Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th March 2013, 04:17 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I love it when opinions differ so wildly films as I think The Town is superb. It's not as good as Gone Baby Gone, which is still Ben Affleck's best film (and this from someone who thought Argo was a worthy winner of the Best Picture O and is currently waiting for the BD to arrive), but is an extremely well acted and directed piece with escalating tension, a great feel for its surroundings and location and with extremely well drawn characters.

The Harry Callahan saying about opinions is always true!

fully agree about the town. I really like it.

Love Devils rain as well, I have the dark sky release which is the one to get.
Old 6th March 2013, 07:12 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Watched Django Unchained last night, enjoyed it! Can't wait for the blu.

I like the way you die boy - best line in the movie.
Rik and trebor8273 like this.
Old 6th March 2013, 09:49 PM
Ex-member

Just watched
The Money Pit
Old 7th March 2013, 06:06 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Cut And Run

Possibly Deodato's most enjoyable film after the mighty CH. Those were the days, before these straightened times, when Anchor Bay put out endless quality releases. As much as I love the BD format, it hasn't seen the kind of early 2000s gold rush for genre releases that we enjoyed with the advent of DVD
Old 7th March 2013, 06:12 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Lisa & The Devil last night, what can i say but weired and wonderful. Great film IMHO.
Seemed like on the Interview with Alan Jones he preferred The House Of Exorcism? Looks like i will be viewing that one soon.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 7th March 2013, 07:06 AM
Cult Addict

Come out and play.

Anyone else know they re-made who can kill a child?! Its set in mexico this time and is pretty much faithful to the origional. Not as good as the origional its not an umitigated disaster either, its got a great soundtrack and some fairly nast violence to it.
Old 7th March 2013, 07:08 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Not even heard of the film at all.
Old 7th March 2013, 07:16 AM
Active Cultist

The Vanishing (1988, George Sluizer) - Totally blew me away. I didn't really know what to expect going into this, I thought it was going to be some sort of supernatural story. I was way off on that assumption, but this movie has stuck in my head since I saw it about a week ago.

It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012, Don Hertzfeldt) - Hertzfeldt put his trilogy of short films about a man suffering from some sort of mental health issue together to be viewed as a feature film in three chapters. It mixes elements of humor, sadness, and joy together. Though the element of joy is few and far between, it hits harder because of the sense of pity you feel for Bill throughout. The humorous parts are very funny though. Especially in the second chapter when Bill recounts his family history. Be warned though, it's an experimental animated film, so it's definitely not for everyone.

The Prowler (1981, Joseph Zito) - It doesn't veer from the slasher formula, and it is a little bit predictable. But honestly, who cares? For the most part it's well acted, the villain has a neat outfit, and above all else the gore effects are very well done. As far as the slasher genre goes, this is one of the best it has to offer.

Bernie (2011, Richard Linklater) - I've read reviews from self-proclaimed "Jack Black haters" that praised his performance in this dark comedy. I'm a self-proclaimed "Jack Black lover." I loved him in this movie, he and Matthew McConaughey were the bright spots. I thought that the documentary type format kind of broke up the film a little too much, certain parts of it worked, but it just took too much time away from Black and McConaughey. As a whole, it was pretty enjoyable all things considered.

The Beyond (1981, Lucio Fulci) - I mentioned my recent viewing of this in another thread earlier. I said how much I had been thinking about the ending, and I still am. That ending was just icing on the cake for a full on cinematic assault by Fulci.

Pieces (1982, Juan Piquer Simón) - I really wanted to like this as I've noticed it seems to be popular around these parts, however there was just too much taking me out of the film. I enjoyed some parts, and other parts I just thought were too much. For example, the ending scene with the kid and the dead body just really took me out of it. The scene with Bruce Lee impersonator, Bruce Le, while funny, just added more confusion than anything else. The murders were well done, but everything else around them were noticeably less impressive.
Old 7th March 2013, 07:17 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Lovelockandload View Post
Not even heard of the film at all.
Come Out and Play (2012) - IMDb
Old 7th March 2013, 08:07 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiraffejustin View Post
The Vanishing (1988, George Sluizer) - Totally blew me away. I didn't really know what to expect going into this, I thought it was going to be some sort of supernatural story. I was way off on that assumption, but this movie has stuck in my head since I saw it about a week ago.
Great list of films but I had to single this one out. I LOVE this film. Methodical, chilling and haunting. And I applaud the decision by the director for the climax/finale. Brilliant film. I wish someone would release the soundtrack, preferably on vinyl.
sawyer6 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!