All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:25 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
SNOWTOWN. Utterly grim and depressing film based on the crimes of serial killer John Bunting. A difficult film to watch due to subject matter and the unrelenting atmosphere of menace and despair from start to finish. Imagine "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" crossed with "Kes" and you're half way there. Essential viewing, a classic in waiting and highly recommended.

Thank you. I wasn't sure whether to bother, but I shall purchase this now.
Old 23rd March 2012, 10:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

As it's been a while since i had a migraine, sat and watched Tetsuo: The Bullet Man & Crank II in one sitting.

And i've forgotten the piece of paper i wrote all my info on. Erse!

the sound design in T:TBM was the most striking i've heard in a good while, pounding Industrial, mixed with low frequencies during dialogue scenes (well on my copy anyhow) not as totally brain busting as the Iron Man/Body Hammer rabbit punch but still quite an all out sensory assault.

And say what you like about Statham, in this he just courts the edge of self parody beautifully. Easily one of the few Occidental films to come close to the excesses of HK cinema IMO, if only for the line "What the bleeding hell are you pair of Sausage Nigels doin' to that dog??"

And i hated the first one, go figure

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
As it's been a while since i had a migraine, sat and watched Tetsuo: The Bullet Man
There's a third Tetsuo flick?!

Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

Yup
Old 23rd March 2012, 08:20 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler View Post
Death Wish (1974)

**** out of ****

Death Wish II (1982)

*** out of ****
Forgive me if this has been mentioned before but did anybody see Death Wish 2 on MGM HD on New Years Day. I could be wrong cos I've only got the melonfarmers page to go by but it looked to me to be uncut. It hasn't been shown since. It was a lot nastier than I've ever seen before.
Old 24th March 2012, 12:39 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

SQUEAL - Cheap indie horror. I liked it. A vanful of the usual brats is offed by a family of mutant pig people. Could've been played for a few schlocky laughs but this swill flies straight from the trough with a genuine seriousness of intent and gets real morbid as a result. Lots of screaming and wailing in collusion with electronic drones, bits of gore, snippets of Pigman rape and the odd touchingly surreal skit mostly courtesy of the clown - dwarf pig guy (!) OK, so there are some laughs. But try laughing when a pig faced ogre forces you to strip amidst your dead bandmate's offal, then makes you put on a yellow dress FOR NO REASON AT ALL. The tears are already streaming down your face. Grating, haphazard, derivative and inspired by turns. Worth a shot.
AXE - The films of Frederick Friedel prove difficult to pin down, for those in search of easy answers at least. They kind of mix 70s American student 'art-house' with more obvious horror / exploitation / grindhouse riffs. I really like them, but they seem to be an acquired taste. Axe is no exeption - it's morbid and languid and will only appeal to those who enjoy chilly dissociation, cryptic imagery and a lack of pace. But if you fancy watching parts of 'Repulsion' reconfigured as fragmented drive-in fodder (sort of), then step up. Or, if Ingmar Bergman and SF Brownrigg got together, maybe this would be the result. Ask yourself the following question - "does seeing a momentary shot of a doll's head sat on a patch of green carpet define my idea of cinema if a sharp stab of discordant synth happens to be the soundtrack?" I know which way I voted. Very available on DVD and highly recommended for fans of sickly alienation.

Last edited by Frankie Teardrop; 24th March 2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 24th March 2012, 08:35 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Finally caught up with Dominic Sena's Whiteout. Granted, I am a sucker for almost anything set in snowy conditions, but I thought this was a really nice and tense thriller that achieved a lot. Also, it took a mere 8 minutes before Kate Beckinsale gets undressed and has a shower.

Old 24th March 2012, 09:55 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

Hahahahahaha good stuff.
Gojirosan likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 24th March 2012, 09:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Watched the Thing prequel last night, I enjoyed it, yeah the cgi does kinda ruin things a bit but overall I thought it was a good film. Also recently watched Insidious on Netflix, gotta say watching it on my pc with headphones on made me jump a few times, full of cliches but still some genuine scares even if it is a bit of a rip off of Poltergeist, I'll definitely pick both films up on BD at some point.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 24th March 2012, 10:04 AM
Active Cultist

I've been frantically rewatching all my Mad Men blu rays in prep for Season 5 on Tuesday (My God I love this show - if you're swithering, go for it, you won't regret it, see also Breaking Bad for the best entertainment currently available) Anyway, I did fit in a long delayed first viewing of Amer. WTF!
Is this a movie or an art installation? I found myself split in two here - I loved the visuals, style, music etc but geez guys, how about a semblance of a narrative? just some indication that all these fancy flourishes eventually fit together a'la Mulholland Drive. I don't know, maybe they do, I've only seen it the once, but It sure seemed like pure cinematic onanism to me. Will definitely rewatch this, although I get the feeling it may be best appreciated in little chunks rather that the full 90 minutes.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!