Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180643Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th January 2013, 09:01 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulD View Post
The bit after the opening credits was set in the 70s and the rest was set now.
And Leatherface appears in both parts? So what, he's like 70-80 years old through most of it . . .
Old 5th January 2013, 09:07 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
And Leatherface appears in both parts? So what, he's like 70-80 years old through most of it . . .
According to 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning', he was born on August 7, 1939!

That's only a few years after my dad was born - 1936. Can't see my dad and equate him to someone of Leatherface's age!

Mind you, my dad as a homicidal, power tool wielding serial killer! That's something to think about!!!!!!!!!!!
SShaw likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 5th January 2013, 09:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Tonights films:

Back to the Future 2 (UK Blu) Likeable sequel to the original, in my opinion the weakest of the trilogy.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (UK Blu) Intelligent adaptation of the classic Le Carre novel which manages to retain the density of the book without becoming dull and boring. A uniformly brilliant cast of British talent. I still prefer the TV adaptation though.
Rik likes this.
Old 5th January 2013, 09:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Haunted Castle (1896)
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/memb...tml#post309312
sawyer6 likes this.
Old 5th January 2013, 10:31 PM
Active Cultist

Double bill - Donnie Darko - no.3 in my list of quotable
movies (1. Robocop 2.The Silence of the Lambs 4. The Shining
5. Ghost World) Still brilliant, the retro 80s setting means it never
dates

First viewing in 10 years of Natural Born Killers - my opinion remains
The same as first time exposure - 1 hour of Tarantino at his best (tunes! dialogue! violence!) followed by one hour
of Stone at his worst (thudding satire, stodgy exposition, lecturing)
Old 5th January 2013, 10:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy (UK Blu) Intelligent adaptation of the classic Le Carre novel which manages to retain the density of the book without becoming dull and boring. A uniformly brilliant cast of British talent. I still prefer the TV adaptation though.
Totally agree.
Old 5th January 2013, 11:30 PM
Cultist

Santa Sangre (1989 Jodorowski)
Watched the mr. bongo blu-ray of this incredible film for the 2nd time with the commentary track by Jodorowski himself and Alan Jones. The commentary track is very interesting, Alan Jones tries to get as much information from Jodorowski as he can. Which sometimes leads to stuff like (not exactly, but this is how I remember it) "Why an elephant?" and J. replies "Why do you ask 'why'? It's not important. I just like elephants." One of the better commentary audio I think, listen to it if you own the bd.
Old 6th January 2013, 01:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Tonights films:

Back to the Future 2 (UK Blu) Likeable sequel to the original, in my opinion the weakest of the trilogy.

Nah I think b t t f 2is great the 3rd think is the worst by far,
Old 6th January 2013, 07:14 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

House at the End of the Street (2012) - what sounds like a prime slice of 70's exploitation is a rather unremarkable horror-thriller. Jennifer Lawrence moves into a new house with her mother which is on the same street as a house where a deranged young girl murdered her parents years before. Only the brother has survived and lives at the house alone, harbouring a terrible secret. The film tries to pull off a couple of twists which don't work at all; the first is fairly obvious to anyone paying attention and by the end of the film you realise you're left with some glaring plot holes unless another twist is implemented, which it promptly is in the last scene. There's little atmosphere or scares and the scenes with Lawrence playing guitar seem to only be there to guarantee her a record contract. It's all perfectly unremarkable yet diverting enough but if it wasn't for the lead whose star seems to be on the ascend due to her role in The Hunger Games franchise this would have come out straight-to-dvd.

Last edited by PaulD; 6th January 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 6th January 2013, 08:30 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
'HUSH'

Crap film - certainly charity shop material!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Is that the one with the motorway services? I thought the first half of that was pretty good! Motorway service stations are surprisingly cinematic . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by antmumford View Post
What?

I really liked Hush. It was a realistic film I thought. The main guy reacted just like a normal person would do in a situation like that. One of the rare films where I don't shout at the screen for someone doing something so stupid
OK - there is something wrong with either me, or you (and I think it's probably the latter)

Last night, I sat down with my partner, so that I could watch this (again) and she would watch it (for the first time)

Then we did the commentary track

Then we did the extra features

My thoughts haven't changed

When it was over, Chloe looked at me, and mumbled 'predictable...signposted...laughable.. .disappointing' etc

Therefore, I stand by my original statement

Charity shop material - or possibly passed on to Chloe's father-in-law, who loves 'Camp Blood', Steven Segal and Millwall football team!

He will love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!