Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree6122Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th June 2012, 10:22 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
My thoughts exactly. Compared to nearly every boutique label out there, there is just no love with the TT releases. Seriously, $35 for a film with no special features other than having a short print run? How lazy can you get? Olive, Kino, MOC, Arrow, BFI et al all put these guys to shame.

I'm sorry, but their whole business plan seems like total BS - 'I know, let's just do the bare amount of work possible and then maximise demand by only printing 3000 copies! Ker-ching!'

Oh, and it's okay because the broad-shouldered powerfully built studio exec used to spend $100 on laserdiscs back in the day ...
I prefer the model other cult film releasers are using. A first printing with lots of collectable packaging, numbered ect. Then a cheaper budget release for those who just want the movie. Thats said I will be forking out £21 quid on axel for the most dangerous game blu-ray. But from what I read thats got an academic commentary, a doc and an extra film as part of the packaging.

I dont mind paying a bit extra when I feel i'm really getting something for it.
Old 11th June 2012, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist

You guys do realize that the extras and whatnot are determined by Sony (or whichever company they're dealing with)? The extras they make sure to include are always an isolated score track and a booklet with an essay by some critic. Their prices are a bit high, but they're charging full SRP, as most companies do. Sure, I wish the prices were lower, but considering these companies aren't going to release them (in the US), then it's better than nothing. People have indeed gotten spoiled by stores like Amazon and Walmart.
Baseball Fury likes this.
Old 11th June 2012, 10:28 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? to get a US BD release in October!

Press release pic:

oaxaca, sawyer6 and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 12th June 2012, 12:16 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
You guys do realize that the extras and whatnot are determined by Sony (or whichever company they're dealing with)? The extras they make sure to include are always an isolated score track and a booklet with an essay by some critic. Their prices are a bit high, but they're charging full SRP, as most companies do. Sure, I wish the prices were lower, but considering these companies aren't going to release them (in the US), then it's better than nothing. People have indeed gotten spoiled by stores like Amazon and Walmart.
I appreciate the extras being stifled with nothing they can do but there are other companies licensing from majors, putting more effort in and not employing the same model. To be honest, the whole TT thing strikes me as just attempting to be a bit elitist along with attempting to cover the cost of the titles that don't sell well.

I've got nothing against paying good money. I spent £27 on a DVD the other day but at least that had some effort put in in the sense that all the groundwork and extras had been done by the company and it was quite nicely packaged as well.

Like I said, this is just TT slapping a hand-me-down HD transfer onto disc which is probably no different to what Olive or Image are doing. I'll be buying Mysterious Island, Journey to the Centre of the Earth and The Big Heat sometime I'm sure but if they were more reasonably priced I would have them already and if they were to sell out, I can't say I'll be overly disappointed.
keirarts likes this.
Old 12th June 2012, 10:55 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The US dvd cover for the re-release of Little Shop Of Horrors. Expect the blu-ray to be the same. Now tell me you don't care about artwork!!!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339541690.355415.jpg
Old 12th June 2012, 11:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
The US dvd cover for the re-release of Little Shop Of Horrors. Expect the blu-ray to be the same. Now tell me you don't care about artwork!!!!!

Attachment 68579
Shit cover but as I sooooo need this film on Blu, I wouldn't care if it came in a bag of excrement.

Have created a new thread for this release to discuss it further too, the Blu will be a digibook!

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 13th June 2012, 08:42 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Press release pic:

A Digibook – the release just gets better and better!
Old 13th June 2012, 12:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Diabolik DVD have posted on FB that Jess Franco's CELESTINE is getting a BD release but without English audio and subs.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 13th June 2012, 01:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Diabolik DVD have posted on FB that Jess Franco's CELESTINE is getting a BD release but without English audio and subs.
Ya...oh...
Old 13th June 2012, 01:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
That makes the niche audience even smaller!

Like this? Share it using the links below!