Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181803Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2013, 08:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Personally, I love ALL three of the LOTR trilogy and refuse to pick a "favourite". This is because I like to see them as a single story (not all at one sitting, I hasten to add, I don't have the stamina for that) and not as "competing" episodes. All the fan boy niggles aside, like the death of Saruman etc, they are a beautiful attempt at portraying one of the greatest works of fiction, EVER!

Alas! There is one thing that they can not do that the books can and that is that on each reading of the trilogy, and I have read it a few times, my mind automatically places more emphasis on one leg of the journey (after the breaking of the Fellowship, that is) than the others. I have no idea why this is but it has served me well over the years and seems to be an enjoyable way to read it. This is not a conscious choice and I do not read any chapters more intently than others, it just happens that my attention is focussed more on the travels and troubles of different characters at different readings of the books.

Home cinema would have to be a hell of a lot more interactive to be able to do that with the films!

Monster Magnet
Old 9th November 2013, 08:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I still haven't seen the Lord of the Rings films. Mainly because I can watch six or seven films in the same amount of time it would take to get through the trilogy.
troggi likes this.
Old 9th November 2013, 08:52 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refused View Post
I still haven't seen the Lord of the Rings films. Mainly because I can watch six or seven films in the same amount of time it would take to get through the trilogy.
Sometimes it's not the quantity that matters...
SShaw and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.

Monster Magnet
Old 9th November 2013, 09:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Another wet Saturday saw me watching:

Aftershock I really liked this when I first saw it at Glasgow Frightfest and it stands up to a second viewing at home.

Hatchet 3 This was one of the surprises (for me at least) of Fantasy Film Fest as I found it quite entertaining. Like Aftershock it stands up well to a repeat viewing at home.

Computer Chess This weekend's cinema visit. I found it to be largely disappointing. Is it really a comedy?
troggi likes this.
Old 9th November 2013, 10:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggi View Post
Sometimes it's not the quantity that matters...
In the world of low budget horror quantity is king.
Old 10th November 2013, 07:18 AM
Cult Addict

Death Hunt.

So I didn't get sacked last night, looks like i'm safe for now. got home at 10 and decided to give the Charles Bronson/lee Marvin Blu I bought ages ago a spin. A lot of fun and one i'm going to re watch. Bronson is great as the badass mountain man as is Marvin as the world weary mountie. Superb locations and photography and I didn't realize it was co-funded by Hong Kong film company Golden Harvest!

Well worth checking this one out.
trebor8273, Zann and troggi like this.
Old 10th November 2013, 09:14 AM
Cult Acolyte

Twins Of Evil (1971) in London.

Introduced by Sir Christopher Frayling with Mary Collinson (Maria), Damien Thomas (Count Karnstein), Judy Matherson (Woodsman's Daughter) and the Director John Hough.
bdc, Rik, keirarts and 3 others like this.
Old 10th November 2013, 12:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Amicus House of Horrors documentary - A brilliant 80 minute tribute dedicated to the films of Milton Subotsky and Max Rosenberg. Features clips from numerous Amicus productions and loads of interviews with the men and women associated with them. Picture quality in general is pretty good but the sound is crap. I ended up watching the majority of the documentary using a decent pair of headphones. The disc also features an interview with Peter Cushing, which I will get round to watching at a later date
bdc, keirarts, trebor8273 and 2 others like this.
Old 10th November 2013, 06:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Final three films for a while (off to work in Madrid for a week) were:

Invasion of the Body Snatchers really enjoyed seeing this again and I found the Wheatley/Warren/Newman discussion in the extras interesting if a little longer than needed.

Bring Me the Head of Machine Gun Woman Second time round for me and if anything I liked it more.

and finally

Predator 1980's action classic - enough said.
bdc, trebor8273 and troggi like this.
Old 10th November 2013, 08:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Viewed since my last "recently viewed" post:

Will try to do a few more short reviews soon.

Last edited by bdc; 10th November 2013 at 08:50 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!