Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181813Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st March 2020, 02:17 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Girl On The Third Floor. 2019.

A man with a past tries to move on, buys a house for his new family, during renovations comes across a secret floor and the secrets of the house appear.

From the trailer this looked good and entertaining, but was left at a let down. It does have the element of a supernatural haunting mixed with psychological thriller with one or two gore scenes but that's all. It's not a fast paced movie and tends to drag on a bit. The actors do try their best but seemed weighed down and wooden. Not one I would recommend but different people may have a different view on the film.

712toLRXyqL._RI_.jpg
Old 1st March 2020, 02:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Girl On The Third Floor. 2019.

A man with a past tries to move on, buys a house for his new family, during renovations comes across a secret floor and the secrets of the house appear.

From the trailer this looked good and entertaining, but was left at a let down. It does have the element of a supernatural haunting mixed with psychological thriller with one or two gore scenes but that's all. It's not a fast paced movie and tends to drag on a bit. The actors do try their best but seemed weighed down and wooden. Not one I would recommend but different people may have a different view on the film.

Attachment 222893

I watched it the other day after seeing a clickbait article on Facebook that claimed it was the scariest film ever! Only thing scary about it is the fact people keep paying wrestlers to act, absolute shower of shite!
I only gave it 2 out of 5 on Letterboxd because of the special fx, created by Dan Martin from the Arrow Video podcast
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st March 2020, 03:24 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Phantom of the Opera (1989)

A Cannon / Harry Allan Towers production of Gaston Leroux's classic bore fest that is rich in Gothic atmosphere (Slightly let down by a tv style production) but lacking in suspense.

A starring vehicle for Robert Englund, who appears to be still wearing his Krueger make up throughout, this is by far the goriest and most exploitative version as Englund plays the part in a way that gathers no sympathy from the viewer as he's basically just another masked killer on the loose. I must admit the scenes where he carefully cuts away his dead skin mask are quite grueling and more reminiscent of Leatherface than any operatic phantom.

The end result is as much a gory Jack the Ripper film as it is Phantom of the Opera, but in my opinion this is no bad thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 714ikUO50-L._AC_SY500_.jpg (33.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 1st March 2020, 03:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Phantom of the Opera (1989)

A Cannon / Harry Allan Towers production of Gaston Leroux's classic bore fest that is rich in Gothic atmosphere (Slightly let down by a tv style production) but lacking in suspense.

A starring vehicle for Robert Englund, who appears to be still wearing his Krueger make up throughout, this is by far the goriest and most exploitative version as Englund plays the part in a way that gathers no sympathy from the viewer as he's basically just another masked killer on the loose. I must admit the scenes where he carefully cuts away his dead skin mask are quite grueling and more reminiscent of Leatherface than any operatic phantom.

The end result is as much a gory Jack the Ripper film as it is Phantom of the Opera, but in my opinion this is no bad thing.
This is my second favourite version of the novel after the Lon Chaney film
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 1st March 2020, 03:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Only thing scary about it is the fact people keep paying wrestlers to act, absolute shower of shite!
I read the other day that Dwayne Johnson is the highest paid actor in Hollywood. Couldn't believe it. Sure, he's ok and the best of the ex-wrestler crowd (except Rowdy Roddy Piper of course!) but highest paid? Yikes.
Old 1st March 2020, 04:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
I read the other day that Dwayne Johnson is the highest paid actor in Hollywood. Couldn't believe it. Sure, he's ok and the best of the ex-wrestler crowd (except Rowdy Roddy Piper of course!) but highest paid? Yikes.
Mainly due to the Fast and Furious production line but also because he makes films constantly like Jumanji and Fighting With My Family. He had at least three films in cinemas last year as well as being producer on all of them.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 1st March 2020, 06:30 PM
Cult Veteran

Watched the new disc of The House By The Cemetery, aka Catriona MacColl shouts "Bob? Anne? Bob?!!!" for an hour lol. It looks and sounds amazing, when Norman stabs Freudstein and then twists the knife it's honestly one of the most disgusting things I've seen haha. I know that it's expensive but it's worth it.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st March 2020, 07:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Storm Of The Century. Part 2

At the end of the first part we had two suicides controlled by the mysterious Andre Linoge. Both dead men leaving the same message "give me what I want and I will go away" , Linoge begins to exert his powers and more deaths follow, tempers are short with deaths and the townsfolk are on edge, Linoge escapes and not long after the townsfolk all share the same dream in which a news report says that all the people of this village have disappeared , the dream then jumps to the people walking in a storm and walking of the end of a pier , lemming like to there deaths, awakened from this terrible nightmare the townsfolk , witness the lighthouse being destroyed by the storm , while this is happening , people start disappearing . The episode ends with the town's constable and store owner , being lead away by the voice of Linoge who we have found out is Legion (My name is Legion, for we are many.) End of part 2

Now watching

Old 1st March 2020, 08:52 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Watched the new disc of The House By The Cemetery, aka Catriona MacColl shouts "Bob? Anne? Bob?!!!" for an hour lol. It looks and sounds amazing, when Norman stabs Freudstein and then twists the knife it's honestly one of the most disgusting things I've seen haha. I know that it's expensive but it's worth it.
So listening to that excruciating little twat in crystal clarity is amazing, how?
trebor8273 and Boo Radley like this.
Old 2nd March 2020, 01:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Invisible Woman (1940)

A remarkably average film with no connection to the Rains and Price films.

Notable only for being one of the final roles of the great John Barrymore, The Invisible Woman has no dramatic tension and feels more like a comedy than anything remotely Universal monster-ish.

Even the invisible effects are sloppy in comparison with what came previous.

Like this? Share it using the links below!