Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181797Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th July 2015, 01:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437918155.406917.jpg

An interesting idea that's involves some type of monster that is passed on by sexual contact and can only be seen by the person it's been past onto. But in the end I found it was let down by a poor script, acting, and characters I just didn't care for. 5/10
Old 26th July 2015, 10:23 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Continuing with my 'Shameless Sunday Nights'

#3 The Killer Nun - I'm sure I had this once as a Redemption VHS but couldn't remember it. Why this was banned I've no idea? However it's not great but its far better than last weeks 'Phantom of Death'.

#4 Torso - Not a bad movie, first time seeing it, boobs, boobs, boobs and there's also a psycho!
Old 27th July 2015, 08:09 AM
Cult Acolyte

The Bedroom Window. Steve Guttenberg plays a young man having an affair with his boss's wife, who witnesses an attack on a young woman outside his bedroom window. When another girl is murdered not long after and just a few streets away, they realise the same man is likely responsible but to avoid exposure, he goes to the police as the "witness" instead of her. But when discrepancies cause his story to fall apart, he suddenly finds himself prime suspect - a mistake the real killer is only too happy to reinforce. Average late 80s thriller that starts well but becomes increasingly implausible the longer it goes on.
Old 27th July 2015, 08:23 AM
Cult Acolyte

ZOMBI HOLOCAUST
Splatter - filled tale of zombies and cannibalism on a remote island ( aren't they always? ).
Not having seen it for years, I'd forgotton how enjoyable ( and gory! ) this one was. Not in the same league as ZOMBIE FLESH EATERS, but well worth your £8.99 - particularly when 88's nice new blu ray transfer also includes an excellent documentary on Italian cannibal movies and a very funny Q&A with Ian McCullogh.

SOME CALL IT LOVING
A 1970s retelling of the Sleeping Beauty tale, this one tells of a musician ( BLUE SUNSHINE's Zalman King ) buying the sleeping fairground beauty ( Tisa Farrow ) and subsequently falling in love with her. Gorgeous visuals abound in this slow burning tale, which may not be for all tastes. However, if you just immerse yourself in the whole strangeness of it all, it may just win you over. A gorgeous blu ray from Vinegar Syndrome.
Old 27th July 2015, 11:05 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
And, at 17 years old, legal!

I'm guessing you are being facetious about Melissa McCarthy!
Yes. But that's what she is imo.

Watched Bloody Birthday (Ed Hunt, 1981)
Evil kids film. Never took out the VHS, possibly because I hated Happy Birthday To Me??? So this was another revelation. So that covers that then. Elizabeth Hoy shines as the ringleader.
Never wanted kids, and on the strength of this I wus rite!!! Recommended!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th July 2015, 11:10 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Attachment 168098

Story of young struggling actress that answers an ad in paper for a leading role in a film once she does strange things start to happen. Very well acted especially from the main star, atmospheric and has been mention has David lynch vibe to the film. Drags a little in the middle but make up for it in gore drenched final act and as Dem said it leaves you with a WTF have I watched feeling when the credits role. A very pleasant surprise. Moral of the story don't suck any strange old men's cocks no matter what they offer 8/10

Now watching it follows
A lesson for us all methinks....
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th July 2015, 11:19 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Heist (2001)

Initially surprised this was from 2001, it looked like it could have been made in the late 80's (feel and style) except for the occasional cell phone and some other newer technology. Same director as the fabulous House of Games (1987).

Originally intended as a conveniently located test disc for my new home cinema set up, this quickly grabbed me (I'm a big fan of old heist films)...and certainly provided an entertaining watch but not without some small grievances on my behalf (I wonder if the movie was shortened which led to some small plot holes or if the director wanted to keep his audience completely in the dark?).
Nevertheless I certainly enjoyed the general mood and feel of the film.

PS it looked great (for an upscaled dvd) on my new system btw.

Last edited by bdc; 27th July 2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 27th July 2015, 11:52 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post

Heist (2001)

Initially surprised this was from 2001, it looked like it could have been made in the late 80's (feel and style) except for the occasional cellphone and some other newer technology. Same director as the fabulous House of Games (1987).

Originally intended as a conveniently located test disc for my new home cinema set up, this quickly grabbed me (I'm a big fan of old heist films)...and certainly provided an entertaining watch but not without some small grievances on my behalf (I wonder if the movie was shortened which led to some small plotholes or if the director wanted to keep his audience completely in the dark?).
Nevertheless I certainly enjoyed the general mood and feel of the film.

PS it looked great (for an upscaled dvd) on my new system btw.
I also like this. A twisty turny heist thriller with strong performances. The plane sequences were well done. Even on a second viewing a couple of years back it still held my attention as i'd forgotten a lot of the goings on.
bdc and keirarts like this.
Old 27th July 2015, 04:57 PM
Cult Addict

Just watched Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Very silly but i really enjoyed it. Better than a hundred Dark of the Moonbollocks.
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 27th July 2015, 05:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

BLACK MOON (1934)

A woman brought up on an island where voodoo is practiced, returns to the island years later with disasterous results for her family when she is made voodoo High Priestess of the island.
Really enjoyed this one. I had never seen it before. Very atmospheric, the drums beating in the background give a real sense of chill and running at just over an hour and featuring Fay Wray you just can't go wrong.
Recommended.

Like this? Share it using the links below!