Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181803Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th February 2011, 11:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Just seen Alien Resurrection TC
it was ok I spose, the directors cut was a bit better.

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 18th February 2011, 11:54 PM
Ex-member
Good Trader

CHANDLER - Having never seen (or heard) of it I was looking forward to this one as a Warren Oates performance is usually worth a watch. It was ok but nothing special. Don't get me wrong the film has it's merits but maybe I was expecting too much out of it.

It's one of them films that the studio messed around with after it was made.

From the imdb:

According to "Uprising at MGM," a Time Magazine article of Dec. 27, 1971, director Paul Magwood and producer Michael Laughlin placed a black-bordered ad in the Hollywood Reporter apologizing for the movie, claiming that MGM studio chief James T. Aubrey had severely re-cut Chandler (1971) and added previously deleted scenes, in Aubrey's judgment, to simplify the plot. Aubrey also allegedly changed the film score from 1940s-type music to something more contemporary. The producer and director also claimed that Magwood was denied entry to the editing room while Aubrey revised the film.

Old 19th February 2011, 06:48 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
Watched Jean-Pierre Jeunet's MICMACS again last night
Very good with the usual Jeunet style
I read this film is R rated on dvd in the US
Thought it would of been a PG-13
It's only a 12 here in the UK
If you enjoyed Micmacs you should check out Jodorowsky's Rainbow Thief, if you haven't already seen it. It's available on English-friendly DVD and Blu-ray in Germany.
Old 19th February 2011, 07:05 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
If you enjoyed Micmacs you should check out Jodorowsky's Rainbow Thief, if you haven't already seen it. It's available on English-friendly DVD and Blu-ray in Germany.
Looks interesting. Anyone know the best site to pick up German Blu-rays? I found it on Amazon for £15 but thought I'd see if it's cheaper elsewhere.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 19th February 2011, 07:14 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
Looks interesting. Anyone know the best site to pick up German Blu-rays? I found it on Amazon for £15 but thought I'd see if it's cheaper elsewhere.
That's less than I paid when I bought mine from there eighteen months ago.
Old 19th February 2011, 08:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Chinese Ghost Story 3
Old 19th February 2011, 09:20 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
Chinese Ghost Story 3
Total classic! Would love to see this again, having the HKL DVDs of 1 & 2. Where did you buy it?

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 19th February 2011, 01:35 PM
Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
What did you think of Singapore Sling?

There aren't many people I know that have watched it, and most that have, either don't make it all the way through or dismiss it as being terrible. I actually like it - definitely a curio, but sill a powerful, and visually stunning movie.
Must have missed this before I guess I can understand it not being for everybody, but I really liked it. Very beautifully filmed, nicely acted and incredibly twisted which is always good. I had never heard of it until my friend gave me an old tape of it when he upgraded to DVD.

Last night watched Opera (one of my favourite films, I was in need of cheering up! ) and Burial Ground (not seen in a while and that child still always gives me the creeps)

Also watched Zombies Of War the other night which I thought was an ok war film but lacking in the zombies department and gore virtually non-existent. Didn't do what it said on the tin IMO!

Other films I've watched this week - Tenebrae, Satan's Blood, Who Saw Her Die?, Black Belly Of The Tarantula, Embodiment of Evil and Cannibal Terror.
Old 19th February 2011, 01:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Last night I did a Blu-ray triple bill of Mesrine: Killer Instinct, Mesrine: Public Enemy No. 1 -- both of which are really good -- and Jonah Hex which is utterly abysmal and I've no idea how it has been released on BD.
Old 19th February 2011, 02:08 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Jonah Hex which is utterly abysmal and I've no idea how it has been released on BD.
I'm a big DC comics fan but even I can't bring myself to give it a go. One day maybe.

I just watched Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. It was a bit, I dunno, on-the-nose, at times but still a good idea executed well. I would have preferred it if it had been set in 'our' world and not one where Jason, Freddy etc actually exist but I do see why they did that. Would definitely recommend it though.

I recorded it from Horror Channel the other week and, annoyingly enough, itcaught the end credits of some featurette which looked like it was to do with Italian horror. Loads of Argento clips mentioned in the credits (courtesy of Arrow) and it was a High Rising Production (Callum's name came up a few times). Would love to know what I missed!

Like this? Share it using the links below!