Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181802Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th May 2014, 11:32 AM
Active Cultist

Send a message via Skype™ to Invid Ninja

Just finished my second year at university so have finally squeezed more time into some films: here are I feel two of the highlights.

55 Days At Peking (1963) Dir. Nicholas Ray

I genuinely have a real soft spot for the grandiose historical epics of the 50's and 60's with this being one of the Samuel Bronston super-productions that I hadn't heard of until it's recent Blu release. It's an admittedly, very romanticised depiction of the latter half of the Boxer Rebellion in China but for me it's carried by much of the hallmarks which make these films immensely watchable. A dependable cast of classic big-screen stars wading through beautiful, gigantic sets with ravishing costumes aplenty and a good few wide scale action sequences. The Dimitri Tiomkin musical score is a big cherry on top to boot. My kind of Sunday afternoon movie.

Sorcerer (1977) Dir. William Friedkin

Now hand on heart, I haven't seen the original 1953 film of The Wages Of Fear which I know for most film aficionados is supposedly superior to this long forgotten American remake. Saying that, I have been waiting years to see this film for the first time in a watchable form and was very pleasantly surprised to see it finally given a Blu release. To keep it brief, this is exactly my kind of film all over. Amazing Tangerine Dream score, brilliant acting all around, an utterly tangible, intoxicating atmosphere and some of the absolute best thriller sequences I have genuinely ever seen on film. It's reputation as an overlooked gem of 70's cinema is thoroughly well-deserved and then some. A truly great thriller, the likes of which I feel we won't be seeing again.

Cold Iron (R.O.T.O.R, 1987)
Old 5th May 2014, 01:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Has to be said I really like Doomsday, I actually don't think Neil Marshall has made a bad film yet though I do wish he'd hurry up and make some more. I think The Descent is probably his high point.
I also don't think Neil Marshall has made a bad film and, like you think The Descent is his best – it's one of the finest horror films made in the last 20 years.
Old 5th May 2014, 03:41 PM
Cult Addict

Just come back from the Vue after seeing Amazing Spiderman 2. Surprised the flack this has been getting as I really enjoyed it and it was a big improvement on the last one. Still don't like the electric/mechanical web shooters though.
Old 5th May 2014, 04:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

You really need to see Visitor Q that film is messed up and pretty unique - it won't disappoint you
Old 5th May 2014, 06:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM View Post
Watched Gozu last night, boy that was messed up. That birthing scene was horrible.
Was Gozu not recently reissued in 3D (2013 in Germany)? I guess the rebirthing scene could become even more disturbing in 3D
Old 5th May 2014, 06:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Scream and scream again.

What the hell was that about, thankfully Cushing , lee and price only had a small amount of screen time in this very confusing , un aspiring and boring film. 6/10 .

Next up island of terror which is a bit of a guilty pleasure.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 5th May 2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 5th May 2014, 07:08 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
Was Gozu not recently reissued in 3D (2013 in Germany)? I guess the rebirthing scene could become even more disturbing in 3D
2D films aren't flat - we perceive depth in the image, so how can the artificially layered effect of a 3D conversion make something appear more disturbing?
Old 5th May 2014, 08:07 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
In fairness I think thats more to do with the germans getting worried people might get fed up of buying multiple hard boxes of the same title so now there adding 3d to their bootlegs...

I'm kidding of course... (or am I )
Old 5th May 2014, 08:13 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
In fairness I think thats more to do with the germans getting worried people might get fed up of buying multiple hard boxes of the same title so now there adding 3d to their bootlegs...

I'm kidding of course... (or am I )
SERIOUSLY I AM KIDDING!

Went to see Amazing spider-meh 2 this evening.

Thought it was interesting to see spider-meh fight doctor manhattan, Jamie Foxx was good as the watchmen fave and would be a shoe-in over Billy Crudup for any sequel. The pantomime dame green goblin and the robo-rhino monstrosity were also....interesting. Because god forbid they should try and make characters that in any way resemble the source material. I mean, who would want to see that!? **ahem** AVENGERS! ***ahem**
Old 5th May 2014, 08:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Island of terror

Not one of fishers best films but as I said its a guilty pleasure of mine and it's enjoyable 90 minutes thanks to the top notch cast and script. But I really was expecting the third doctor and unit to turn up at some point as I found it to be very similar too a pertwee era doctor who. 8/10

Next up hatchet 3,
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!