LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd September 2012, 04:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Thinking about it, there's probably more chance of his older brother being scared ha ha, I think I'll risk it at half term in the next couple of weeks
Like Kyle said, it will hopefully be a memorable experience for both boys, especially if they grow up to be horror film fans! If one or both of them become film fans, especially loving horror films, this could be a fond memory of the first horror film/memorable film/3-D film they saw at the cinema (even if it isn't!).
iluvdvds@Cult Labs and Rik like this.
Old 23rd September 2012, 06:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda View Post
Worse or better than the last one? I love parts one to three, but I thought part four was pretty mediocre...

Greetings!
Much better than part 4, but not as good as the original.
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:11 PM
Cult Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds@Cult Labs View Post
Well there are a few moments he may find scary, Rik. 4 might be a bit too young.
Playing Devil's Advocate, and possibly opening myself up to a lot of comments, but Kyle, do you not think you are falling into BBFC territory here - i.e. saying what YOU think should be seen and what is NOT acceptable to people of a certain age?

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

What a ridiculous thing to say. He was asked for his opinion, having watched the film itself, not stating a fact.
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:18 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
What a ridiculous thing to say. He was asked for his opinion, having watched the film itself, not stating a fact.
True, much the same as the way I waited until I was absolutely certain The Dark Knight Rises was ok for my 8 year old to watch before I took him. I want my kids to enjoy trips to the cinema, not be terrified by the films we watch, so by getting some advice beforehand it saves on the hassle later
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd September 2012, 08:25 PM
Cult Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
True, much the same as the way I waited until I was absolutely certain The Dark Knight Rises was ok for my 8 year old to watch before I took him. I want my kids to enjoy trips to the cinema, not be terrified by the films we watch, so by getting some advice beforehand it saves on the hassle later
But with all due respect, and again opening my self up to comments, surely that at all the BBFC do - stating a fact (!) as to what they think is acceptable for 'public viewing'

*Note - I am against the BBFC as much as you are!

Old 23rd September 2012, 08:44 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Personally I don't think the BBFC is a bad thing, in principle...most of the time. By giving films certification based on age and providing information like 'contains scenes of violence' etc, it does let parents know roughly what to expect from the film, for their kids. Afterall, the certificates only go up to an 18, after that watch what you like.

...UNTIL they start censoring and banning things! That's the line they wrongly cross. Providing people with a guidance of what to expect (via a certificate) is the way to go, but banning and cutting things is a whole nother issue. Of course, whether those younger than the certificate should be admitted even with parents is something else too.

So,Suzi, yep, I do think the BBFC should carry on rating films, but not censoring.

Plus, Rik asked for our advice and opinion, whereas the BBFC tells us their opinions.
Rik and Susan Foreman like this.
Old 23rd September 2012, 09:18 PM
Cult Don

Quote:
...UNTIL they start censoring and banning things! That's the line they wrongly cross. Providing people with a guidance of what to expect (via a certificate) is the way to go, but banning and cutting things is a whole nother issue. Of course, whether those younger than the certificate should be admitted even with parents is something else too.
Agreed, and that is the point I was trying (and possibly failing) to make

I don't have a problem with a rating system - as you say, giving information to people about the kind of images/sounds etc that a film contains. That is good, and shoud be used to indicate what a viewer is likely to see

My problem is with people who say that this can only be seen by someone who is 'x' years old, which ( as always with all due respect) is what you seemed to do:

Quote:
Well there are a few moments he may find scary, Rik. 4 might be a bit too young..
I am assuming that you do not know Rik, and you do not know his children, and therefore I don't see how you could suggest that some scenes might be scary..Rik's children may have been brought up on 'The Exorcist'. so modern films might be 'Child's Play' (no pun intended). Alternately, his children mignt find 'Balamory' terrifying, so any kind of scary film might be unsuitable!

Look, I have had a long and tiring day, and I don't know what I'm saying

Think I should go and get some toast!
Rik likes this.

Old 23rd September 2012, 09:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post

I am assuming that you do not know Rik, and you do not know his children, and therefore I don't see how you could suggest that some scenes might be scary..Rik's children may have been brought up on 'The Exorcist'. so modern films might be 'Child's Play' (no pun intended). Alternately, his children mignt find 'Balamory' terrifying, so any kind of scary film might be unsuitable!
I know you not implying that I've let my kids watch this, but can you imagine the sort of trouble I'd be in if I had ha ha!
And seeing as you unintentionally mentioned Child's Play, Dylan(my eldest) is terrified of Chucky, I'm not sure where he's seen him before(I don't own any of them or have watched the films in his company), but every time we go into CEX he won't go anywhere near the B & C sections because they have Chucky films on display! He even had a nightmare about him the other week after a visit to said shop.

I find Balamory terrifying though!
Susan Foreman likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 23rd September 2012, 10:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The BBFC rated it PG:

Quote:
PG stands for Parental Guidance. A PG film should not disturb a child aged around eight or older. However, parents are advised to consider whether the content may upset younger or more sensitive children.
For extensive details, go to the PBBFC website:

Parents bbfc - Film detail

Like this? Share it using the links below!