LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st May 2014, 10:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Demons

No real plot to speak of just a excuse for some OTT gore and a great soundtrack. 8/10
Do you think so? Much as i love metal, it sounds woefully out of synch in Argento's films. I don't know if he chooses the wrong tracks or uses them in the wrong scenes.

I re watched Phenomena a few weeks ago and nearly turned it off each time Iron Maiden's Flash of the Blade tore into the film. Horrible and cringe worthy.
Rik and mr 420 like this.
Old 31st May 2014, 10:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

I re watched Phenomena a few weeks ago and nearly turned it off each time Iron Maiden's Flash of the Blade tore into the film. Horrible and cringe worthy.
Of all the songs on Powerslave, he had to pick the worst!
Heisenberg likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 31st May 2014, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Of all the songs on Powerslave, he had to pick the worst!
I think it was more a case of it didn't really fit what was happening on screen plus it was so loud.

It would have been much cooler had Donald Pleasence been working away at his desk with Misfits Halloween playing on the radio or something like that.
Old 31st May 2014, 10:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Just turned off Stoker, which I found really impenetrable and left me cold. It looks great and is no doubt technically accomplished but I found the characters difficult to relate to and the whole thing a little pretentious. Maybe I'll give it another spin at some point.
Old 31st May 2014, 10:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
I think it was more a case of it didn't really fit what was happening on screen plus it was so loud.

It would have been much cooler had Donald Pleasence been working away at his desk with Misfits Halloween playing on the radio or something like that.
TBH, it's been that long since I've seen it, I can't remember where it crops up, it's not one my favourite Argento films.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 31st May 2014, 11:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Do you think so? Much as i love metal, it sounds woefully out of synch in Argento's films. I don't know if he chooses the wrong tracks or uses them in the wrong scenes.

Agree with the phenomena sentiments but would disagree overall as I really love the music choices in Demons. Especially the climax with the motorbike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqfZH0Q5OqA

Also one or two of the cues in the uk release of Demons are not quite right. This is fixed in the frustratingly limited release from synapse.
Old 1st June 2014, 06:39 AM
Cult Addict

Amityville 2.

Probably the Amityville film I keep returning to most. Directed by italian film maker Damiano Damiani (how to kill a judge) and written by Tommy lee wallace Amityville 2 acts as a sort of prequel to the original film. Loosely based around the actual defeo killings that occurred in the house where Ronald "butch" defeo killed his entire family one night with a shotgun. The family's name is changed to Montelli and some liberties are taken with the lead up to the killings and the events that followed.

Unlike the the depiction of the Lutz family in the original film, here the Montelli clearly have problems before they even enter the house. The father of the house, Anthony Montelli is a short tempered, controlling and abusive slimeball. There is a suggestion that he is raping his wife though the scene in question was cut out of the final film according to Rutanya Alda who plays the mother Dolores Montelli. There is also a closer than usual relationship between brother and sister Sonny and Patricia but then Patricia is played by Diane Franklin so when the relationship progresses to full incest its not totally unreasonable (JUST KIDDING!)

The house just seems to magnify problems that already exist and the Montelli family disintegrates pretty quickly. Much to the Alarm of the local priest Father Adamsky (played by James Olsen) who fails to act quickly enough to prevent the killings. His friend Father tom is played by Andrew prine and Moses Gunn plays Detective turner. The build up to the killings has some great effects work including paint brushes painting by themselves. The entity in the house takes a special interest in Tommy and begins possessing him. Talking to him through his ear-phones and urging him to kill. The possession effects themselves are great and uses a lot of bladder effects to present physical transformation.

Once the killings have happened the film switches gears somewhat and becomes an Exorcism movie. Plagued by guilt father Adamsky wants to perform an exorcism on Sonny. When Sonny escapes from the mental institution Adamsky tracks him back to the house for the final confrontation. This sequence includes some of the films standout scenes and has a bleak and downbeat ending.

I love amityville 2. Its somewhat trashy perhaps, and structurally a mess. The exorcism scene itself feels tacked on to cash in on a certain hugely popular William Friedkin film. Overall though its very enjoyable, surprisingly creepy and incredibly dark. For me the standout film of the franchise.
Old 1st June 2014, 07:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Gothic Lolita Battle Bear was described by the programmer who introduced it as 'intelligent, philisophical arthouse' although I guess it was with his tongue firmly in cheek. Intead we got 90 minutes of unrelenting optimistic craziness of the type only Japanese film can pull off. Hugely likeable, really enjoyable I think you would have to be already dead inside not to have fun with this film. Recommended!

Last edited by SShaw; 1st June 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old 1st June 2014, 08:37 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
Just turned off Stoker, which I found really impenetrable and left me cold. It looks great and is no doubt technically accomplished but I found the characters difficult to relate to and the whole thing a little pretentious. Maybe I'll give it another spin at some point.
I think I've seen Stoker four times, and find it to be an excellent film each time. There's something about the claustrophobia and extreme creepiness that works for me (and everyone else I know), so you should really give it another try at some point in the future.
Old 1st June 2014, 08:51 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I think I've seen Stoker four times, and find it to be an excellent film each time. There's something about the claustrophobia and extreme creepiness that works for me (and everyone else I know), so you should really give it another try at some point in the future.
You're probably right and I do plan to revisit it in the near future. I don't think I was in the mood for it last night

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Like this? Share it using the links below!