All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180744Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2017, 09:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

" .... the house has what it wants .... for a while"

Film.

Satan's Harvest (1970, George Montgomery)
SA based romp. George inherits a whole heap of shenanigans when he returns to the family homestead. Featuring a wildly miscast Tippi Hedren (escaping from Hitch??) and Davy Kaye, yes, the peeved bookie in Carry On At Your Convenience. Ahem. Some shit blows up ... though the print looked like 3 miles of bad road .

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 10th October 2017, 10:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Would say that's it, just look at site like amazon for the amount of people that complained that they had too get off there fat asses to change a disc.
Must confess that I do find it a bit frustrating to still have to change blu-rays on the extended versions of Lord of the Rings. You'd have thought that using 50gb discs would mean that the films wouldn't require that. Still, I suppose that decision meant superior PQ/AQ so I probably shouldn't grumble about it!
keirarts and trebor8273 like this.
Old 10th October 2017, 10:50 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Dead Silence
A young man and his girlfriend receive a package containing a ventriloquist dummy. The boyfriend leaves, then returns to find his girlfriend dead with no tongue. After this he becomes suspect number 1, he returns to his hometown and begins looking into a local legend.
I haven't watched this film in years and it still is as enjoyable as it was the last time I saw it. Really interesting concept as well as some tense moments which thankfully make up for an average soundtrack.
7/10

Sent from my MediaPad T1 8.0 Pro using Tapatalk
Separated at birth. Ant from ant and dec and the dummy from dead silence...

dead silence dummy.jpg Ant-and-Decs-Saturday-Night-Takeaway-Childline-Ball.jpg
Old 10th October 2017, 11:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Needful Things 1993

In a small town a new shop opens called Needful Things run by Leyland Gaunt (Max Von Sydow). He offers people their desires but it comes with a price which turns everyone against each other.

Another Stephen King adaptation that was made but left a lot out of the book. In the novel Ace Merrill (Stand by me) was left out and other characters. Alan Pangborn (The Dark Half) is the sheriff played by Ed Harris who manages to save the movie along with Bonnie Bedelia. J.T. Walsh plays the big town official. There are some laughable moments in this movie.

The original version was made into a 3 hour movie with more back stories to some of the town people and their purchases but was left out and some extra bits from the main cast. Even this version is good and enjoyable, I'm unsure if the original cut is available or not.
Old 11th October 2017, 05:48 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Separated at birth. Ant from ant and dec and the dummy from dead silence...

Attachment 197505 Attachment 197506
Are you sure that is Ant? It could be Dec!
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 11th October 2017, 07:43 AM
Cult Addict

Friday

Should be in two parts due to the short film showcase.

Poor Agnes

An active female serial killer called Agnes operating in Canada is approached by a private detective who is pursuing a missing persons case. The 'missing' person is one of her prior victims. One would expect that the private detective would be a dead man but Agnes decides to keep him. After spending some time breaking his will he becomes her pet enduring the various torments she inflicts on him.
Not a cheerful film perhaps but it has its moments of black humour. Poor Agnes is a great serial killer flick that plays with the dynamics of the two characters with our titular killer playing the dominant and the detective the submissive. While he starts out as a victim, he slowly becomes complicit in Agnes killing and it seems to appear that he's getting something out of the relationship. If you get the chance check this one out.

Short film showcase

Fissure

A woman whose child disappeared ten years ago is plagued by nightmares. She self medicates with smack and begins to discover that her drug fuelled dreams may be taking her to the place her child was taken. An odd little mix of influences including Donnie Darko and Absentia.

Real gods require blood

Sort of like benefits street relocated to one of the layers of hell. A young heroin addict is asked to watch her neighbours kids. What seems at first like a neglectful parents gets steadily darker as the family secrets are uncovered one by one. Highly atmospheric little horror that calls back to the VHS era. I can imagine its the sort of family the tabloids were dreaming of during the nasties scare.

Birthday

A nurse who is steadily robbing the patients in her nursing home steals the ring of a woman who has just turned 100. Things then get weird for the nurse who discovers there may be a curse attached to the ring. #

2 A.M

A first person perspective (think hardcore henry) film from the perspective of someone who is either mad or trapped in hell. Lots of use of symbolism from Alice in Wonderland which is such a heavily mined source at this point it feels a little cliche. However its a solidly made short that was still an interesting watch.

Born again

A group of bumbling satanists are attempting to raise the Antichrist. They read the ritual in reverse by accident and summon Jesus. A simple enough story told well with lots of genuinely funny moments.

Liz Drives

A woman is driving her sister to a party. Her sister appears to get kidnapped and the woman must pursue the kidnapper to get her sister back. Or is it all in her head? Decent Australian short with a great ending.

They make you grow a beard.

Irish bodysnatchers film where the menace is hipsters rather than aliens. Genuinely funny unless you have a beard and tattoo's because a lifestyle magazine told you to, or you were just going along with everyone else.
Old 11th October 2017, 08:19 AM
Cult Addict

Friday (part 2)

Trench 11

A 'men on a mission' war movie set during WW1 which quickly morphs into a claustrophobic horror movie. A group of Allies head to a mysterious German bunker after uncovering evidence suggesting of experiments with biological warfare. Arriving at the trench they discover the bunker has been seemingly abandoned, however as they make their way into the complex they discover the infected victims are still roaming the cramped corridors.
While the film plays with ideas used in other films previously, its to this films credit that it still feels fresh and original. The infected here are genuinely creepy and whats infecting them feels like something from a Cronenberg film. The set design is terrific and the dark, cramped corridors really help create a sense of claustrophobia.

Creeper

A woman takes an Uber home. The driver takes a fancy to her so he breaks in and spends some time wandering her house, eating her food watching her sleep and then live streaming it. An utterly creept short film from Australia that feels totally invasive. Even better as it worked well with the film it was programmed with...

Freehold

A cocky, laddish Estate agent lives blissfully unaware that there's a huge Spanish bloke living in a hidden compartment in his flat. When he's out at work his uninvited houseguest crawls out and uses his toothbrush, eats his food and entertains himself with things he finds around the home. Gradually he gets more vindictive and when the estate agent's girlfriend comes to live with him he actively begins to destroy his life.
More Comedy horror than horror comedy this one is genuinely funny, while at the same time feeling incredibly invasive and gross. Javier Botet who plays the unwanted guest is probably someone you'll recognise from films like REC where he played the final giant infected. Here he's given more humanity so while you'll be genuinely creeped out by him, by the end of the film he becomes someone more tragic.

68 kill

Chip (Matthew Gray Gubler) is a hapless waste collection operative who appears to be punching WAY above his weight with his girlfriend Liza (AnnaLynn McCord). She's incredibly hot if not a little flakey and Chips work colleague warns him that pussy is going to lead him to prison. As if on cue he gets home from work to find Liz with two hanguns and a plan to rob the rich guy she's banging for rent money. Chip goes along with the plan only to discover Liza is a complete sociopath with no compunctions on killing. After they take a hostage to her serial killer brother Chip finally snaps and does a runner with the hostage and the money. However Chips weekend hasn't even begun to get messed up yet.
Possibly one of my favourites of the festival. 68 kill is a bloody road movie with some genuinely brilliant black humour to it. Gubler is a gifted actor and really delivers as Chip with some perfect timing in the delivery of his dialogue. A lot of the film hangs on his performance and he's totally spot on. AnnaLynne McCord is great as usual. She's really gone out on a limb with some of the roles she chooses and here she really steals the scenes she's in. The film really brings out some dark and twisted characters and refuses to waste any of them. Definitely recommended.

A peculiar thud.

Another short. A man wakes up in the middle of the night to discover a stranger at his door who wants to come in and won't take no as an answer. Creepy as hell, its got a great sense of space in the house as the mans night gets steadily worse and has a nice, creepy tone to it.

Better watch out.

I'm not going to say a lot about this. If possible you need to go into it knowing as little as possible. It starts out as a cliched as hell tale of a babysitter being tormented by home invaders then actually becomes something way darker. I really hope I can grab a copy of this before xmas as it's probably going to be a seasonal favourite.

Tag

A new film from Sion Sono, possibly one of my favourite Japanese directors working today. Its begins with one of the most insane openings I've seen in a film which then becomes a hyper kinetic movie that the closest comparison I could come up with was mother!.
Its really hard to sum this film up. It feels completely unhinged but it does have a purpose. My own reading of this was that it was a complete deconstruction of female roles in Japanese popular culture like anime and videogames. I pre-ordered the film after seeing it.
Old 11th October 2017, 08:31 AM
Cult Acolyte

I want to see Better Watch Out. It's supposed to be out here next month, though it remains to be seen if my cinema will get it...
Old 11th October 2017, 09:11 AM
Cult Addict

Saturday

Killing ground

Wolf creek has a lot to answer for. It feels like every other Australian film I see is about suburbanites out in the outback and running into rural psychopaths. That said its still a solid little film. It has an off kilter structure that's interesting and it delivers the suspense well. It has some horrid scenes but shy's away from the real nastiness and ends up landing itself a 15 certificate. Worth checking out if you get the chance but I wouldn't brace yourself for any real originality.

Sound from the deep

A 30 minute short from Finland. This one has a research vessel looking for gas deposits encounter a strange sound from the ocean floor. As they track the noise crew members begin going mad and what they ultimately find is pure cosmic horror.
The sad thing with short films like this is that they eventually disappear into the ether. Especially sad with this as its probably one of the best attempts at delivering pure Lovecraftian horror to the screen that I've seen. Keep checking youtube and places like that because this really needs to be seen.

Replace

A young woman finds herself stricken with amnesia and a really nasty skin condition that leads to extremely rapid ageing. She's being treated at a private clinic run by a sinister doctor (played by Barbara Crampton) who seems to have her own agenda. The woman discovers her own treatment however, that involves taking the skin from living victims to replace her own.
A new take on the vampire movie, with elements of Giallo pictures and Early Cronenberg. The Films biggest claim to fame is a script co-written by Richard Stanley. Its an interesting and stylish picture that some might find a little too icy for their tastes but I really dug it.

Fierce

A french animated short where an executive is kidnapped and dumped into a rural location. Here he's forced into a bloody game of survival against a mysterious man armed with a rifle. An interesting and nasty little film that hopefully will be available to watch again at some point.

Game of death

A group of idle, hedonistic teens are having a party when one of them discovers the 'game of death'. Thinking its a regular board game they all place their fingers on the board. The game then challenges them to kill 42 people or die themselves instead. The teens think its a joke at first but then one of their friends heads explodes and they realise they need to take it seriously. It then becomes a bloody, brutal and mean spirited road trip as the gang struggle with the decision to simply die or kill a bunch of innocent people. The film has a real comic book feel to it, not unlike the strange otherworldy media filtered tone of Oliver stones Natural Born killers mixed in with the almost misenthropic world view of Battle Royale. Worth checking out though.

Double date

I'm genuinely conflicted by this one. On one hand its gots got a sense of humour that in places is genuinely funny. The story, of a pair of hapless blokes going on a date with a pair of female serial killers who intend on using them as part of an occult rituals, is a decent one.
However the blokey lads mag humour feels a little worn with it not being the 90's and all. The main problem I had was a scene where a character that, for the rest of the film before and after is supposed to be seen as a mainly nice bloke, spikes the girls drinks. The film seems intent on playing this as a silly joke but its totally f**** up and really threw me out of the film. Certainly if you know someone who has been drug raped it might not be a wise idea to take them.

Leatherface

If you can disregard the film being a Texas chainsaw massacre film, then there is probably a fun road movie horror to be found here. Unfortunately its hard to divorce the two so it ends up feeling somewhat sub-par.
Partly it feels like a film that's been heavily tampered with. There's a feeling I had throughout that a better film exists somewhere but that the studios had zero confidence in it. Another problem is that the transformation of the seeming normal Sawyer boy into leatherface does not feel at all plausible as a fan of the 74' classic. There's an R-rating at the end which suggests there may be an unrated version. Its gory as it is but it would be interesting to see how more extreme it could get. Its better than part 4 and that 3D abomination. However The beginning which was the prequel to the remake (confusing!) was a better origin story. If you check it out, listen to the character names. It seems the writers were intent on creating some continuity between the four original saw films.

Fake Blood

What begins as a documentary on screen violence, moves into darker territory when they begin to look at interviewing people with real life experiences of violence. It morphs into a true crime documentary before the film-makers find themselves becoming drawn into the story.
A genuinely interesting mix of fact and fiction, the documentary draws on a lot of real life incidents to the point where its an actual debate over how much is real and how much is fake.

The Bride

A Russian attempt at doing something like insidious. A young Russian bride goes to visit her husbands family and discovers they are harbouring a dark secret. Its...ok. It does its job well enough but it suffers from a little of the carnival ride feel of the films its riffing on. It's still worth a look thanks to great set design and some nice moments but its no classic.
Old 11th October 2017, 12:57 PM
Cult Addict

The Psychic (seven notes in black) - Lucio Fulci

the-psychic-1977.jpg

Another Fulci i hadn't seen before.

Like the other Fulci films i reviewed the other day this also shows what a decent little director he was when he wasn't wallowing in gore.

This little number is about a woman who has Psychic visions that lead her into a mystery surrounding the death of a young woman who died in the house she is going to renovate, leading her to discovering a corpse that has been interred in the walls of the house.
But all is not as it seems and she finds there is more to her visions than she originally thought.

MV5BNDFkNzAwNTctZDMzZC00ZDg1LThmZDktYzA4ZTU0ZmQ3ZWMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_.jpg
Interior decorating Fulci style.

i enjoyed this and it once again shows Fulci didn't always have to rely on gore to make a decent film. This is well shot and constructed and the storyline was very linear and resolved itself in a satisfying way.

The film begins with a clifftop suicide that recalls 'don't torture a duckling' with it's face smashing into a cliff dummy descent, but that's about the goriest scene in the film.

I watched this on youtube due to the high cost of the dvd these days, so the picture quality wasn't amazing.

The film does drag a little in the middle but makes up for it with a tense finale and the theme tune is great. It's obvious that he was into Poe as this plays with the themes of 'The Black cat' and he would make a film with the same title a few years later.

So a decent enough Giallo film that is recommended and should be more widely available, i'm sure seeing a better quality version would bump the rating up slightly.

7/10

vlcsnap-2009-10-04-11h00m26s129.jpg

"The eyes!!"

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!