Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181797Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2015, 07:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I got carried away yesterday and in between typing up an assignment I managed to fit in 4 films!

Ex Machina

A quiet and brooding and somewhat intense feature by writer/director Alex Garland set in a remote cabin and featuring a cast of only 4 people. Although it's the most tech cabin in the woods you've ever seen! It managed to build up suspense and tension very well even though nothing really happens. Then it's the finale which makes you ask questions of yourself.

Annie

No, not the remake... Don't know why but I thought I'd watch this for the zillionth time while typing. Ended up spending more time watching the TV screen than the laptop screen so perhaps it wasn't a great idea haha ♫♪Easy Street...

Stephen King's IT

Tim Curry again, although not intentionally. Technically I watched this over two days, I stuck part 1 on before I went to bed on Saturday and watched the flipside of the disc yesterday afternoon. Not watched this since it came out, I think it was in the video shop back in 1991 and I was 14... It's not as good as I remember it. The main problem with IT is the kids grow up, everything is far more interesting in the first half. I've not read the book but I do have it loaded onto my kindle. All the amazon/imdb reviews are saying the book is awesome even if the filmed version is not.

Marnie

Going through the Hitchcock Universal Box Set and watching the ones I've never seen before, and wow. Marnie is a very damaged woman who literally sees red! Some of the plot is questionable and most of this is down to Sean Connery's character of Mark who seems to think that the best way to solve an issue with a woman freaking out is to kiss her, or later on, force her to perform wifely duties! Aside from the dubious sex overtones this was a rollercoaster ride of a thriller.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th November 2015, 04:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Slap Shot 1977 George Roy Hill,

Slap Shot 1977 George Roy Hill,
I remember back in the giddy days of the VHS /betamax wars (kids today don't know there born,there was no such thing as netflix or downloads, I had to walk 5 miles to the nearest video rental emporium)When I rented the film Film Rollerball,with its cover of James Caan wearing a crash helmet and waving a spiked glove in my face,I assumed it was gonna be wall to wall mad max style carnage,er I was wrong,the actual rollerball scenes themselves were well done but didn't make up for the ponderous navel gazing Rollerball is used to control the populace by demonstrating the futility of individuality as quoted,yeah right.Slap Shot on the other hand not only dishes out the violence in spades but does;nt trying to figure out why people like to beat the crap out of each while wielding a bloody great stick (we know why because its fun)It just then shows us that in between the violence is drinking,sex more drinking and even more sex.
Written by Nancy Dowd and inspired by her brother Ned Dowd who played minor League hockey,Ned also appears in the film as notorious Ogie Ogelthorpe.The film easily swings from drama to comedy to violence to unadulterated debauchery.
Reggie Dunlop (Paul Newman) has to steer his hockey team thru the Federal League but the owner Joe McGrath (Strother Martin) wants to close the team at the end of the season.So bring in the Hanson Bros who basically fight there way thru matches and when there not playing hockey there playing with there toy cars.With a menageries of misfit characters and Porky style shenanigans there's no need to be sports fan or a hockey enthusiast ,if only they could make real sport this interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pdvd_007_16409200783_o.jpg (83.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg pdvd_003_16409202013_o.jpg (80.3 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg slap-shot-1977_16821926957_o.jpg (78.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-2015-04-03-02h40m39s102_16821927417_o.jpg (83.3 KB, 4 views)

Old 9th November 2015, 05:07 PM
Cult Addict

Tusk

Given the apparent implosion of his career following the disastrous Copout it was nice to see Kevin Smith returning to film-making. Even better that the film is terrific. I'm sure some people will disagree but Tusk is a film made based on personal obsession and with blatant disregard for mass appeal. This tale of a man who finds redemption (of a kind) after being turned into a walrus by a crazy Michael parks, is weird & self indulgent and interesting enough to appeal to me. Is it perfect? No. But its a damned site more interesting than a lot of the bland formulaic junk that's being released. Along with the entertaining RED STATE I think Smith has really become an interesting film maker again.

10 to midnight

More ultra violence from the Cannon studio, this one has Cannon stalwart Charles Bronson playing a worn down cop who crosses the line in order to nail a vicious misogynist killer who is terrorising women. J lee Thompson delivers solid direction and a nice bit of brutality to the proceedings, the films premise that the mentally ill are all faking it to get off charges is a little nuts, but then it was the 80's and this shit seemed to fly better then. Its a terrific little film nonetheless.

Wheels of fire

Corman produced, Phillipines shot road warrior knock off. A wafer thin plot filled with violence, rape and car chases. The sexual violence gets a little uncomfortable as it feels there for titillation purposes but its overall a fun slice of exploitation.

The sisterhood

More post apocalypse exploitation, this one about a group of mutant women called the sisterhood who are on a rescue mission after a bunch of sleazy warlords capture their sisters. More car chases and violence, less sexual violence and the ending kicks ass.

Equalizer 2000

Yet more, this one has a bloke with a super weapon travelling across post apocalypse Alaska fighting goons (including an early appearance from Robert Patrick) possibly the best of the 3, with tons of violence and car chases.

Stone cold

Cheesy but fun cop thriller with Brian Bosworth going undercover to bust some bikers. Its a pretty ludicrous and over the top slice of action but fun so long as your willing to suspend all sense of disbelief.
Old 9th November 2015, 05:34 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Tusk

Given the apparent implosion of his career following the disastrous Copout it was nice to see Kevin Smith returning to film-making. Even better that the film is terrific. I'm sure some people will disagree but Tusk is a film made based on personal obsession and with blatant disregard for mass appeal. This tale of a man who finds redemption (of a kind) after being turned into a walrus by a crazy Michael parks, is weird & self indulgent and interesting enough to appeal to me. Is it perfect? No. But its a damned site more interesting than a lot of the bland formulaic junk that's being released. Along with the entertaining RED STATE I think Smith has really become an interesting film maker again.
I've been meaning to check out Tusk, I loved Red State. I don't count Copout as a Kevin Smith movie though haha. I did enjoy his rant against critics though and saying that he would no longer do free screenings for magazines etc and if they wanted to review his films they have to buy a ticket
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 9th November 2015, 07:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

The Final Girls. Really wanted to like this... really didn't. Horror-comedies are presumably supposed to be a mix of the scary and the funny and this was neither. Far too stupid to be remotely scary, and the humour was very much of the deeply tiresome, deeply unfunny "look how clever-clever we are" variety so beloved of the modern age. The lead girl was quite cute, but the whole mother plot just made it seem to me like the filmmakers wanted to be making something else entirely. Awful!
Old 9th November 2015, 08:09 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
The Final Girls. Really wanted to like this... really didn't. Horror-comedies are presumably supposed to be a mix of the scary and the funny and this was neither. Far too stupid to be remotely scary, and the humour was very much of the deeply tiresome, deeply unfunny "look how clever-clever we are" variety so beloved of the modern age. The lead girl was quite cute, but the whole mother plot just made it seem to me like the filmmakers wanted to be making something else entirely. Awful!
It's on my 'to watch' pile, but Noir-November is taking priority at the moment.
Old 9th November 2015, 10:33 PM
Cult Addict

Creature

An adaptation of the Peter Benchley story, Creature stars Craig T Nelson as a marine biologist studying sharks in order to cure cancer. Science myth no.11324 Sharks don't get cancer.. yes they do!
It turns out a navy research base on the island had been doing some frankenstein experiments some years back and the fruits of that research, a shark-man hybrid is on the loose.
Creature could easily cut down to a 90 minute creature feature and be all the better for it. This is a TV movie and is 3 hours. While a little overlong its entertaining enough and the shark creature looks pretty decent.
Old 9th November 2015, 10:38 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Creature

An adaptation of the Peter Benchley story, Creature stars Craig T Nelson as a marine biologist studying sharks in order to cure cancer. Science myth no.11324 Sharks don't get cancer.. yes they do!
It turns out a navy research base on the island had been doing some frankenstein experiments some years back and the fruits of that research, a shark-man hybrid is on the loose.
Creature could easily cut down to a 90 minute creature feature and be all the better for it. This is a TV movie and is 3 hours. While a little overlong its entertaining enough and the shark creature looks pretty decent.
I've tried to buy this from marketplace sellers twice but been sent a dodgy movie about Indian spirits instead...on both occasions. I returned the first one but kept the second copy as it was actually pretty decent.
keirarts likes this.
Old 10th November 2015, 06:25 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've tried to buy this from marketplace sellers twice but been sent a dodgy movie about Indian spirits instead...on both occasions. I returned the first one but kept the second copy as it was actually pretty decent.
I'd actually be interested in knowing what that film is..
Old 10th November 2015, 08:35 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Creature

I'm pretty sure the DVD I have is part of the B-Movie Collection. As I recall, it's surprisingly enjoyable nonsense.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!