Like Tree181803Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th June 2024, 11:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Inside Out 2

The main characters are back and this time they are joined by newer emotions because Riley is getting older. When Anxiety takes over and banishes Joy and the rest of the originals, Riley's demeanor starts to change and it's up to Joy to save Riley. This was entertaining with a good script and storyline.

Slaughter High

If A.I. was around in 1986 and somebody used it to create a script for a Slasher Movie about a bullied boy who is the victim of a Practical Joke and severely burned at School by the Bullies, who lures them back for a reunion on a anniversary, so he can kill them off in gory ways and for there be a twist at the end. This would be it with the requisite bad acting and some dodgy F/X in some cases.

Obviously in 2024, it's flaws are there to be seen but it has it's charm and if I had seen this back in the day, I probably would have enjoyed it even more. Definitely not one for repeat viewing but once in a long while assuming I've forgotten what's happened.

Furiosa

Prequel to Fury Road, which sees a young Furiosa kidnapped but is then caught in a power struggle between two warring gangs, one of which is led by Chris Hemsworth. This was a decent watch with great visuals and Action scenes but it's nothing you haven't seen before if you've seen the other Films in the Franchise. I'm a fan of Chris Hemsworth and was interested to see how he would portray a villain, he was quite good, definitely hamming it up but I think he can play a more serious baddie in another Film.
Apparently new mad max film has been a major flop and disaster that it?s been pulled from over 880 cinemas.

Mad Max Furiosa's box office collections broke a nearly 30-year-old record for the worst opening.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/us/movie...-worst-opening
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 18th June 2024, 04:28 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is it Death Walks on High Heels?
Yes, that seems to be the one! Thank you very much, Dem!
Old 18th June 2024, 08:45 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Apparently new mad max film has been a major flop and disaster that it?s been pulled from over 880 cinemas.

Mad Max Furiosa's box office collections broke a nearly 30-year-old record for the worst opening.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/us/movie...-worst-opening
Sorry I meant another Film not associated with Mad Nax
Old 18th June 2024, 09:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movie 79

Xchange. 2001.

In a futuristic world where travelling is deemed possible to exchange bodies with someone at the destination, a corporate employee's body is hijacked by a terrorist.

Kim Coates plays the lucky employee who doesn't exchange his body but lands in the body of Kyle Maclachan for a meeting only to be told his body is gone and has to stay in the host body he has and realise that there a time limit for the body to expire. He jumps into Stephen Baldwin and the time limit is shortened.

I think this was one of those straight to dvd movies, I saw a trailer for it years ago and seemed interesting even though Stephen Baldwin was in his pike at career status to be a leading actor. The plot is actually interesting and can't help that it does have a feel of Face/Off to it but for a B grade film this is worth a watch.

p26571_p_v8_ab.jpg
Old 21st June 2024, 05:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Pet Sematary (1989)

Stephen King adapts the screenplay from his own novel and makes this a compulsive watch in what is a grim tale about a couple who move into a new home with their young son. A home on the edge of a truck highway and with a nearby pet cemetery which has the power to reanimate corpses.

A partial reworking of the famed Monkey's Paw fable this ambles along at a leisurely pace as the newbies get to know neigbour Judd Randall (An excellent Fred Gwynne) with are only occasional shivers of horror, but once the inevitable happens those that stick with it are genuinely rewarded with a very nasty final third which may well strike a raw nerve with some viewers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pet_sematary_poster.jpg (27.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 21st June 2024, 10:36 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Coast of Skeletons (1965)

A rather lacklustre Harry Alan Towers production starring Richard Todd as Edgar Wallace's Harry Sanders, investigating insurance fraud and a stash of WWII gold bullion in the clear waters of the North African coast.

It all sounds like it could be quite a thriller and there is some lovely South African location photography, but some poor acting - Dale Robertson, bloody hell! - and an uninvolving script make this one of Towers lesser efforts.
Old 22nd June 2024, 05:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Puppet Masters. 1994.

A spaceship lands in a small midwest town, the lcals begin to act strange, a secret government agency investigates and discovers aliens have attached themselves to human and try to control them. Donald Sutherland R.I.P takes lead as the high ranking official who has a strained relationship with his son Eric Thal and Julie Warner on loan from NASA try to discover what happened after news broke out of a UFO landing that became a hoax orchestrated by a few kids. This is not the best alien invasion film but certainly not the worst.

61tRvgIOd+L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. 1978.

Second Donald Sutherland feature where he plays a health inspector and realises something is wrong when people begin to act strangely and uncovers the human race being taken over by aliens that clone the human race. The original version is always a classic and this was a remake that was done right with great writing, direction and solid acting and does have you on the edge of your seat with a nice curveball twist at the end to the end whaling that can still send a shiver down your spine.

MV5BMTkzY2Y3ZTMtYTg4Yy00OTNjLTlkNjctMGVlZDMwZWIxMzA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTIzOTk5ODM@._V1_.jpg
Old 22nd June 2024, 09:07 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Unseen Movie 80

Don't Say A Word. 2001.

Michael Douglas plays a psychiatrist who is asked to look art new patient Brittany Murphy by fellow colleague Oliver Platt, meanwhile bad guy Sean Bean wants a number that's locked in the mind of the patient and goes to great lengths to get it.I saw the trailer for this years back and never thought i'd give this a look and not one i'd sit through and enjoy, I was wrong to avoid this one. Very well made and creative, it does have you thinking what would Sean Bean want with a number, is it to do with another planned robbery and then it all fits into place. Michael Douglas was perfectly cast as the doctor who is given the rules and then creates his own rules. Sean Bean has always been a great talented actor playing both good and bad guy roles and this one suited him perfectly. One i'd happily return to watch.

Dont_Say_a_Word_movie.jpg
Old 22nd June 2024, 09:53 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. 1978.

Second Donald Sutherland feature where he plays a health inspector and realises something is wrong when people begin to act strangely and uncovers the human race being taken over by aliens that clone the human race. The original version is always a classic and this was a remake that was done right with great writing, direction and solid acting and does have you on the edge of your seat with a nice curveball twist at the end to the end whaling that can still send a shiver down your spine.

Attachment 251569
I feel like I'm definitely in the minority but I really don't rate the 70s remake of Body Snatchers, I've watched a few times to 'make sure' and I just don't vibe with it at all. Which is strange because the cast is great.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 22nd June 2024, 10:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS - That's quite a weird title, isn't it? What does it mean, where does it come from? It sounds like it might be a quote, perhaps from a psalm or something, I don't know... my googling patience runs thin these days. Anyway, I kept waiting for a mouth with some madness in it to appear, but what I got was Sam Neil as a gumshoe who cracks up in a small creepy horror town after the target of his investigations, rogue horror author Jurgen Prochnow, starts messing with the fabric of reality (not sure how really, if he had a magic typewriter it wasn't expanded upon). If references to S King and HP (talk of 'The Old Ones' and Hotel Pickman) shore up the literary angle of this tale of otherworldly woe, the main thrust is cinematic - it's basically one of those 'what if reality was just a dream / madness / virtual reality / insert sketchy plateau of consciousness of your choice' movies that were rife in the eighties and nineties in the wake of 'Videodrome' and the rise of potheads with computers. It's commonly spoken of as John Carpenter's 'last good film, but they'll be saying that about 'The Ward' in a couple of years. ITMOM takes a horror funhouse / 'one weird scene after another' type approach, which I endorse even if some find it bitty, and if it can't quite measure up to its nearest antecedent ('Prince Of Darkness') it has a good laugh trying.

MIKEY - A fresh-faced kid moves from home to home after bad things happen to the ones who take him in. Will his new teacher discover the awful truth? This DTV-era 'Bad Seed' has that slightly caricatured aspect common to mid / low tier horror films of the early nineties, and it makes the sight of murderous orphan Mikey wielding a crossbow or pulverising some step-dad's head with a baseball bat pop all the more. I could've done with a bit more mayhem - most of the midsection is build - but the crossover between meanspirited bad vibes and cardboard, self-mocking video store schlock worked for me. The BBFC demonstrated their wonderful taste and great sensitivity by effectively banning it in the UK post-Bulger, which seems like a case of hijacking human tragedy in the name of a trivial cultural war waged by dicks.

Like this? Share it using the links below!