LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2016, 03:05 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Nothing happens in the first hour, that's why. Hence the intermission I presume haha
The last hour is certainly better than the first.
Old 7th July 2016, 03:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesN View Post
Yeah, I was quite disappointed with this one. Did NOT expect that at all, as I'm a huge Tarantino fan. But it was the first one that sorta bored me.
Pity, i loved Hateful Eight. One of if not Tarantino's best film for me.
Old 7th July 2016, 06:51 PM
Cult Addict

Haunting of Morella

Jim Wynorski re-visits the Corman-poe era exploitation pictures and incorporates more tits as a virginal young woman is haunted by her mother who was burned at the stake and now wants to come back in the body of her daughter. One of mr Wynorski's better films (though not as good as chopping mall) this one actually maintains a great story and decent atmosphere between the tits and blood. The new Blu-ray looks great and seems more uncut than my hazy recollection of the VHS.

High rise

Cying for an adaptation for bloody ages, we finally get a version of J.G Ballard book on the big screen. If you don't get on with wheatley's previous films then don't bother with this. If you dug them then check it out. Rather than simply slap Ballards speculative , surreal sc-fi masterpiece on the screen, wheatley seems to have used it as a comment/critique on the neo-liberal experiment that actually seems quite horrifyingly perseptive about the country I live in when I look at the news.

The rows

A young girls gets sent to serve an eviction notice at a remote farm house and ends up stuck in some nightmarish cycle of death and rebirth among the corn rows. No classic, its pretty decent however for a low budgeter and makes the most of a small cast and limited location. Probably on netflix.
Old 7th July 2016, 07:03 PM
Cult Addict

Pod

A brother & sister head to a remote cabin to stage an intervention on their brother who seems to be in the middle of a full breakdown. when they get there he's going nuts and claiming hes captured a monster in the basement. Initially thinking he's nuts they try to get hom come home but as the day progresses they realise that something more might be going on. Essentially three characters for 90 minutes its a fairly interesting little chiller that is probably worth a go on netflix.

Spectre

Ok, so the attempt to tie up all the loose ends of the craig bond films doesn't quite work, and Donal pleasance is pretty hard to top as Blofeld. I have to say I still enjoyed this on the small screen. Its not as good as Skyfall but its a lot better than Quantum of solace.

Sicario

Actually my third time reviewing this. I still think its terrific. Emily blunt is great as the beleagured and terrified Fed in over her head co-opeating with the CIA in the bloody and destructive war against the mexican cartels. Benicio Del Toro steals scenes purely by lurking in the background and his characters final payoff is still genuinely messed up with a bleak, cynical and horrifying ending.
Old 7th July 2016, 07:07 PM
Cult Addict

Black mass

Sadly falling short of my expectations. This film is another account of the Boston crime scene. Scorsese really delivered with The Departed and Ben Affleck managed to impress me with The Town. Personally I don't think this is as good as either of those. That said its perfectly servicable in its own right and one of Johnny Depps better films recently (not saying much admittedly). Not as dark and twisted as I'd hoped its still worth sinking a beer or two to.
Old 7th July 2016, 08:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Curse (1987)

The Curse (1987)
Falling under the genre of rural American farm horror movie (see Deadly Blessings) ,The Curse cheekily borrows from The Blob and the Creepshow episode The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill.Now this is supposed to be adaptation of H. P. Lovecraft's The Colour Out of Space ,but I have never read that story so can not confirm or disagree with how accurate that this is.Also according to the WWW Lucio Fulci supervised the gore effects,again apart from a dodgy name on the credits I have no idea why on earth he would do this.(im sure someone could confirm this) Nathan Crane (Claude Akins) is a religious nut who spouts the bible and refuses to have sex with his dead brothers wife Kathleen Jordon Gregory as Frances Crane. Wil Wheaton as Zack Crane and Amy Wheaton as Alice Crane are not particularly happy living with nutty uncle Nathan and his dumb ass bullying son. On top of this the farm is losing money and is under threat from having the land turned into a reservoir. Just when things could not get any worse a giant meteorite crashes lands on the farm nearby,glowing away like one giant testicle looking for its mate. This simultaneously happens when Frances Crane. decides to have sex with the farm hand,so the earth really did move for her anyway, At first the crops are looking good,the chickens are clucking and the cows are a mooing,until the meteorite seems to have polluted the farm's water,turning the apples into maggot ridden disgusting yuck,the cows udders are not looking great either and the chickens are just foul. And who ever drinks the water starts to get a completion that not even the best botox surgeon could sort out. I have to say I enjoyed The Curse ,its a fairly well made pot boiler,with some nice goey effects and some rather good acting from the young Wil Wheaton not to forget Claude Akins without his ape make-up is always fun.Make a good double with Deadly Blessings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-curse-movie-poster-1992-10202333131.jpg (68.2 KB, 2 views)

Old 7th July 2016, 08:56 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Superstition (2001)

Sienna Guillory plays a nanny out in the Italian countryside who is found with her dead ward in a blazing room. Believed to be a witch by the Italian press and a vengeful public it's up to lawyer, Mark Strong to fight her defence.

Superstition is an interesting film, looking at the power of the media in a witch hunt, quite literally in this case, but also a gripping thriller with supernatural overtones even though the majority of the film is set in a court room.

The film has a fantastic British ensemble cast. Guillory does well in a difficult role and Strong is always a draw in my eyes, one of the best actors working today, so when you throw in David Warner, Charlotte Rampling and Frances Barber to the mix you've got a bit of an acting tour de force and a movie for adults to enjoy rather than the screaming multiplexes resulting in a mature film that grabbed me from the off.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg superstition.jpg (89.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 7th July 2016, 10:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Broken Arrow. John Travolta and Christian Slater are military pilots taking a nuclear-capable aircraft for a test flight when Travolta goes rogue, ejecting Slater and crashing the craft with the intention of stealing the nukes and then selling them back to the US government for lots and lots and lots of money. As the government tries to figure out what's going on Slater is left with no option but to try to stop Travolta and his band of mercenaries, aided only by a feisty park ranger (Samantha Mathis). This mid 90s action flick is great fun, with Travolta chewing the scenery most entertainingly as the utterly loony villain and Slater and Mathis making for likeable heroes, together with plenty of great stunts and action sequences. Haven't seen this for donkeys years, but a hoot!
Old 8th July 2016, 12:02 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iank View Post
Broken Arrow. John Travolta and Christian Slater are military pilots taking a nuclear-capable aircraft for a test flight when Travolta goes rogue, ejecting Slater and crashing the craft with the intention of stealing the nukes and then selling them back to the US government for lots and lots and lots of money. As the government tries to figure out what's going on Slater is left with no option but to try to stop Travolta and his band of mercenaries, aided only by a feisty park ranger (Samantha Mathis). This mid 90s action flick is great fun, with Travolta chewing the scenery most entertainingly as the utterly loony villain and Slater and Mathis making for likeable heroes, together with plenty of great stunts and action sequences. Haven't seen this for donkeys years, but a hoot!
Awesome film iank. One i need to pick up on blublay.
Old 8th July 2016, 12:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Pity, i loved Hateful Eight. One of if not Tarantino's best film for me.
Loved all his films upto Death proof, wasnt overly keen.
Havent watched inglorious Bastards for some reason i dont know why im just not that interested in watching it and from what ive seen hasnt convinced me otherwise.
Django unchained i was extremely disappointed, and bored senseless with h8ful eight

Like this? Share it using the links below!