Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2014, 07:46 PM
Cult Addict

village of 8 gravestones.jpg

Village of 8 gravestones.

An airport worker discovers he's the heir to a family fortune so heads out to a remote village and begins to discover his roots. He soon discovers there is more than a few skeletons in the family closet and a horrible curse on the fortune.

This is a very classy 2 1/2 hour epic ghost story cum murder mystery with a decent budget behind it. Perhaps a little too classy if you're more a fan of the exploitation end of Japanese cinema this is a great film however and worth a watch.

This chinese bootleg seems to be the only way to get the film. The quality is decent but the subtitling is ropey in places. Really needs some sort of official western release!
Old 20th April 2014, 08:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

curse of Frankenstein 9.5/10

a classic noting else needs to be said

revenge of Frankenstein

sequel to curse while not as good, still a great film with good acting and script. 8.5/10

the raven

very little to do with the poem, but still a great movie thanks to Richard mathesons script and the acting of Karloff, Price and Lorrie. we also have a early role for a young Jack Nicholson . 8.5/10

master of the world

adaptation of the Jules Verne novel, we have Vincent Price and a young Charles Bronson in a enjoyable little film but really is just 20000 leagues under the sea in the air instead of the water. 7.5/10

now watching trick or treat which I've not seen before
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st April 2014, 12:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Banshee Chapter (2013)

Hunter S Thompson meets HP Lovecraft, Banshee Chapter is as good and different as anything i've seen in recent times.

Ted Levine plays a burnt out counterculture novelist mixed up in his past with secret government experimental drugs harvested from human brains. The film boasts minimal gore but at times it borders on unsettling due to it's unique shadowy ink black atmosphere and some marvelous edge of your seat jump scares.

Based on true events which the US govt has since apologized for, the film has a straightforward story line that's never cliched or obvious in it's storytelling. The film is beautifully acted by Katia Winter as an investigative journalist, and the outstanding Ted Levine, who both give compelling performances under the direction of first timer Blair Erickson who surely will go far in the genre.

Highly recommended.
Noted.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st April 2014, 12:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Ive tried several times to watch the film but for first half hour the way the camera angle keeps moving around gives me a bit of a headache .
Try drinking a bottle of Port whilst watching. First time for both, haven't watched it since. Great ST etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st April 2014, 01:48 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

SUPERBAD. My favourite teen comedy in recent years, full of compassion and offence.

THE BABYSITTER. Basically, "Adventures in Babysitting" with knob jokes.

GOON. Violent ice hockey comedy that has a rather sweet love story at it's heart. Alison Pill has a very cute nose in it and in general.

STRAW DOGS(remake)...it's okay but would have worked better if it had a different title and came across as a rip off rather than a remake of a classic.

SAVAGE LAGOON. F*ck awful, romantic fairy tale bollocks with a fantastic title.

THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM. Great entry level fantasy martial arts film for kids.
Old 21st April 2014, 01:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post

THE FORBIDDEN KINGDOM. Great entry level fantasy martial arts film for kids.
I just ordered this and a few more recent Chan films after seeing a bit of it on tv last night.
Old 21st April 2014, 02:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Stuff - 1985

A viewing experience that I did not enjoy. The Calum directed 'making of' documentary was way more interesting. A decent enough transfer courtesy of Arrow. Poor movie backed up by a good documentary.
Old 21st April 2014, 03:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

^^^ I am not a fan of the stuf either tbh nor Motel Hell although as said Arrow does put full love into it's packages no doubt about that.

Wolf Creek 2.

HD download (Amazon.com) wow. One of the very rare occasions the sequel is better than the original (Imo) John Jarratt is a scary Bastard no doubt about that he plays the psycho concerningly well.Not a dull moment a non stop action ride. There is no way (I doubt) this is getting through the BBFC uncut so I have pre ordered my "unrated" blu copy from the USA best film I have seen in ages. 10/10

Red sands.

Picked up Cheap on Marketplace for just 0.09p as it was about a DJinn and I love the wishmaster films. However I was very disapointed it was slow boring and a major let down I almost fell asleep. 2/10

The Sender 1982.

I really Enjoyed this not seen it before,Ok maybe not the most gruesome or original idea (scanners,Psychic Killer and so on) but a very enjoyable film. 7/10

Cube Zero

Revisited this first time in years,still enjoy it better than Cube 2 for sure. 7/10
Old 21st April 2014, 03:30 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold6082 View Post

Red sands.

Picked up Cheap on Marketplace for just 0.09p as it was about a DJinn and I love the wishmaster films. However I was very disapointed it was slow boring and a major let down I almost fell asleep. 2/10

Is that the army squad in Iraq? Absolutely terrible.
Old 21st April 2014, 03:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Is that the army squad in Iraq? Absolutely terrible.
Yep that's the one

Like this? Share it using the links below!