Like Tree180914Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31st December 2018, 01:40 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, there were forty two to start with.

This is what is still in the drawer. Plus i've about fifty other horror films to watch as well. (The fifth one is Witchhammer).

You've never seen The Haunting?!

Not to sway you in any way, but Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde is great - one of my favourite Hammer films. Oh, and also get The Haunting watched!

Some other good stuff awaiting you there too.
Old 31st December 2018, 01:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
You've never seen The Haunting?!

Not to sway you in any way, but Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde is great - one of my favourite Hammer films. Oh, and also get The Haunting watched!

Some other good stuff awaiting you there too.
Ha,ha... Sorry, course i've seen The Haunting and Sister Hyde. It was just because i got them on dual format and thought they might be useful if i went on a run of utter shite as happened last year. I haven't seen any of the others in the drawer though.

I've also watched To the Devil a Daughter, Prince of Darkness, The Fog and Blood from the Mummy's Tomb this Decemberdike as they were all new dual format purchases to replace other ones.
Old 31st December 2018, 01:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spoilt for choice there D!!

Beyond The Door (1974)

A rather loony film. Ostensibly an Exorcist ripoff, I chose instead to treat it like a Mike Leigh film . What fun! Are all Italian child actors dubbed to be annoying then? As much as Frezza gets stick , the pair in this are prime candidates for abuse imho. De-ranged antics abound when Mom gets cursed/landed with an unusual task ahem. More fun than The Antichrist from the same year ... just .

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 31st December 2018, 01:52 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Ha,ha... Course i've seen The Haunting and Sister Hyde. It was just because i got them on dual format and thought they might be useful if i went on a run of utter shite as happened last year.

I've also watched To the Devil a Daughter, Prince of Darkness, The Fog and Blood from the Mummy's Tomb this Decemberdike as they were all new dual format purchases to replace other ones.
Phew, I was panicking there for a minute.

I assumed everything in your drawer would be 'new to you' as per in prior years. I suppose it's good to have some back-ups. I'm really looking forward to watching Incident in a Ghostland myself, as it sounds really interesting. One for next year hopefully.

Advance warning on We Are the Flesh; I really want to read your thoughts on this, but anticipate that you will loathe it (arty-farty) - I am nothing if not sadistic. For the record: I liked it. I know I'm probably in the minority on this.
Old 31st December 2018, 02:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Island of terror.

A reclusive scientist is doing research on a remote island that goes wrong and ends up unleashing a army of weird creatures that look like turtles with antennas that go on the rampage devouring everyones bones.

This could have been one seriously rubbish film indeed as the creatures look absolutely hilarious , but director Terence fisher manages as usual to keep things running along nicely that make for a highly entertaining movie.
it is actually surprisingly suspenseful and extremely well acted too, with the usual superb performance from the great Mr Peter Cushing, who is quite witty in this one.

Not exactly a classic of the genre, but still an enjoyable watch that held my attention throughout and which I rate similary to The Blood Beast Terror.
so will give it a respectable 72 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 500px-island5.jpg (61.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 31st December 2018, 02:14 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Advance warning on We Are the Flesh; I really want to read your thoughts on this, but anticipate that you will loathe it (arty-farty) - I am nothing if not sadistic. For the record: I liked it. I know I'm probably in the minority on this.
I picked this up to watch last night then read the back cover blurb and put it back.
Old 31st December 2018, 02:16 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
I picked this up to watch last night then read the back cover blurb and put it back.
DO IT! Let the art-house vibes wash over you...

[then take an optional bath to remove all trace of them from your being].
Old 31st December 2018, 02:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
DO IT! Let the art-house vibes wash over you...

[then take an optional bath to remove all trace of them from your being].
I'll definitely watch it this year.

Yes, it was in last years drawer as well and ignored.
Old 31st December 2018, 02:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default Decemberdike

December 30th (2)

Caltiki, the Immortal Monster (1959)

Basically this is Riccardo Freda's version of Hammer classic X the Unknown (1956). Part sci-fi, part horror, this is actually a bit of a mess until a frantic last half hour which makes the film for me and it ends up a lot of gloopy fun.

I watched the full aperture version of the film which is on the disc as an extra. Why, well basically because Mario Bava expert Tim Lucas says in the booklet that it's the best way to appreciate second unit director Mario Bava's work in the effects department as all his scenes were shot open matte so watching in 1:33:1 allows you to watch it as filmed by Bava with his effects work totally uncut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71o2Beon7gL._SY445_.jpg (41.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 31st December 2018, 06:15 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Very enjoyable and a lot of fun, as mentioned elsewhere a great 80s feel to the movie, this is what the transformers films should of been like ,lots of nice little nods to the cartoon and G1 toys. 8/10

Watched this a few weeks ago.

What's the world coming too first a good transformers movie and now an excellent Dc film that doesn't have crap CGI effects, the underwater scenes are stunning and the film shows just how powerful Aquaman is. Jason Momoa is a great aquaman and the film flew by and seemed less than the two and half runtime. If DC/Warner can continue this , marvel might have a fight on there hands. Think the quality of film and the money it's taking DC/Warner must release they need to get rid of Snyder and employ James Wan full time. 8.5/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!