All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th January 2014, 08:52 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Willard
Really enjoyed this one which is down to crispin glovers performance as Willard, a outsider with no friends, a boss who loves to humiliate him, this all changes when he finds out he can communicate with rats, Glover gives us a performance in which gives us a sympathetic and likeable character who you route for. Glen Morgan of x files fame is the writer/ director and we have a little nod to the show in the form of a ginger pussy called Scully. 9/10
I loved Willard. I had a pet rat growing up so certain bits of that film really got me. Crispin Glover is excellent too. Such a bizarre bloke.
Old 18th January 2014, 09:44 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The sentinel

Have to agree with nearly everything dem said in there review. A truly chilling and unsettling film, if I had watched this one I was a child I would be scared shitless and would not be able to sleep for the next few nights and even watching it as a adult makes me feel uneasy, a great cast only downside that their are so many great characters/ actors they get little screen time to be fully developed.

Will definitely be upgrading to blu ray, I know there is a German version but it is a bit expensive and will wait for someone to bring out a cheaper version. Shame Winner didn't make more horrors. 9.5/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 18th January 2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 18th January 2014, 10:39 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
The sentinel

Have to agree with nearly everything dem said in there review. A truly chilling and unsettling film, if I had watched this one I was a child I would be scared shitless and would not be able to sleep for the next few nights and even watching it as a adult makes me feel uneasy, a great cast only downside that their are so many great characters/ actors they get little screen time to be fully developed.

Will definitely be upgrading to blu ray, I know there is a German version but it is a bit expensive and will wait for someone to bring out a cheaper version. Shame Winner didn't make more horrors. 9.5/10
With the sentinel, stick to any version with the Winner commentary track. Its amazing stuff. Easily as entertaining as the film.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 18th January 2014, 10:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
With the sentinel, stick to any version with the Winner commentary track. Its amazing stuff. Easily as entertaining as the film.
Will have to listen to it at some point
Old 19th January 2014, 10:24 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Picked this up this week from HMV for 1.50 in their 70% off sale. Sounds great from your review so might nudge it up towards the top of the 'to watch' pile

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Bargain!

I got mine on 99p bogof at cash gen. Looked it up on amazon and the price is surprisingly high.
Old 19th January 2014, 10:26 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Will have to listen to it at some point
It's full of Winner's anecdotes and as is typical of Winner lacks self censorship. As a result it made me chuckle and was genuinely fin to listen to.
Old 19th January 2014, 01:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Off to Bristol for the week in a few minutes so this is likely to be my last update until next weekend.

Hell comes to Frogtown was exactly as I recalled. Piper improved dramatically by the time he worked with Carpenter. Here he is awful, but somehow, in spite of this, the movie manages to be enjoyable if rather average.

Bounty Killer I skipped this at Fantasia in favour of other things and after watching it on German blu-ray I have to say I am glad I did. It really has nothing to offer. A simple plot that manages to be predictable and completely senseless at the same time, dialogue that would shame even George Lucas, lead actors who while looking nice have no discernible acting talent surrounded by a supporting cast who its difficult to believe have ever appeared on camera before. This is bad cinema done badly. But it will appeal to you if you get off on attractive women shooting stuff with guns.

Now Wolf of Wall Street is a completely different kettle of fish. It is not clear how serious this movie is, but if taken as a cartoon of the stock-broker culture it works perfectly. Di Caprio gives a surprising good comic performance but lacks any subtlety. His is an exuberant over the top scenery munching performance, think Jack Nicholson as the Joker. And id therefore likely to win favour with the academy award voters who seem to lack all critical faculty and can only spot a good performance if the actor jumps up and down shouting "look at me I'm acting". This is a thoroughly enjoyable film and if you don't mind watching foul mouthed debauchery is highly recommended.
Old 19th January 2014, 02:09 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Fade to Black. (1980)

Fade to Black is a fantastic paen to all things Hollywood. Lovingly put together, the film brilliantly incorporates classic clips and soundbytes, not to mention enough movie quiz questions to keep your brain whirring throughout, and combines it all into a hugely fun horror escapade about a down on his luck movie fan and his love for a Marilyn Monroe lookalike.

The film makers clearly had a blast making Fade to Black, i'm sure it was a dream come true for lead Dennis Christopher who got to play many classic people and characters from Hollywood gone by, not to mention a thrilling climax atop Grauman's Chinese Theatre in the centre of Tinseltown. A special mention must go to Linda Kerridge who's impersonation of Monroe was at times uncanny, and got to thrill fans like me by having a shower scene that quite marvelously transformed into what is possibly the most famous scene in horror cinema.

Indeed the whole film was a treat for people like me who would prefer to watch a James Cagney or Marilyn Monroe film rather than the likes of Man of Steel ,Pacific Rim and other modern invaders of our multiplexes.

I'm sure some could analyse Fade to Black forevermore, but i'm just typing as i saw it as a first time viewing. A comically, brutal love letter to the glitter and glamour of Hollywood. I loved it.

And as for Mickey Rourke who professed to love Casablanca so much yet didn't know Rick's surname.... he deserved to die!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fade_to_Black_Die_schoenen_Morde_des_Eric_Binford_5.jpg (44.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 19th January 2014, 02:20 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

CHILDREN OF THE CORN V. Eva Mendes' gusset, various Zappa children, the weird Arquette brother playing normal, Grasshopper's head splitting open and loads of fairly good violence. I quite liked it.
Old 19th January 2014, 03:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hell comes to frogtown

Didn't enjoy this half as much as I thought it would, at best it was average all the characters didn't seem do interesting and didn't really care for any of them, the frogs themselves were probably the only highlight. 5/10

Vigilante

Not what I was expecting, was expecting something like death wish, in some ways it is but it doesn't have the level of shocking violence that death wish did(apart from the boys killing) and at the ending felt rushed and there was a lot more that could of happened. 7/10

Next up the haunted palace
Rondadoronron likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 19th January 2014 at 03:59 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!