Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181802Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2017, 07:13 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Egg all over my face courtesy of Photobucket ! Let me try that post again !

I had the good fortune of catching the great Japanese Ghost story anthology Kwaidan recently (a rare pleasure these days with a two year old daughter demanding every ounce of attention), and I couldn't help but wonder during the The Woman of the Snow episode if dark fantasy artist Michael Whelan was influenced by the film's set design ? The backdrop of the eye instantly reminded me of Whelan's 1982 painting Lovecraft's Nightmare, partly used for the cover of H.P. Lovecraft anthology The Tomb and Other Tales, and perhaps more famously known as the cover of Obituary's 1990 death metal classic Cause of Death...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kwaidan-obituary (1).jpg (93.6 KB, 6 views)
Old 12th October 2017, 07:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default Naked Massacre Part 3

Charming image there Wes.

Well.... the ST was far too high in the mix. Didn't notice this in the dvd-r which was faded but slightly clearer. Takes me back to when I got my first uncut (well....) THBTC. By gum it was dark now
Wes, keirarts and Frankie Teardrop like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th October 2017, 07:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Not long finished Ridley Scott's Robin Hood, watched in about 10 segments... Actually not a bad film, far superior to the terrible Gladiator and more fun than the dry history lecture that was Kingdom of Heaven. I couldn't help but feel a little sad that Scott chose to ape the beach landing from Saving Private Ryan, and a little silly it is too with flying arrows standing in for German machines guns. I must say I did miss the occult ambiance of HTV's Robin of Sherwood series but was glad I stayed the course for the end credits - easily the best part of the film, the titles overlaid against quite beautiful animation...

Old 12th October 2017, 07:53 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Pulse (Kairo) (2001)

70/100
Old 12th October 2017, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Now, as a palate cleanser

The only other sax solo from the 80s worth caring about ....

The Long Good Friday (1980, John Mackenzie)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 12th October 2017, 08:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Gerald's Game (2017)

66/100
Old 12th October 2017, 09:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A visually stunning and beautifully shot film, the ultra 4k version is absolutely stunning in picture detail and colour and is a really show case for your 4k TV and player. The film isn't without flaws but so much fun you soon forgot them and sit back and enjoy the ride. 8.5/10
Old 12th October 2017, 09:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

A visually stunning and beautifully shot film, the ultra 4k version is absolutely stunning in picture detail and colour and is a really show case for your 4k TV and player. The film isn't without flaws but so much fun you soon forgot them and sit back and enjoy the ride. 8.5/10
How the hell do you forget Chris Tucker? Practically ruins the film. Screechy little bastard!
Old 12th October 2017, 09:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
How the hell do you forget Chris Tucker? Practically ruins the film. Screechy little bastard!
I try not to think of him and he's really not in it that much, but he is annoying as hell when you see him( the mute button was invented for him) but Gary Oldman more than makes up for him.

Always thought he was supposed to be annoying but more than likely just Tucker.

Originally the character was supposed to be played by Prince, if this is Tucker take on Prince he should of been sued for every penny he had.

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th October 2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12th October 2017, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Public Enemy (1931)

Classic Hollywood crime drama starring James Cagney which tells how a young hoodlum took over the streets of New York during prohibition.

Pacy and fun with snappy quick fire dialogue from the irrepressible Cagney. Jean Harlow co-stars but isn't in it all that much. Whilst it's full of memorable and indeed shocking scenes it's one of those films with an unforgettable finale as the dead crime lord is returned to his family trussed and bandaged, mummy like, as his brother answers the door. Very grim.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg publicenemy2.jpg (59.1 KB, 7 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!