Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181803Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th April 2020, 05:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Gremloids (aka Hyperspace). 1984.

Due to a small navigation error, Lord buckethead lands on Earth instead of another planet far far away and mistakes a girl as a princess who he searching for.

Star Wars parody made 3 years before Mel Brooks made Spaceballs, This is very low budget and remember it being funny when i was young, after re-watching i thought what was funny about it or has Spaceballs corrupted my mind. The acting isn't great, but not crap, there is some memorable lines that still made me laugh, Lord Buckethead appearance was always comical and stupid. This is on the list of so bad it's good.

Gremloids.jpg
Old 17th April 2020, 07:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Evil Below. 1989.

A down on his luck sea captain searches for treasure in a old Spanish galleon that's alleged to be cursed.

Aside from being listed as a horror...this isn't a horror, from the start there is a killing and small blood shown that's it. This is more action and maybe underwater adventure. There is a few nightmare sequences that seem to lead to nowhere and what people were screaming at or did i miss something?? There seems to be a few flaws and yeah ok whatever moments, like the guy vaulting over a balcony landing on his hip and somehow gets up and runs away without a limp or not even a grump. Waste of time.

The Evil Below.jpg
Old 17th April 2020, 12:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Death Screams (aka House Of Death). 1982.

Teens are stalked and killed by a maniac while the small carnival is in town.

This was by no means a great slasher film, it could have had potential but seemed rushed from the first five minutes and even at the end you kind of figure who the killer was and most of the killings is done near towards the end and had some good decent effects. I will admit it took a few watches to get into the film to understand, and seemed more watchable. Surprisingly the odd ball sheriff in this seems more on the ball even though he takes his time in to the police work but knows when young kids are looking at a copy of Hustle. Keep a open mind with this one.

House of death.jpg
Old 17th April 2020, 09:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Necessary Roughness, Nightmare Beach & Running Scared (2005)

Necessary Roughness

Scott Bakula stars as a American Football Quarterback who enrolls as a College Freshman so he can be on a team of misfits. If you like your sport movies with the usual clichés then this is for you.

Nightmare Beach

A serial killer is stalking victims during Spring Break. Not a bad film for it's genre. Apparently Umberto Lenzi directed this however he is not mentioned during the credits.

Running Scared (2005)
Paul Walker stars as a member of a criminal gang who is charged with disposing of a gun but doesn't however it is used in another shooting and therefore goes missing along with a boy, so Walker has to find them both before other gangsters. Slightly mad film which has one of the most craziest plot diversions I've seen. It's entertaining however.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nr.jpg (12.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg nb.jpg (11.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg rs.jpg (8.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 17th April 2020, 10:23 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Penetration Angst (2003)

As with all the Fiona Horsey films i have that are directed by Wolfgang Buld, Penetration Angst is micro budgeted, however here the budget has been wisely put to use with some nice location work in the capital and also on the Isle of Wight as well as some genuinely expansive ideas.

The film has a remarkable plot that you will never, ever guess where it leads, and indeed the path is a strange and pretty grungy one involving mutant sex, conjoined twins and camper vans.

There's a lo-fi twistedness that doesn't really hold together yet the never shy Horsey and the sheer bizarreness of it all makes you cheer loudly for warped indie cinema.

The film has an awesome soundtrack including several Tiamat songs, Lacuna Coil, Flowing Tears and Moonspell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 510EQQMDPTL._SY445_.jpg (28.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 18th April 2020, 08:54 AM
Cult Acolyte

Phse IV -Poster 04.jpg
PHASE IV (1974)

After an event out in space, ants generally at war with other species, join together. Strange structures are found in the desert.
Scientists work in a dome out in the desert to try to find out what is happening and find themselves under siege by the intelligent creatures..

A great piece of sci-fi entertainment.
The close up filming and the actions of the ants are just incredible.

Old 18th April 2020, 11:30 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default Hot Dog... The Movie (1984)

Hot Dog... The Movie (1984)
Some skiing,some tits and a smidgen of xenophobia,( but it's aimed at the Germans so that's ok),the 80s,when sexism and racism were normal....

MV5BMDk2Yjg0NjUtMGU5NS00MjVmLWFlZDQtN2JiYmQ4Yzg3OWQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_UY1200_CR85.jpg

Old 18th April 2020, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Flashdance (1983, Adrian Lyne)

What a feeling ..... of bewilderment and revulsion if I'm brutally honest. I am in half a mind to rewatch it ... just to be sure of what I witnessed.
A young girl struggles to make it on her own terms in a man's world. and it is a man's world this. Made by Mr surface sheen himself with the aid of a drug crazed pervert and Jerry Bruckheimer.
Like an endless stream of awful music videos strung together with dialogue that makes The Room seem Tarkovskyian in comparison
I'm sure I heard them say she was 18? So the fact that she's an old hand at dancing in some bar seems to just be a thing, legality be damned. That's cocaine for you though, it makes you seem invincible cough. In fact the whole thing screams cocaine. From the jittery, genre jumping jamboree of the ST to the epilepsy inducing "pierrot" sequence (ouch), it's redolent of the essentially empty experience of taking cocaine ahem.
Yet again, this was successful? Times have changed as female emancipation is ... not an issue here. The so called plot thread which I'm sure was meant to be "romantic", just came of as disturbingly reminiscent of some sexual harrassment story.
Horrible horrible horrible. Take it away

Cats

The new The Apple?? give it ten years. Otherwise, a real furball. Screaming "Ulthar!" ... didn't help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F.jpg (33.4 KB, 4 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th April 2020, 07:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Deadtime Stories. 1986.

A young boy is told a trio of stories by his uncle based on fairy tales.

1. A fisherman sells his son to two sisters who are witches and try to resurrect their third sister.

2. Rachel has to collect her grandmother's medication, there is a mix up and the person who has her gran's medication turns into a werewolf.

3. Three criminals team up with a girl called Goldi Lox.

I didn't have high hopes for this one as it seemed to be a total horror parody with more laughs than horror,there was some good effects, even included a disembodied hand that seems to appear in a lot of anthology movies. the acting wasn't great but delivers some good in joke moments. The tales do have a twist in them that can be predictable, it's good for it's laughs.

Deadtime-Stories-Blu-ray-620-02.jpg
Old 18th April 2020, 09:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Indiana Jones And The Templw Of Doom, Johnny Be Good, Dig! & The Punisher (1989)

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom

This was one of those films I never got round to see and to be honest, I got bored, it seemed forever to get to the cult scenes and to be honest I was disappointed by this. It's definitely one of those, I would have enjoyed it better if I had seen it years ago.

Johnny Be Good

Antony Michael Hall stars as a high school American Football player who is sought after by all the major colleges and we see all the negotiation tactics involved. Robert Downey JR and Uma Thurman co-star (I'm guessing that if this gets a blu ray release, they will be front and center of the cover) it's a very enjoyable film and certainly one that makes you wonder if all these negotiation tactics actually go on.

Dig!

Documentary on The Dandy Warhols and The Brian Johnstown Massacre which focuses on how one band were trying to make a career out of music and the self-destruction either willingly or unintentional. As I am a fan of The Dandy Warhols, I found this quite fascinating.

The Punisher (1989)

This is the Dolph Lundgren version and it's still entertaining after all these years. May give the Thomas Jane version a go as the story changed for the most part.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ijattod.jpg (13.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg jbg.jpg (12.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg d.jpg (10.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg p.jpg (14.4 KB, 4 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!