've always called my favourite The Voyage Home.

Nuno_Miranda 22nd December 2022 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 679987)
Same here regarding The Undiscovered Country. It's been a long while since i last saw TUC and when i watched it in the Autumn when it was re-released in the newly restored 4K Blu-ray (Like the one above) i enjoyed it as much if not more than the one i've always called my favourite The Voyage Home.

TVH is also one of my favourites, but then again, I could call them all favourites :D I'm lucky to own McCoy's green neck scarf from it. I had the opportunity to buy Spock's white costume but it caught me at a time I was fairly broke, and to this day I think about it...

I haven't watched any of them in 4K, but I expect they'll look tremendous. TBH, I haven't watched anything in 4K yet, even though I purchased the TMP Director's Edition, with 4K/BR, which is the only 4K disc I own.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd December 2022 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuno_Miranda (Post 679988)
TVH is also one of my favourites, but then again, I could call them all favourites :D I'm lucky to own McCoy's green neck scarf from it. I had the opportunity to buy Spock's white costume but it caught me at a time I was fairly broke, and to this day I think about it...

I haven't watched any of them in 4K, but I expect they'll look tremendous. TBH, I haven't watched anything in 4K yet, even though I purchased the TMP Director's Edition, with 4K/BR, which is the only 4K disc I own.

I don't watch them in 4K it's just they are Blu-ray versions of the new 4K restorations.

MuckyFunster 22nd December 2022 05:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I probably *will* open this before Christmas.

God forgive me [emoji23]

Attachment 243993
Attachment 243994

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J Harker 22nd December 2022 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a film, but I picked this little fella up yesterday from a new shop in town that's appeared out of nowhere Attachment 244000
He's already buds with old Frank.
Attachment 244001

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd December 2022 10:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A small spending spree on 4K Ultra HD releases during today's visit to HMV for three films I rate highly (Encanto, Shang-Chi, The Northman) and two blind buys (Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Bullet Train), plus a bargain (£8.25) from eBay for the brand-new and sealed Turning Red.

J Harker 22nd December 2022 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 680003)
A small spending spree on 4K Ultra HD releases during today's visit to HMV for three films I rate highly (Encanto, Shang-Chi, The Northman) and two blind buys (Venom: Let There Be Carnage and Bullet Train), plus a bargain (£8.25) from eBay for the brand-new and sealed Turning Red.

Watched Bullet Train last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it Nos. Turning Red on the other hand I hated with a vengeance.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk

iank 23rd December 2022 12:45 AM

Arrived:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/I3UAA...I0/s-l1600.jpg :hohoho:

peter alex 23rd December 2022 03:23 PM

got eureka release of the lucky stars 3 film collection but the english dubbed of the first 2 films are not the same as the hong kong legend versions cause eureka version have take out all the jokes and they have completely ruined them but the third one is the same as the uk dvd

MrBarlow 23rd December 2022 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter alex (Post 680009)
got eureka release of the lucky stars 3 film collection but the english dubbed of the first 2 films are not the same as the hong kong legend versions cause eureka version have take out all the jokes and they have completely ruined them but the third one is the same as the uk dvd

Why take out all the jokes, that's what made them more enjoyable.

peter alex 23rd December 2022 08:11 PM

makes the english dubbed on the first 2 now unwatchable because they are completely awful their voices sound weird and annoying they sound that the were dubbed with british accents and they do not work

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd December 2022 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Harker (Post 680004)
Watched Bullet Train last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it Nos. Turning Red on the other hand I hated with a vengeance.

That's good to know about Bullet Train – I hope I like it as much as you did.

I have seen Turning Red twice and loved the animation style, a clever blend of Japanese and American styles which fits the characters and culture, and thought the story was funny and endearing.

J Harker 26th December 2022 01:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some nice deals on Shamazon. Quite a few Arrow titles. I took a blind buy punt on the Weird Wisconsin set which is currently £30. Cheapest I've seen it.Attachment 244052

MrBarlow 27th December 2022 02:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked these up with some Christmas money i got.

Attachment 244063

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th December 2022 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 680151)

Attachment 244063

:xmasbanana: Two classics in my opinion

iank 28th December 2022 12:29 AM

Arrived:

https://images.static-bluray.com/mov...g?t=1499307206

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 28th December 2022 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 680151)

Two superb films, both of which look and sound amazing in 4K Ultra HD, a notable improvement on the Blu-ray releases.

I hope the 30th Anniversary Edition of Bram Stoker's Dracula, which apparently has a slight uptick in picture quality because of Dolby Vision as well as HDR is released in the UK as well as the US.

Nordicdusk 28th December 2022 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 244070

First time in CEX in a few years what a find. As usual the case is destroyed from the layers of stickers.