Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th March 2018, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Games night

A couple who love quizzes games etc , meet in a pub quiz get together marry and then organise regular games night with friends . but always try to put of their next door neighbour cop. Along comes his brother who ups the comp by organising a murder mystery suspense night , only for someone to break in and kidnap him for real but everyone thinks its part of the act, the film is different entertaining with a few twist and turns towards the end, this has got to be one of the most entertaining films I've highly enjoyed in such a long time , and not just enjoyed I seriously cannot remember the last film I actually laughed at in such a long long time, and just for that alone it deserves 4 and half out of five enjoyed so much I'm tempted to go watch again, one of the best comedies in years that is actually genuinely funny.
And the scene with dog in the copper house is highly amusing. And no its not rude or vulgar .
Old 7th March 2018, 10:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Now watching The Crazies in order to cheer myself up after the Franco film

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th March 2018, 10:37 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Now watching The Crazies in order to cheer myself up after the Franco film
The only way to cheer yourself up having watched a Franco film is another Franco film.
Old 8th March 2018, 06:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist

All the Money in the World (2017)

Ridley Scott IS a great filmmaker. However, he only shows off his greatness when he's working with a screenplay worthy of his virtuoso filmmaking skills. Ever since the phenomenal one-two punch of Alien and Blade Runner, he flirts with brilliance, and often sinks into mediocrity. Give him a great script, he’ll make something like Gladiator, give him a bad one, he’ll make Alien: Covenant. Although in the latter case, even if the film isn’t good, Scott’s dynamic directorial style will always be the best thing about it, as at least we’ll be treated to a visual feast of his cinematic prowess. All the Money in the World definitely falls into the former category, as it’s excellent stuff.

It is nothing short of amazing for the director to re-shoot all of disgraced Kevin Spacey’s scenes on such a tight schedule, replacing him with his actual first choice of actor for the role of John Paul Getty Sr - Christopher Plummer. Ridley Scott re-shot all of this footage from November 20th, for the release date of Christmas Day. It is testament to his immense talent and hard work that these scenes turned out as well as they did working under such pressure, and Plummer’s part is no small supporting role. The actor also gives a powerful performance that was actually worthy of the Oscar nomination. His portrayal of an extremely unlikable human being is compelling, which really sticks it to Spacey, and deservedly so. Michelle Williams and Mark Wahlberg are also great in an engrossing tale that is expertly told.

In addition, I can’t help thinking Scott was inspired by Euro cult poliziotteschi films here, possibly by the work of Umberto Lenzi, as the influences can be seen all throughout the Italy set part of the story. If you’re a fan of this 70’s action crime sub-genre, then this is the nearest you’re going to get to a modern mainstream revival.

Highly recommended.

**** out of *****

In-depth analysis on horror, exploitation, and other shocking cinema @ Cinematic Shocks

Last edited by Cinematic Shocks; 8th March 2018 at 06:32 AM.
Old 8th March 2018, 10:13 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Bloodsucker Leads the Dance (1975)

In Ireland in 1902, Count Marnak invites a troupe of actors to perform at his island castle. He is stunned by how much Evelyn, the lead actress, resembles his dead wife. They begin an affair, but suddenly one by one, the inhabitants of the castle are turning up decapitated. The count fears that an old family curse is responsible for the grisly slayings. Meanwhile house maid Femi Benussi skulks about cursing all and sundry in seething jealousy.

The finale is truly bizarre and makes no sense whatsoever as the concluding twenty five minutes are punctuated by off screen beheadings of dubious realism. However in the hour leading up the film is full of nonsensical dialogue such as "It wasn't until i was a teenager that the count noticed me", as well as black and white stock footage of the sea being integrated at odd moments into the frequent scenes of sexy frolicking. It should be noted the film is full of copious nudity, perhaps in the hope the viewer won't notice the film has minimal plot during the first fifty minutes. Also spare a thought for poor old Giacomo Rossi-Stuart. A fine actor dubbed by a voice seemingly at least twenty years his senior.

As with many of these Italian Gothics the film works far better as a whole than attempting to weigh it's pros and cons and proves a deliriously freaky ninety minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bloodsucker-leads-the-dance-4.jpg (38.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 8th March 2018, 05:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Bloodsucker ... can't wait to get this Black House release!!!
keirarts likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 8th March 2018, 07:51 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Watching this.

keirarts likes this.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:28 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Brotherhood 2016

Sam Peel is trying to move on with his life with his family but he realises that there are people out there who haven't forgot his past and builds up a crew in order to survive.

This was a decent final part in the hood trilogy that starts off a few years after Adulthood, but still packs a few kicks and punches.

Noel Clarke reprises his role as writer, director and star, it has fewer London gang style speech which does slowly come back and still comes with its fair share of comedy and violence with a final confrontational ending.

Only downside to this film I felt like it was rushed in a few places but it is a raw unique film and good to watch. 8 out of 10.
Old 8th March 2018, 09:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Brotherhood 2016

Sam Peel is trying to move on with his life with his family but he realises that there are people out there who haven't forgot his past and builds up a crew in order to survive.

This was a decent final part in the hood trilogy that starts off a few years after Adulthood, but still packs a few kicks and punches.

Noel Clarke reprises his role as writer, director and star, it has fewer London gang style speech which does slowly come back and still comes with its fair share of comedy and violence with a final confrontational ending.

Only downside to this film I felt like it was rushed in a few places but it is a raw unique film and good to watch. 8 out of 10.
I enjoyed the trilogy and 3 films are highly recommended
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 8th March 2018, 10:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
I enjoyed the trilogy and 3 films are highly recommended
To be honest I didn't think I would enjoy them for the realism of how they portray gangs but I agree with you gag recommended for good viewing

Like this? Share it using the links below!