Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181797Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd January 2012, 03:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Aw man, wish I'd got that boxset, annoying how pricey it is now Went through a bit of a Von Trier / Dogme 95 phase when I was at uni (after being blown away by Dogville on the big screen), but never got around to his early stuff.

Wonder if that Five Obstructions with Scorsese is still on . . . ?
I've only seen his stuff from The Idiots onwards, so the overtly stylistic approach he uses in The Element of Crime was quite a shock.

Not heard anything more on that Scorsese collaboration, but my fingers are crossed.

Just watched Epidemic, the second instalment of his Europa trilogy. A very different beast to TEOC in that it appears to be sowing the seeds for what would become Dogme 95, saying that though there are some truly astonishing cinematographic moments courtesy of Dreyer's cinematographer of choice, Henning Bendtsen.
The story is about the script writing process and this is offset by a very postmodern film within a film scenario, which further leads to a blurring of realities, and I couldn't help but feel that there was a lot of inside jokes going on as I was totally confused most of the time.
That being said, Von trier's performance is superb, as is a short cameo from the inimitable Udo Kier and some of the electronic score is very reminiscent of Eduard Artemiev (Tarkovsky's sonic comrade) and the finale is, well... if you've seen Antichrist, then this is something of an Antichrist v1.0.
And going back to the aforementioned Scorsese, there's an hilarious pastiche of the "You talkin' to me?" scene from Taxi Driver with Von Trier in a bow tie and tuxedo!

As for the boxset, if you can cope with the less than imaginative artwork, check here.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:49 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Today been mostly watching...

Today been mostly watching...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Quarantine Blu-ray.jpg (72.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Diary of the Dead.jpg (92.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 1_kissology_vol1.JPG (50.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:05 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike View Post
I saw The Perfume of the Lady in Black last night.

An absolutely stunning film starring Mimsy Farmer as a scientist on a descent into madness.

Not a conventional giallo by any means, the film is light on both sex and death, but what a hauntingly beautiful film it is. Director Francesco Barelli has come up with a real masterpiece here. The cast are all outstanding and it was lovely to see the lovely Nike Arrighi again after her role as Tanith in The Devil Rides Out.

The films ending was truly shocking, of which i shall say no more.

The quality of the picture on Raro USA's dvd is excellent, with an informative well written booklet.

Highly recommended.
agreed, i'm enjoying raro's stuff! Check out bodypuzzle as well!

Amazon.co.uk: Body Puzzle [DVD] [1992] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]: Tomas Arana, Lamberto Bava, Joanna Pacula: Film & TV

bodypuzzle.jpg
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:22 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post

Also got round to watching Lars Von Trier's debut The Element Of Crime.
Christ on the cross! Why haven't I got round to seeing this earlier? It's absolutely and utterly everything I could want in a film.
Visually it has to be one of the most audacious debuts that I've ever seen, and I'm told that Europa is even more so!
Recalling Tarkovsky, Greenaway, Welles, Huston, but somehow managing to be fresh and unique too. The monochrome and sodium lighting works magnificently and if I had to describe it, it would be something between Jeunet and Caro's Delicatessen and John Huston's Reflections In A Golden Eye.
The framing, camera movement and editing is utterly mind boggling and left me with my jaw on the ground. The use of superimpositions is absolutely spectacular at some points and I can't recall another film where it has been used with such skill and acuity - layers upon layers sometimes creating a majestic trompe l'oeil that really made me scratch my head.
The seemingly simple, yet infuriatingly complex plot is akin to a Greenaway film, nothing makes complete sense and the oneiric visual quality and delivery of dialogue only help to compound this detachment of the story and how the viewer should interpret it.
Michael Elphick is absolutely solid in the lead and his character recalls the hapless pro/antagonists of countless gialli (in fact this film is so yellow it could be considered a Danish giallo).
The editor, DoP and Von Trier commentary is an absolute hoot and whilst they hilariously wind each other up about the film, I can't help but feel that there is an undercurrent of pride as they watch their feature film debut.
It really is a spectacular film and one I must eatch again shortly along with the other 2 in the Europe trilogy.
Phurious likes this.
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I was going to order Murder Obsession next.
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
ordered that last week, just waiting for the mailman to deliver! Hopefully then the fernando di lio blu-rays will be on their way too.
Old 2nd January 2012, 05:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
ordered that last week, just waiting for the mailman to deliver! Hopefully then the fernando di lio blu-rays will be on their way too.
I have the De Leo dvd box set and the transfers are excellent on that so a blu should be a stunner.

All very good films as well.
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:06 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I really enjoyed Murder Obsession, Dem (it's not a patch on Perfume, though).

Didn't think much of Body Puzzle, though.
Old 2nd January 2012, 07:08 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I will admit to being quite annoyed at tracking down and spending a small fortune on Italian Raro releases only for these US re-issues to be better quality, cheaper and more readily available.

Old 2nd January 2012, 07:11 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I will admit to being quite annoyed at tracking down and spending a small fortune on Italian Raro releases only for these US re-issues to be better quality, cheaper and more readily available.

Yeah, it is quite annoying.

Although I did manage to get a couple of the Italian releases from Kult Video pretty cheap.

The US distributor will be releasing some on Blu-ray though, too. I think Murder Obsession is getting a US BD release pretty soon.

Like this? Share it using the links below!