All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181745Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th May 2013, 06:38 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post

I thought that I might enjoy this as E.A. Poe is one of my top 10 writers. This isn't the Poe I've come to know and love so much. Poe was a flawed character, yes, but this travesty of a characterisation is positively ridiculous. A good story ruined by an implausible lead.
I almost picked this up today maybe ill just borrow it after reading this.
Old 7th May 2013, 06:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordicdusk View Post
I almost picked this up today maybe ill just borrow it after reading this.
Try before y' buy's a good idea with this. There are some pretty good moments in it but I'm sure that it would have been better if it had been set after Poe's death.

Monster Magnet
Old 7th May 2013, 07:05 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyond72 View Post
I wasn't that impressed with the MOH episodes I saw, but along with Imprint , I enjoyed Larry Cohen's Pick Me Up, Michael Moriarty was perfect.
My favourite episodes are Deer Woman and Pick Me Up.

Argento's Jenifer made me think of Fulci (which can't be bad I guess).

I haven't watched Incident On and Off a Mountain Road yet though.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

Last edited by bdc; 7th May 2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 7th May 2013, 07:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Scream 4

This is my third or fourth viewing and the first time I'm really enjoying the film...still only halfway through btw.

I think the circumstances of my initial viewing weren't that good,with me going to the cinema with a girl who wasn't into it obviously...I thought she liked the Scream films...but was mistaken apparently .
And the audience keeping very quiet during the film being another thing.

This may have somewhat affected my next viewings as well.

PS the repetitive pre-credits sequence doesn't really work that well though imho.
Old 7th May 2013, 08:10 PM
Cult Addict

Watched The Masque of the Red Death last night for the first time. One if the few Corman/Price/Poe films I'd not seen. Have to say I was well disappointed. I like the others. Usher and Taled of Terror in particular but I just found Masque a bit...well, boring. Normally I find Vincent Price can carry of the dullest of material but this one just didn't work for me. That said it was late (ish), I was knackerd and sleep deprived as usual so maybe another viewing will improve me opinion. I did start watching De Palmas Obsession after but gave up after twenty mins cos I was just to tired and I got the impression I'd actually enjoy this one with a fresher brain. (And maybe less scotch)
Old 7th May 2013, 10:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

On sky horror this week was documentary video nasties moral panic, also going to pieces rise and fall of slashers. Also the new DVD slasher for ever been released and there loads more, as much as enjoy watching these I also find them annoying as because they don't offer anything new, they just keep going over the same films, why don't next time one of these so called documentaries get released why don't they cover films that people might have forgot about or obscure titles or underground films and not mainstream, just something different would be a change instead of the video nasties etc etc, or same films going over old ground,
Old 7th May 2013, 10:43 PM
Cult Addict

Terror Train. Fun slasher with jamie lee curtis set on a train. Scream factory's transfer looks great and the film is an effective, though somewhat tame entry into the slasher genre.

When a stranger calls. Mill creek have delivered an exellent transfer on this one. THe opening sequence of the babysitter being terrorised with the caller asking "have you checked the children?" is a classic of the genre. I always thought it went a little off the boil after the great opening but this time around I really enjoyed Charles Durnings hunt for the killer that takes up the rest of the film is more enjoyable than I remembered.

Didnt get a chane to sit through happy birthday to me but at least caught a look at the pq. Excellent and manages to top the us anchor bay disc which is no mean feat. Has the origional score as well so probably the perfect release of it (barring anyone uncovering the deleted gore footage and re-instating it!)
Old 7th May 2013, 10:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just finished watching the very "interesting" Queen of Blood.

I thoroughly enjoyed this film and my enjoyment would have been greatly enhanced if I'd seen it shortly after it's release because I'd've been 6! Great use of stock footage and old lampshades (the Queen's space helmet). I thought that some of the ideas were great and the effects were... well... effective, especially the throbbing eggs. 4/10 for curiosity value.

Monster Magnet
Old 8th May 2013, 05:11 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've just watched Slaughter High, Vamp, The Mexican and Rob Brydon Live (2009)

Slaughter High was entertaining on a tongue-in-cheek slasher high school kind of level.

Vamp was surprisingly good. Although Grace Jones is more masculine than any other man in he film.

Th Mexican was very funny. Brad Pitt, James Gandolfini and J.k. Simmons were all excellent in it. Julia Roberts was very annoying in it. I still can't stand her and haven't seen her in a decent film yet.

Rob Brydon... I've never laughed so hard in AGES!! The part with the Gruffalo I was crying my eyes out!!!
Old 8th May 2013, 07:35 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
DREDD. Nowhere near as much fun as the similarly plotted THE RAID. Sorry Hawk.

BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW. Rabidly anti youth and counter culture madness set in the mud, a theme that runs throughout another weird beard film of the same time period, PSYCHOMANIA. That said, both films are high on my all time fave list as they perfectly capture the esoteric folk byways of an England that is real and mythic at the same time.
On Dredd. Your entitled to your opinion, I just felt, as a martial artist, that the choreography in The Raid was just awful and really took me out of it. Dredd was an adaptation of source material I love and did it justice, but I can certainly see where the two divide the communities.

Blood and Satans Claws is still on my to watch pile but all this good will is making me want to push it up there a bit.
troggi likes this.

DVD and BD collection

Like this? Share it using the links below!