Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Films Have You Seen Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/220-what-films-have-you-seen-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th December 2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 515306)
Krampus (2015)

I received this from Lovefilm today and will watch it tonight despite it no longer being the festive season. On one hand, this will allow me to judge it as a film on its own merits and not as part of an occasion. On the other hand, it may lose some of the sentimental appeal. Either way, I'll do my best to report back in the morning.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th December 2016 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 515320)
I received this from Lovefilm today and will watch it tonight despite it no longer being the festive season. On one hand, this will allow me to judge it as a film on its own merits and not as part of an occasion. On the other hand, it may lose some of the sentimental appeal. Either way, I'll do my best to report back in the morning.

You are just about still in the festive season. As long as the Beeb are still running their Christmas idents you are okay. And they were last night. :lol:

Justin101 30th December 2016 02:43 PM

I took the tree down this afternoon haha

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th December 2016 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 515323)
I took the tree down this afternoon haha

It's supposedly bad luck to take it down before New Year.

Justin101 30th December 2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 515325)
It's supposedly bad luck to take it down before New Year.

I'm not remotely superstitious. You make your own luck.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th December 2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 515327)
I'm not remotely superstitious. You make your own luck.

Obviously the Krampus will be coming for you next year.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 30th December 2016 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 515321)
You are just about still in the festive season. As long as the Beeb are still running their Christmas idents you are okay. And they were last night. :lol:

I suppose it isn't January yet and our tree is, for today at least, still downstairs and decorated, so we are probably still in what can be described as the festive season.

Demdike@Cult Labs 30th December 2016 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 515329)
I suppose it isn't January yet and our tree is, for today at least, still downstairs and decorated, so we are probably still in what can be described as the festive season.

For me the festive season runs to the end of New Years Day. The traditional New Years concert from Vienna is a required piece of seasonal viewing for me.

The 12th Night is when the decs should come down. So no later than next Thursday. Oddly the night counts as the following day until the evening sets in. That's then the 13th Night.

J Harker 30th December 2016 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 515306)
Krampus (2015) was my Christmas Eve film and in the above post JHarker sums it up rather well. The first half is full of unlikable characters sniping at each other and in truth is instantly forgettable. It's not until the Krampus is summoned that things perk up.

There are a wonderful assortment of creatures, one of them reminded me of the toothy killer dolls from Barbarella, however the Krampus itself isn't actually around that much. The best Krampus action is actually in A Christmas Horror Story (2015) when he slugs it out with Santa.

All in all, Krampus is okay and certainly worth a watch. It's just a shame Dougherty couldn't replicate his Trick r' Treat success with this seasonal offering.

I think the key problem was the casting. I really don't like Adam Scott and this really isn't his sort of thing. I don't mind Toni Collette but all American 'mom' doesn't suit her either.

Rik 30th December 2016 03:41 PM

I enjoyed it, but seeing as I'll only watch it once a year, I'm in no rush to buy it