Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Susan Foreman 27th December 2012 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suziginajackson; - 24/12/12: 305474
Of course...the animals always come first, so I rushed into town at the crack of dawn to get them some food

Of course...by the time I got home, there was a card thru the door...!

Finally...

Just got back from the sorting office with my order

I have an enjoyable afternoon ahead of me, cataloging my films!

Rik 27th December 2012 11:13 AM

Glad some people are receiving their orders, finally. I'm sure the rest will arrive soon :)
Anyway, seeing as I'm currently working my way through the updated Argento book by Alan Jones, courtesy of my sister for Chrimbo, I thought I'd check out Mother of Tears. Paid a measly £2.42 from Amazon for the DVD, so if its as bad as everyone says, I haven't lost out on that much.
Funds permitting, I plan on completing my Argento collection in the near future, something I've wanted to do for awhile now

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
First of the post-xmas post turned up some good stuff :woot: . . .

VicDakin 27th December 2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 306127)
First of the post-xmas post turned up some good stuff :woot: . . .

cool where did you get the false hand from?

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 306124)
I'm currently working my way through the updated Argento book by Alan Jones

Ditto. I'm working my way backwards through it. Did Dracula 3D and Giallo last night. Both sound horrific (in the worst way), but must admit I'm now tempted to rent Giallo :eek: . . .

Rik 27th December 2012 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 306129)
Ditto. I'm working my way backwards through it. Did Dracula 3D and Giallo last night. Both sound horrific (in the worst way), but must admit I'm now tempted to rent Giallo :eek: . . .

I was thinking the same about Giallo, it's gotta be better than the Card Player!

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 11:58 AM

Quite sweet how the American writer still has a positive view of the whole experience. After all, he got to write an Argento film! Does sound like something got lost in translation though, and the meddling starpower of Adrian Brody doesn't seem to have helped matters . . .

Gojirosan 27th December 2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 306133)
Quite sweet how the American writer still has a positive view of the whole experience. After all, he got to write an Argento film! Does sound like something got lost in translation though, and the meddling starpower of Adrian Brody doesn't seem to have helped matters . . .

If there is one main issue with Giallo it is Brody. His awful work aside it's an adequate enough thriller to pass the time.

Unfortunately, the film does rather centre itself around Brody! :(

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 12:25 PM

Even without having seen it, I know the original attached casting of Ray Liotta and Vincent Gallo as cop and killer would've been much more preferable . . .

nekromantik 27th December 2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 306091)
Looks like I wont be posting new buys as much, just recieved a phone call my store is shutting and i'll be unemployed for the new year :(

Bummer really, and jobs around here are like rocking horse s**t so i'll need to be damnned careful with my spends.

:eek:
sorry to hear that. should have some opportunity during January new job hopefully.

PaulD 27th December 2012 01:09 PM

Sorry to hear that mate. Such a poor time for it to happen too. Hope you find something soon.

Susan Foreman 27th December 2012 02:13 PM

Mr Arts - ever thought about working behind a bar?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th December 2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Looks like I wont be posting new buys as much, just recieved a phone call my store is shutting and i'll be unemployed for the new year :(

Bummer really, and jobs around here are like rocking horse s**t so i'll need to be damnned careful with my spends.

Really sorry to hear that, keirarts. I hope you're not in the job market very long and secure employment somewhere close very quickly.

Criterion7 27th December 2012 02:48 PM

Just got back from Boxing Day sales. Picked up:
Prometheus 3d 4 disc BLU ray set
Tintin limited edition 3D BLU
Dark Shadows BLU
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter 3D BLU

Also grabbed my gf Magic Mike BLU.

Not dvd but also picked up

24" 3D Sony gaming tv
New super Mario bros 2
Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale

There's probably more I'm forgetting but I'm too tired to think now.

SShaw 27th December 2012 03:09 PM

received Headhunters and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy as Christmas presents :) and took advantage of Christmas in the U.K. to visit HMV and Fopp, but nothing caught my attention :(

Daemonia 27th December 2012 03:14 PM

Received this today - and I ordered it Christmas Eve! That was bloody quick, Amazon!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Daemonia 27th December 2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

I'm genuinely really, really sorry to hear this, keirarts. Really hope something turns up soon, as dealing with the DWP is a ****ing nightmare.

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SShaw (Post 306188)
received Headhunters and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy as Christmas presents :) and took advantage of Christmas in the U.K. to visit HMV and Fopp, but nothing caught my attention :(

A couple of fantastic films there :clap:

Nothing in Fopp caught you attention :eek: ??! Does not compute :crazy: . . .

Hawkmonger 27th December 2012 03:45 PM

I just don't GET all the hate for The Card Player. If it had been the debute form a new director, it would have been criticaly praised. As it is people hammer it with there loin's until it's so battered it's begging for mercy...what has Suzi done to me?!

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 306212)
If it had been the debute form a new director, it would have been criticaly praised.

You really think so? Really ??? I think it would've been roundly ignored without the name 'Dario Argento' on the poster . . .

Rik 27th December 2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 306212)
I just don't GET all the hate for The Card Player. If it had been the debute form a new director, it would have been criticaly praised. As it is people hammer it with there loin's until it's so battered it's begging for mercy...what has Suzi done to me?!

Probably because its a steaming pile of Ratman's turd and only fit for use in Guantanamo Bay as a means of torturing terrorists into submission

Hawkmonger 27th December 2012 03:51 PM

I enjoy watching it, I must have seen it several time's by now. It's not classic, i've never believed that, it's just entertaining. And that's all I EVER ask of a film, Argento or otherwise.

Rik 27th December 2012 03:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 306216)
I enjoy watching it, I must have seen it several time's by now. It's not classic, i've never believed that, it's just entertaining. And that's all I EVER ask of a film, Argento or otherwise.

I've only watched it once and this is how I was able to see it out to the end
Attachment 94773

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 27th December 2012 03:57 PM

I don't mind The Card Player even though it is distinctly mediocre and lacking in many ways. It's best to first watch it without any expectations or, if you have any, make them low so you won't be disappointed!

Slippery Jack 27th December 2012 04:01 PM

I never found it insultingly awful, I mean it's competently put together (just about - the plot is threadbare and the production values are bargain basement). It's just so deeply dull (arguably a worse sin) . . .

Rik 27th December 2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 306219)
I don't mind The Card Player even though it is distinctly mediocre and lacking in many ways. It's best to first watch it without any expectations or, if you have any, make them low so you won't be disappointed!

When I watched it, I hadn't read any reviews or comments about it. I may give it another go sometime, but it's highly likely it will be just another piss poor film in my collection

Gojirosan 27th December 2012 04:49 PM

I liked The Card Player.

Didn't get the objections to it at all. Decent enough flick, I thought.

Rik 27th December 2012 04:50 PM

I guess it's just another of those 'each to his own' situations, like I've said many a time on here, if we all liked the same things it'd be pretty damn boring on here :)

keirarts 27th December 2012 05:16 PM

Many thanks to everyone!

I live in a bit of en employment black spot but i'm sure something will turn up.

Always fancied writing a book or heading back to college to study web design or animation..

Rik 27th December 2012 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 306251)
Many thanks to everyone!

I live in a bit of en employment black spot but i'm sure something will turn up.

Always fancied writing a book or heading back to college to study web design or animation..

Best thing to happen to me was getting made redundant almost 3 years ago, I spent 14 years working as an electrician on freezing cold building sites which I began to despise, so I decided to go back to college and now I've got loads of job prospects, none of which involve putting on a hard hat and steel toecap boots again.
This could be a kick up the arse for you like it was for me, either way I hope you get sorted soon :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th December 2012 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up John Carter from Asda for £3. It said £5 on the shelf though. :confused: :)

demonknight 27th December 2012 06:00 PM

In the past week I've checked out the following movies all on bluray.
Zombie Flesh Eaters
Dead Alive
Paranoiac
Earth Vs The flying saucers

That's it for the moment.
Enjoyed all of the above but watching Dead Alive
after all these years was a real treat.Can't decide
what to watch tonight though.Was thinking either
Curse of Frankenstein or Puppetmaster.Hope to
visit my local Hmv shop tomorrow and use up
some of the vouchers I received as Christmas
gifts.

profondo rosso 27th December 2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 306221)
I never found it insultingly awful, I mean it's competently put together (just about - the plot is threadbare and the production values are bargain basement). It's just so deeply dull (arguably a worse sin) . . .

I enjoyed the card player thought it is a little slow on pace. Argento's films when mediocre have always been enhanced by the score! Creepers ( cant spell fenomena!) had a great soundtrack for me which took it to another level. The Card Player had a poop score.

Talking of other levels and scores, would the card player of been soooo much better if they used Donkey Kong instead of the boring card game? Hit a barrell....she loses an eye!

Would you of watched it if it was called Donkey Kong Player though?

profondo rosso 27th December 2012 06:55 PM

Just bought Plan 9 BD for £3.95 apparently region free...bargain!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plan-Outer-S...6638358&sr=8-2

and Ed Wood also region free I believe, both according to www.blu-ray.com

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...aL._SL500_.jpg
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ed-Wood-Blu-...6638405&sr=1-2

Nordicdusk 27th December 2012 06:57 PM

Does Plan 9 include the B & W version.

profondo rosso 27th December 2012 06:59 PM

yes, put link on now...oops!:)

Susan Foreman 27th December 2012 07:06 PM

Ed Wood!

You really CANNOT go wrong here!

profondo rosso 27th December 2012 07:08 PM

Not seen it Suzi, one of those films thats escaped me but Plan 9 prompted me to buy double!

profondo rosso 27th December 2012 07:09 PM

This looks quite good! Think Ill be buying this on release!

Maniac - OFFICIAL RED BAND TRAILER #2 HD (2013) - ELIJAH WOOD MOVIE - MEGATRAILER TV - YouTube

Susan Foreman 27th December 2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profondo rosso (Post 306309)
Not seen it Suzi, one of those films thats escaped me but Plan 9 prompted me to buy double!

I meant both films, but the Tim Burton biopic is a very good, and loving, portrait of the man in question

'Plan 9' is one of my all-time favorite films, and I really do not believe that it deserves all the criticism that it has got over the years