Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181802Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2015, 06:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default what

Stalag 17 1953
My favorite Billy Wilder film,which is difficult considering the amount of great films he has made,but for me Stalag17 is so good its almost perfect,the film never misses a beat and hasn't a single bad performance.William Holden is the cocky black marketeer, J.J. Sefton who falls foul of his fellow prisoners due to his collaborating with the German guards.And when information is leaked to the guards its Sefton the suspicion falls upon.
Sefton: There are two people in this barracks who know I didn't do it. Me and the guy that did do it.
Written for the stage by Edmund Trzcinski(who has a great cameo as Triz' Trzcinski) and Donald Bevan based on there own experiences of a POW camp,the film very rarely stray's from the actual barracks. With a superb cast that includes Peter Graves,Neville Brand and Otto Preminger.The comedy is pitch perfect and doesn't distract from the reality of the situation of the characters or there plight.Its very witty and has a clever little story that has great satisfying outcome to the story.

Triz' Trzcinski: [after reading letter from home] I believe it. My wife says, "Darling, you won't believe it, but I found the most adorable baby on our doorstep and I've decided to keep it for our very own. Now you won't believe it, but it's got exactly my eyes and nose." Why does she keep saying I won't believe it? I believe it! I believe it.

The Incredible Melting Man (1977)
Steve West: You've never seen anything, til you've seen the Sun through the rings of Saturn!
A film which Ive viewed twice this week,and didn't fall asleep either times,(a world record me thinks).You could not get a more simpler story,man goes into space,man returns to earth,man starts melting,man walks around with bits slowly falling off him,man finally turns into massive bloody puddle (oopps spoiler alert).Its a strange film that bills his main cast member Alex Rebar as Incredible Melting Man,although he is referred to as Steve in the film.Theres no story really its just a man rambling across the countryside losing limbs on the way.So thank god for Rick Baker and Greg Cannom who did the special makeup effects,he doesn't so much as melt but scab over and then OOZZE like a bubbling lasagna just out of the oven.it would be no surprise if the makers of Street Trash were fans as it definitely has that vibe about it.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space
PT Barnum said it so long ago
There's one born every minute, don't you know
Some make us laugh, some make us cry
These clowns only gonna make you die

If ever a film did what it said on the label then this is it,no false advertising here folks,klowns that kill from space,with popcorn and candy floss no less.Its really fun and amusing on a juvenile level.But the real star of the film is the brilliant klown make-up each klown has his own unique look and the prosthetics effects are well crafted and make it a cut above your usual low budget 80s flick.Plus what a killer theme song from The Dickies.

They Nest (2000)
Not to be confused with The Nest,Robins Nest or Nestle ,They Nest is a fun and un pretentious little bugs movie.I luv bug movies whether its William Castles Bugs trying to communicate with Brad Dillman,or the They're Creeping Up on You segment from Creepshow or just plain old giant ants trying to annoy Joan Collins (not such a bad idea toffy nosed strumpet)cockroaches,not only a dirty word but there considered the creepiest and ugliest in the bug fraternity,(not sure if they were even invited to Ugly Bug Ball).Not only are these cockroaches, but African ones (because every disease or plague seems to come from there) and they spawn a hybrid flying version just to irritate the locals.Probably the only film ever to have a chase scene involving a cockroaches and a hamster.So if your any way creeped out by these critters you better bug off.

Old 23rd August 2015, 07:11 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Now, I had a vague recollection of there being a thread to identify films that you may have half a recollection of but I couldn't find it so I'm plonking this plea here as this is a heavily used thread. Obviously I haven't seen this film recently as I can't remember it.

I don't remember much and I doubt it will ring any direct bells with anyone but I'm just hoping someone might know.

I'm pretty sure I watched it on Channel 4, mid to late 90s, late night. I don't think it was horror but it may have been sexy.

I don't even know if it was English language or where it was set other than Europe. Girl, boarding dance school. Not Suspiria, Not Étoile.

I really know this isn't much to go by at all, I don't think my description would do it but if anyone knows what was shown late night on Channel 4 (or BBC 2) throughout the 90s I might just get somewhere.

Now I wonder if I'm mixing memories. After much searching, the film First Name: Carmen has the right kind of buildings and lighting..
Old 23rd August 2015, 08:05 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Now I wonder if I'm mixing memories. After much searching, the film First Name: Carmen has the right kind of buildings and lighting..

Well, you ARE getting to that age where the memory starts playing tricks.

Joking!
keirarts and SharonLynette like this.
Old 23rd August 2015, 08:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1440360781.696834.jpg

Forgotten how much I enjoyed this wonderful and uplifting romantic comedy. In the height of the fear of the Cold War and nuclear Armageddon a husband and his pregnant wife take to there fallout shelter in fear of a possible nuclear attack, three is an explosion, but it's not a nuclear attack but a jet plane that crashes and demolish the house. The husband played Christopher Walken sets the timer on the fault for 35 years, in this time they raise there son with their 50/60s values.

35 years pass and the son ( Brendan Fraser ) sets out to restock their supply's and find himself a none mutated wife Along the way he meets Eve and what we have from them is a wonderful feel good romantic comedy about a fish out of water that has lead the ultimate sheltered life. We also have sissy spacek who gives a hilarious performance as the movie. Also look out for a young Nathan Fillion as a love rival. 9.5/10

Now watching inkubus which is better than I was expecting
Old 23rd August 2015, 08:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Well, you ARE getting to that age where the memory starts playing tricks.

Joking!
You may be joking but it's true, I have old insides, old memory, but the looks of someone at least ten years younger...
Old 23rd August 2015, 08:45 PM
Cult Addict

Martial Arts of Shaolin.

Jet Li hops, skips and jumps across some amazing background landscapes, from one set piece to another, in this light but overall enjoyable film. The fight scenes are large in scope, bloodless and semi comical in tone and there are loads of them. Fun.
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:09 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You may be joking but it's true, I have old insides, old memory, but the looks of someone at least ten years younger...

Oi! I also have the looks of someone ateast ten years younger. Ok, that's a lie!
SharonLynette likes this.
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Watched Arrow's NIGHT OF THE COMET last night; watching Arrow's DERANGED now, with the Tom Savini and Calum Waddell audio commentary. Both movies look excellent in HD.
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Sunday....so its yellow!

#11 - My Dear Killer (1972) Pretty much unengaging for me this one, didn't bore me at least!

#12 - Ratman (1988) Quite like this one, one of the first Shameless titles I ever bought mainly because of the tagline.

Oh and none Shameless related: Just saw the Pingu/Thing.......Briliant! Never thought I'd see Pingu say "F*** You!"

Last edited by JoshuaKaitlyn; 23rd August 2015 at 10:57 PM.
Old 23rd August 2015, 09:46 PM
Cult Addict

The Kid with the Golden Arm.

Excellent martial arts action in a great looking studio setting which gives the film a heightened sense of detachment from reality fitting to the absurdities of the plot and characters. I really enjoyed this, especially the way as the film progressed, the fights got more and more bloody. Recommended.
bdc, Demoncrat, keirarts and 4 others like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!