Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181803Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2013, 10:40 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenhooker View Post
A Short Film About Killing - Kieslowski's film began life as a shorter piece that was included in his 'Dekalog', a TV series based on the ten commandments. At it's core the film is an indictment of capital punishment but asks plenty of other questions along the way. The film is unrelentingly bleak with two absolutely gut-wrenching scenes, it's one of the powerful films I've seen, I've watched it three times now and each time it leaves me a little shaken. Kieslowski is one of my favourite directors and in my opinion 'A Short Film About Killing' is his best film, in fact it's one of THE best films period. Stunning.
Agreed. It's very bleak, almost real. Powerful film indeed.
Old 6th August 2013, 10:44 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Possession

Amazing film, surreal and disturbing. Has to have some of the most bat crazy characters of any movie, top of the list Isabella adjani as Anna a complete and total raving nutter, not just not on this planet she's not even in the same galaxy. Such a shame a masterpeice like this was banned as a video nasty, a true classic. Now in my top 15 films of all time if not the top ten. 10/10
Do you know Zulawski's The third part of the night? Also worth checking out. It is available on Second Run but it really needs a blu ray upgrade.
Trzecia czesc nocy (1971) - IMDb
Old 7th August 2013, 08:16 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondadoronron View Post
I was just reading the other day that Lugosi preferred White Zombie to Dracula.
So do I – it's a much better film.
Rondadoronron likes this.
Old 7th August 2013, 10:30 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

"Dune Apocalypse" (aka "Children of Dune") 2003, part one

As a long time fan of the great Frank Herbert I was dragged into the intrigues of House Atreides in the late 1970s. I remember that the book cover had then for many years carried the legend "Soon to be a Major Motion Picture!" It was laughable until David Lynch went wild with it in 1984 and everyone saw how difficult and how beautiful "Dune" was!

The "Children of Dune" mini series has been collected here in two parts and is a follow-up to the earlier mini series of "Dune" 2000 starring Alec Newman as Paul Muad'Dib. In part 1, in which Alec Newman reprises his role as Muad'Dib, we see the events which lead up to the birth of the twin children of Muad'Dib and see Leto, the male child played by a very young James McAvoy, reaching back from the future to aid his father!

Apart from some sound synchronising problems I enjoyed part 1 and will more than likeley finish it off tonight with part 2. 18/10.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 7th August 2013, 01:24 PM
Cult Master

This week i will enbark upon an epic quest of watchin every James Bond film ill try give taughts on each but dont expect much its a long time since i watched any Bond film.
Old 7th August 2013, 04:26 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935)

Dr Jekyll And Mr Hyde (1931)
For me, the best ever adaptation of this story. The transformation into Hyde is fantastic for it's time and the Neanderthal Hyde is as cruel and horrific as they come.
Old 7th August 2013, 04:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

For me, the best ever adaptation of this story. The transformation into Hyde is fantastic for it's time and the Neanderthal Hyde is as cruel and horrific as they come.
It is a great film. Mr. Hyde is very nasty in it (especially for the time). I watched this for the first time right after I read the book. I suggest everyone read the book. It's only eighty-odd pages long, so it's quite a quick read.
Old 7th August 2013, 05:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Carry on Camping (1969)

Always a fun film, in fact the majority of the series are fun, possibly not laugh out loud funny as they were at the time of release, but still good old timeless British fun.

Sure the jokes are old now, but by and large they still work even if some of the oo'er missus stuff seems a bit old hat. Barbara Windsor still grates at times but the rest of the cast make me smile and thats fine by me.

Far superior to On The Buses and other comedies of the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carry_on_camping_320x240.jpg (32.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 7th August 2013, 05:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

Frederic March was brilliant in the roles of Jekyll/Hyde and looked the parts both before and after make-up effects. As for "The Bride..." it may be camp, it may have the previously mute creature speaking but it is so good!
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.

Monster Magnet
Old 7th August 2013, 05:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Carry on Camping (1969)

Always a fun film, in fact the majority of the series are fun, possibly not laugh out loud funny as they were at the time of release, but still good old timeless British fun.

Far superior to On The Buses and other comedies of the time.
If "Carry on Camping" is not everyone's favourite of the franchise it must be close to the top of the pile!

A lot of the other British comedy "films" of the late 1960s to late 1970s were just extensions of situation comedies like "On The Buses" or "Til Death Us Do Part" or "For the Love of Ada" and as such relied on their television audience.

The "Carry On..." films on the other hand were more traditional, single episode, films that were set up and introduced in exactly the same way as all other films and were accessible to a wider audience. Sure, we knew the actors and the type of characters they would normally play but the situations would be different.

In order to finish this post it would be prudent to tell everyone which was my favourite "Carry On..." film, well stuff y', I'm not going to!

Monster Magnet

Like this? Share it using the links below!