Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181803Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th May 2019, 07:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Berserk (1967, UK)

Roll Up,Roll Up and see Joan Crawfords legs..not sure how old Crawford was when she made this film,but she still had a great pair of legs and is not shy in getting them out in this film either..Joan Crawford is Monica Rivers the owner of a good old fashioned big top circus,with elephants not trampling on young women or lions not attacking there trainers,(even though they probably deserved it)..This is basically a who dunnit set in a circus,obviously this is riffing on Circus of Horrors (1960) but has a far more interesting cast of characters and actors.We have Michael Gough,Robert Hardy and the truly over the top Diana Dors as Matilda,who manages to have a cat fight and a slanging match with Crawfords strong willed ring mistress..There is also and incredibly young looking Judy Geeson as Crawfords daughter and a youngish looking Philip Madoc as Lazlo..Berserk is a very entertaining British horror flick that does tend to lose it way half way through,and we even get a novelty song by three of the characters,Golda Casimir as Bearded Lady
Ted Lune as Skeleton Man and Milton Reid as the Strong Man,you will instantly recognise Milton Reid who has been in everything from The Camp on Blood Island (1958) to The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) and an episode of The Goodies,in a rather policically incorrect but funny spoof advert..While not Crawfords best,it surely better than Trog (1970) and marginally more entertaining than Circus of Horrors...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg berserk_poster_02.jpg (98.4 KB, 3 views)

Old 12th May 2019, 09:08 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hercules and the circle of fire.

When Hera steals fire from Prometheus, it's up to Hercules to recover it so mankind can once again use fire, on his journey as well as battling Heras minions, he also meets the woman who becomes his wife and has to confront Zeus his farther. 7/10

Hercules and the underworld.

Hercules is approached by a women to save her village, once there be finds out it's a portal to the underworld , Hercules is temporarily driven mad and throws himself in to the portal to the underworld. Back at home his wife commits suicide believe she was responsible for Hercules death. When Hercules finds out his wife is dead he , Hades says he will let is wife return to the land of the living if he retrieves Cerberus who is on the loose and causing havoc in the underworld. 7/10

The Long Hair of death.

Years after a woman is wrongly burned as a witch and her sister raped and killed , the child of the so called witch whom was raised by the people that murderer her mother starts to experience strange things more so when a woman turns up who looks like her mothers sister whom sets her sites on the girls husband and appears that both want to kill her, but are things as they seem. Nice atmosphere gothic horror dealing with the themes of madness and revenge . Also a big plus it has the hauntingly beautiful Barbara Steele. 7.5/10

Last edited by trebor8273; 12th May 2019 at 10:53 PM.
Old 13th May 2019, 12:20 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Midnight Express 1978.

Billy Hayes, an american vacationing in Turkey plans to go home with two kilos of hash, thinking he has got away with it at customs, pre-boarding the plane he is searched and arrested, and endures the Turkish prison sentence.

Based on the true story written by Billy Hayes is a insight into the mistake he made, the horror of the prison, the help of family and the help of the fellow prisoners and his intentions of escape. Brad Davis plays Billy brilliantly, his mannerisms as a drug smuggler is well thought out as probably anyone would be thinking they can get away with it. John Hurt plays Max the old eccentric drug user who seems to be like a father figure to some and helps him believe that an escape is possible if planned out well. Randy Quaid as Jimmy a fellow prisoner and Swede Enrich played by Norbert Weisser. Paul .L. Smith plays Hamidou. the chief prison warden who likes to hand out the punishment is his way especially with the soles of the feet.

Screenplay was written by Oliver Stone and directed by Alan Parker, some things were tweaked and changed from the novel and part of the ending but both can bring joy and a tear to your eye, even with the sound of a heartbeat can cause some tense moments. Gorgio Moroder provides a great background score for the film that's very haunting and memorable. 8 out of 10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midnight express.jpg (13.7 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th May 2019, 01:40 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Midnight Hour 1985.

Teenagers at the town of Pitchford Cove unwittingly awake the dead, can they return the town to its peaceful state?

This is one of those horror comedy type films that seemed to be targeted for younger audiences, for adults its a cheesy flick from the 80s era with people that had wild dress sense, and the appearance of werewolves, vampires and undead ghouls. Dick Van Patten plays the town's dentist who we see in a true form on how people suffer dentophobia and a jive talking LeVar Burton. 6 out of 10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Midnight hoour.jpg (86.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 13th May 2019, 01:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Church (La chiesa, aka Demons 3) (1989, Italy)

I have to say I have watched this film quite a few times over the past few years and even once on the big screen,but I have to say that I have never really connected with this film as I did with Soavis film Stage Fright (1987) which I thoroughly enjoyed and re-watch on numerous occasions,I'm not sure if its the gore or Giovanni Lombardo Radice in tights or the fact that the killer wears an owl head..Anyhow The Church I'm afraid all ways leave me cold..It never really gets going as far as I'm concerned and feels like it never knows in which direction it wants to go in..the fact that this was supposed to of been Demons 3 is a mystery to me as it has none of the high octane demonic chase scenes we come to expect or even the mad gore scenes, I mean where was the comedy glove puppet exploding alien style from someone's chest...Looks wise it is marvellously shot I have to say, and the soundtrack by Keith Emerson, composer Philip Glass, and the band Goblin are pretty impressive also. But none of the characters was particularly engaging and you kind of wanted someone to come tear-assing through the church on a motorbike wielding a samurai sword lobbing peoples heads off...I will say the caretaker committing suicide by jackhammer was mighty impressive so kudos to that..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg church_poster_01.jpg (103.1 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Inspector Abberline; 13th May 2019 at 07:16 PM.
Old 13th May 2019, 06:06 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Blood beat(1983)

Ted and his wife and his sister, go to visit his family at Christmas in the woods. and his wife gets a creepy vibe or something off his mother as theyre both psychic.
and his wife Sarah finds a trunk in the bedroom that has a samurai outfit in it, but it vanishes afterwards.
then she gets possessed and the samurai comes to life and goes on a killing rampage with a bow and arrow and sword.

i have to say that this was a bit of a confusing mess. something about a Japanese warrior that had to do with WW2 and has come back for revenge.
But very poorly acted, with atrocious sound, and laughable special effects.
But i did like the idea of a samurai warrior ghost on a killing spree. just a shame it wasn't more entertaining and straight forward. 59 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blood Beat 1983 movie pic1.jpg (53.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 13th May 2019, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hound Of The Baskervilles 1959.

Sir Henry believes he is being threatened by a family curse, seeks help from Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson to investigate the legend of the mysterious hound.

This version was a brilliant to watch, with the Hammer dark gothic style to it with mystery intrigue to it brought on by great acting from Christopher Lee playing Sir Henry Baskerville and Peter Cushing Playing Holmes, who both are usually against each other in films, was a pleasure seeing them together as non enemies. Jack Asher was the cinematographer who captured the errie moors perfectly and directed by Hammer favourite Terence Fisher. One worth a watch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoound.jpg (35.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 13th May 2019, 07:27 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Hound Of The Baskervilles 1959.

Sir Henry believes he is being threatened by a family curse, seeks help from Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson to investigate the legend of the mysterious hound.

This version was a brilliant to watch, with the Hammer dark gothic style to it with mystery intrigue to it brought on by great acting from Christopher Lee playing Sir Henry Baskerville and Peter Cushing Playing Holmes, who both are usually against each other in films, was a pleasure seeing them together as non enemies. Jack Asher was the cinematographer who captured the errie moors perfectly and directed by Hammer favourite Terence Fisher. One worth a watch
One of my favourite performances from Sir Christopher Lee.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 13th May 2019, 08:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Condemned to Live.(1935)

There have been a number of killings in a small village believed to be the work of animals , the local doctor soon begins to believe the killings have been done by some sort of vampire creature, as he continues his investigations the he begins to worry he may be the creature. Not hard to see this was trying to cash in on the popularity of the universal monster movies. 5/10

The Murder Mansion. (1972)

A group of travellers are stranded at a fog bound mansion next a eerie cemetery. Soon the travellers are attack by creatures from the graveyard. Most of the movie is the guests bitching and moaning about there various problems it's not until the last 30 minutes of so that the undead arrive or are they? 5/10

Now watching Metamorphosis(1990).
Old 13th May 2019, 10:06 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post

The Murder Mansion. (1972)

A group of travellers are stranded at a fog bound mansion next a eerie cemetery. Soon the travellers are attack by creatures from the graveyard. Most of the movie is the guests bitching and moaning about there various problems it's not until the last 30 minutes of so that the undead arrive or are they? 5/10

Now watching Metamorphosis(1990).
Is your copy of this from a MC box set?

I have a public domain version of the film that looks like shit.

Like this? Share it using the links below!