Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

pedromonkey 4th February 2010 02:44 PM

you are correct steve, it is the Region 1 disc.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 02:45 PM

Yeah the backwards title gave it away.:pop2:

vipco 4th February 2010 03:24 PM

Is the STARZ BluRay disc of Dawn of the Dead the same version as ARROW's BluRay disc in they're DOTD BluRay set .?

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 61512)
Is the STARZ BluRay disc of Dawn of the Dead the same version as ARROW's BluRay disc in they're DOTD BluRay set .?

Yep,the theatrical version.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 04:22 PM

Got quite a few DVDs lately:

- The Crow
- Inglorious Bastards (birthday pressie this one)
- Judas Priest - Electric Eye!
- The Mummy / Creature From The Black Lagoon
- The Incredible Two-Headed Transplant / The Thing With Two Heads

and am still waiting for

-Delirium
- House On The Edge Of The Park!

(Damn postman!)

:cool:

Rob Strange 4th February 2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vipco (Post 61512)

Aye, more or less - they both derive from the same master, with very subtle variations in color and noise reduction.

Considering the sheer number of quality extras included, the Arrow release is clearly the best choice. Also, it makes sense to support a UK distributor (a choice made even easier when their release is produced with so much more effort).

42ndStreetFreak 4th February 2010 06:52 PM

Some cheap bargain finds;

"Boy Eats Girl"

"Into the Night"

"Gate of Flesh" ("Nikutai no mon"

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 08:22 PM

Absolutely the better version.

Well, I finally got round to watching Zombie's HALLOWEEN II last night.:lol:

Not a good film.Myers is always good to watch in any incarnation and there were a few good gore scenes,but WTF were those Sherri Moon Zombie scenes all about?:laugh: Talk about nepotism-jobs for the family!:biggrin:

Anyone who like slagging off Argento's Mother of Tears regarding Nicolodi's scenes should get a load of this!:lol:

Stevieoj,the theatrical release zipped along at quite a brisk place ;)

McDowell was awful in this one.:(
The only one who can hold his head up is Brad Dourif.:nod:

And tell me something else,was this shot on some sort of digital video film?:confused:

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 08:28 PM

Yep,Dourif is as watchable as ever.What the hell was with Sheri Zombie's wide bug-eyed expression throughout the film?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 08:33 PM

Must be on the smack mate.Smacking of rubbish!:lol:

I've seen worse though.A lot worse.:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevoj (Post 61463)
I assume it was the region 1 disc then?

I'm still waiting on my Blind Dead Collection from ebay,better not have been conned!

Most ebay 'sellers' use the pony express method mate.:biggrin:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 08:38 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ordered tonight,hopefully next weeks arrivals.....

Oh and picked up Away Days on Blu Ray from Blockbuster tonight.

I do like these football hooligan films....:rolleyes:

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 08:38 PM

Should be ok,it's only a day after the estimated delivery date.I'll give it another week.I'm just an impatient bugger :lol:

LineSix 4th February 2010 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 61562)
Ordered tonight,hopefully next weeks arrivals.....

Oh and picked up Away Days on Blu Ray from Blockbuster tonight.

I do like these football hooligan films....:rolleyes:

Away Days is a great film, it's as much about the 'scene' at the time (lots of good music) aswell as the football hooligan stuff.

The Australian Blu-Ray of American Psycho is the best, at least so I have heard and it's the version I own as we haven't even had it released over here yet and the American version is supposed to be awful in comparison to the Australian disc (which is superb, fantastic picture quality). I'm assuming the version you ordered is European? I'm not sure which country though and if the transfer is any good but anything is better than the US disc.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 09:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Comes from Switzerland mate.

Just bagged one of these as well.:cool:

antmumford 4th February 2010 09:30 PM

I won £10 on the lottery yesterday so decided to treat myself.

Went to Tesco's and picked up Thirst for just 7 quid. Couldn't believe it, only came out last week. I checked online to see if it happened to be cheaper elsewhere and the cheapest was a tenner from HMV so what a bargain that was. If you haven't got a copy yet then I suggest you head down to Tescos.

To break the tenner even I then grabbed District 13 for just 3 quid. Looking forward to seeing these :dance:

pedromonkey 4th February 2010 09:42 PM

nice score ant.

i won Demons on ebay today for 3.49.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th February 2010 10:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just bought the Optimum dvd of Dario Argento's Trauma.Certainly not his best but then again,certainly not his worst :lol: I already own the region 1 Anchor Bay edition but the Optimum disc only cost £4 and I liked this artwork better than the AB cover :D

Gojirosan 5th February 2010 01:47 PM

Some recent arrivals:

Long Weekend (haven't seen it for many years!)
Charley Varrick (ditto!)
Rats: Night Of Terror (never seen it, looks hilarious!)
Psycho - Anniversary 2 Disk thing
The Pit And The Pendulum (Corman - decided to finally go ahead and get all the Corman Poe DVDs after several years um-ing and ah-ing, expecting the sublime Masque Of The Red Death soon too)
Another load of true crime documentaries (Cold Case Files, Born To Kill etc)
[*REC] - 2 disk job - watched the film last night, was very impressed with picture and sound quality of this Contender release.

Also, I awoke to discover that an idle bid on eBay had "won" me Ruggero Deodato's Dial: Help, which I have never seen.

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 02:06 PM

Just recieved Excessive Force (starring Thomas Ian Griffith from Carpenter's underrated Vampires) and Excessive Force II,both from Amazon and bought from Poundland,Undisputed II and the double feature Anchor Bay The Incredible Hulk Returns/Trial Of The Incredible Hulk.Couldn't pass that one up for a pound!

Pete 5th February 2010 02:10 PM

Recent buys:

Halloween 3 - Sanctuary (I know it's cut (and I do have the uncut MIA disc) but it was only £1)
2000 Maniacs - Odeon/Something Wierd £3
Dragon Tiger Gate - Cine Asia £1
Family Guy season 7 - £10

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loops (Post 61667)
Family Guy season 7 - £10

giggity giggity. :thumb:

pedromonkey 5th February 2010 02:48 PM

dragon tiger gate is awesome, Donnie Yen rules in that.

just picked up...

DEMONS 2
DRESSED TO KILL (never seen this)
A CHINESE GHOST STORY (HKL special edition)
BAVA BOXSET VOL.1 that includes
Mask of satan
Black Sabath
The girl who new too much
Knives of the avenger
and Kill baby Kill.

Only Bava movie i've ever seen is Planet of the Vampires so im thinking this is a good place to start. That lot cost me 22.00

Vampix 5th February 2010 03:01 PM

Just picked up Carpenter's They Live but for some reason I purchased the Universal R1 and not the Optimum R2 disc with commentary & extras.The Universal release has no extras whatsoever. :dizzy:

antmumford 5th February 2010 04:34 PM

My girlfriend finishes work early Friday's so she pops into Brighton to browse and such. Being the gorgeous little angel she is, she turned up with a plastic bag and placed it on my lap. Low and behold within the bag was:

Pontypool on DVD
Gamer on Blu-ray and
Antichrist on Blu-ray

I told you she was an angel, me's a very lucky man. She looks after me :nurse:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th February 2010 10:06 PM

Ah yes I know what you mean.
Mine turns up with a bag and throws it in my lap and says what do you think?

Only eighty quid.....:lol:

Sam 6th February 2010 04:57 PM

My 3-disc Eureka edition of Bad Boy Bubby (1 DVD, 1 Blu-ray and 1 Digital copy) arrived today and the presentation is great - there's even an Arrow-style 20 page booklet!! Seems a snip at 9 quid on amazon!

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th February 2010 06:32 PM

Watched the District 13 (Banlieue 13) this afternoon.Thoroughly enjoyed it.Some good action setpieces and a great soundtrack.Recommended for fans of The Transporter.Going to watch District 13:Ultimatum later tonight.:thumb:

Daemonia 7th February 2010 02:10 PM

Watched the UK BD of The Warriors and thoroughly enjoyed it...again. It's the first time I've seen the new Director's Cut, so it was kind of a new experience. Absolutely stunning HD transfer, I have to say. Recommended. Although I'll be hanging onto the original version on DVD as well.

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th February 2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 61912)
Watched the UK BD of The Warriors

Two things I hate about the Director's Cut of The film....Walter Hill's gravely voiceover at the beginning is like someone scraping their nails across a blackboard :eek: and the rearranging of the reveal of the baseball furies with that stupid comic book panel really ruins the shot.For me,a case of the origianl version being superior.

Rob Strange 7th February 2010 03:05 PM

I'd not seen the film until this director's cut, so I could live with the changes.

But if I was a fan of the original, I'd go apeshit if the film I loved suddenly broke into comic strip animation.

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th February 2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 61389)
SUSPIRIA.
Two words.

****ING AWESOME!:nod:

I'll second that! Watched it this afternoon.Yes there are a couple of moments in the film where the contrast and colour is different from previous versions but everyone on the net was talking like it was the end of the world.I can live with it,Suspiria has certainly never looked or sounded better.I could have lived without those extra features though.Film analysis isn't really my thing.Give me a good old fashioned making of anyday.

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th February 2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Strange (Post 61920)
I'd not seen the film until this director's cut, so I could live with the changes.

Never watch it then.I hope someday they see sense and release the original on blu-ray though.It's not like it would have been hard to include both versions on the disc. :suspicious:

Rob Strange 7th February 2010 03:42 PM

That's the problem when directors dry up and can only use their dwindling creativity on their back catologue.

Just in regards to Suspiria: I think the commentary track is very good, because Alan Jones and Kim Newman are both excellent and know how to talk about films in a way that doesn't sound like self-masterbatory indulgence, ie. it's less about their creative interpretation and more about the film's place in terms of genre and history, etc. Some of the other 'analysis' doesn't fare so well imo.

mbv 7th February 2010 05:11 PM

Picked up a few things today..

Short films of David Lynch
Trauma(Argento)
Night of the demon
Blacula/Scream Blacula scream

vincenzo 7th February 2010 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Strange (Post 61920)

But if I was a fan of the original, I'd go apeshit if the film I loved suddenly broke into comic strip animation.

I am and I did. I loved the film and the DC is nothing short of a travesty. :ack:

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th February 2010 06:54 PM

Well said Vince.I can understand what Hill was trying to do by reinforcing the comic book aspects of the film but he failed completely and interrupted the flow of several scenes in the process.The movie was pretty much perfect the way it was.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th February 2010 06:56 PM

Just watched the classic ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST on BR.
It looked absolutely stunning.

A perfectly cast and moving all time classic.

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th February 2010 07:06 PM

I hope you didn't shed a tear at the end Reaps.:tongue1:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th February 2010 07:23 PM

I just picked up this beauty:

http://www.laserdisken.dk/billeder/f...7694261001.jpg

which contains:

http://www.laserdisken.dk/billeder/f...8251597254.jpg

http://www.laserdisken.dk/billeder/f...1281619447.jpg

http://www.laserdisken.dk/billeder/f...5868147591.jpg

http://www.laserdisken.dk/billeder/f...6096153156.jpg

:biggrin: