Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181853Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th January 2012, 09:47 AM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

Ring - another I haven't seen for many years. Already a horror classic I suppose. It is a fine film. Lovely deliberate pacing and a good story well told.

So why no remasters? No Blu-rays? The Tartan Asia Extreme DVD release looks pretty bad - almost VHS like - lacking in detail, dark scenes are inpenetrable, lots of print damage and a hissy audio track. Surely this is a film deserving of tarting up?
I've been hoping some the Asia Extreme films will get re-released. After Battle Royale it would be nice to see a film like Audition or Ju-on get the Arrowdrome treatment.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:39 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontBurnTheWitch View Post
I've been hoping some the Asia Extreme films will get re-released. After Battle Royale it would be nice to see a film like Audition or Ju-on get the Arrowdrome treatment.
Tartan put the whole RING trilogy out in a nice boxset with a proper re-mastering job and new subs.

Ring / Ring 2 / Ring 0 (DVD) (Triple Pack) [1996]: Amazon.co.uk: Nanako Matsushima, Sato Hitomi, Hiroyuki Sanada, Daisuke Ban, Kyoko Fukada, Miki Nakatani, Kenjiro Ishimaru, Yukie Nakama, Hideo Nakata, Norio Tsuruta: Film & TV

The origional release of ring did indeed look pretty bad, but this is definately an improvement.
Old 11th January 2012, 10:43 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman Joe View Post
I saw The Good The Bad, The Weird tonight. I get the feeling I'm going to be flying in the face of popular opinion here but I found this to be a bloated bore of a movie. Familiar scenes and music cues trotted out with nothing interesting added (except for Asian Actors in Cowboy Hats - this movies one and only idea), paper thin characters I couldn't give a toss about, tedious gunfights, gratuitous horse cruelty, duff cgi, frenetic, irritating editing - honestly I was gratefully counting down the minutes here like an Aberdonian in a taxi, all 140 of em.
I really like the film, but it's interesting to see the things you don't like about it (apart from the last lot, anyway) are exactly what I don't like about Tarantino's recent films.

Back on topic, as the last two nights I've watched all eight Friday the 13th films, with the first three on Monday and the last five last night. They really are a mixed bag when it comes to the acting, stories, direction and scares. I found Part V: The New Blood to be weaker than most, but nowhere near as bad as Jason Takes Manhattan!
Old 11th January 2012, 10:57 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I've watched all eight Friday the 13th films
Eight? Eleven, surely? Or are you very strict about it having to have the phrase "Friday the 13th" in the title?
Old 11th January 2012, 11:28 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Eight? Eleven, surely? Or are you very strict about it having to have the phrase "Friday the 13th" in the title?
I was referring to the eight in the limited edition box set (the one with the mask), but am considering watching Jason X and Freddy vs Jason. I don't own Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Fantasy, but will probably add that to my collection just so I have all the sequels.
Old 11th January 2012, 11:35 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
I was referring to the eight in the limited edition box set (the one with the mask), but am considering watching Jason X and Freddy vs Jason. I don't own Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Fantasy, but will probably add that to my collection just so I have all the sequels.
Ah! Gotcha! Sorry, I wasn't even aware of said box set!
Old 11th January 2012, 11:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Send a message via Yahoo to darthelvis

Last night I watched The Dead Pit (Code Red) which I thought was a terrible film, was hoping for so much more and Krull which I hadn't watched for years but brought me straight back to my childhood. I love Krull and remember watching it at the cinema and the film cutting out due to bad weather!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220px-Krull.jpg (21.2 KB, 4 views)
mark meakin likes this.
Hang Loose & Join the Community @ www.theforcebook.com
Old 12th January 2012, 11:03 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Virgin Amongst the Living Dead.
Really?
this tale has been told a-many a time, to greater AND lesser effect imo.
i suppose you really do have to "get" Franco, as ive said i like HIM, but his art leaves something to be desired i find.
maybe i just wasnt in the mood. wasnt a great print either (4:3), so this may have influenced my opinion.

watched Nightmare (Scavolini) again with the commentary after.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th January 2012, 11:07 AM
Cult Addict

Got home from work last night and wanted to watch something dodgy, went through my 'to watch' pile and found surviving evil with Billy zane. Picked it up AGES ago from the local second hand shop for a quid and its been sat there unwatched for almost a year.

Surprisingly an entertaining little horror movie, some ropey effects and a better director/writer might have made more of the shape shifting creatures but i've seen lots worse.
Old 12th January 2012, 01:49 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
I have the R1 dvd of JASON GOES TO HELL-THE FINAL FRIDAY and its one of the best F13 films esp in terms of uncut gore
it even was passed uncut in the UK....

Like this? Share it using the links below!