All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180855Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th October 2022, 05:24 PM
Cult Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Seven

Now we're talking, one of my favorite movies and one that I wished I saw at the Cinema (Just to see the audience reactions) sees Detectives played by Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman investigate a Serial Killer using the 7 Deadly Sins as inspiration.

What made this a novel Film experience was that this was the first Film I saw that never showed the actual killings (Except for Wrath) and just showed the aftermath. This also is intelligent along with some shocks and surprises (Sloth and Envy)

That ending, might be one of my favorites.
I saw this at the cinema when it was first released, and reviewed it for a local newspaper I was working on (I was at college at the time)

My review ended: 'When I left the cinema at the end of the film, I was uncertain about what to do. Should I go to the local pub, and have a stiff drink? Should I go straight home, and have a hot shower to wash the grime away? Or should I turn around and go straight back in to watch it again?'

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 4th October 2022, 05:44 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
I saw this at the cinema when it was first released, and reviewed it for a local newspaper I was working on (I was at college at the time)

My review ended: 'When I left the cinema at the end of the film, I was uncertain about what to do. Should I go to the local pub, and have a stiff drink? Should I go straight home, and have a hot shower to wash the grime away? Or should I turn around and go straight back in to watch it again?'
Seven was definitely a game changer of 90's cinema.

My mates and i all staggered out in shock.
Old 4th October 2022, 09:06 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The main criticism I had with Seven was that they seemed to rush Pride, it was like they forgot about and had to shoehorn a scene in.
Old 4th October 2022, 09:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ticket To Paradise

George Clooney and Julia Roberts are bickering Parents whose Daughter is due to get married in Bali. Fearing that she is making the same mistake they did, they end up working together to prevent the wedding. This is a good Film, Clooney and Roberts have chemistry together especially when came down to sarcastic insults towards each other and they didn't make the prospective groom an idiot as he could see what is going on, which is a refreshing change.

Woman King

This is the story of The Agojie, an all-female unit of Soldiers who protected the African land of Dahomey in the 1800s. Viola Davis trains the next bunch of recruits and prepares them for battle against an enemy who determined to sell them as Slaves. A pretty decent effort with some funny moments and some good training and battle scenes but not as violent as the Trailer may have suggested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ttp.jpg (12.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg wk.jpg (6.2 KB, 4 views)
Old 5th October 2022, 11:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nothing But Trouble (1991, Dan Akroyd)

When a mismatched group of travellers fall foul of a local scam, they are pitched into a strange, insular world.
Featuring enough ideas for a trilogy in a taut 95 minutes, this one is not for lightweights. Yes it clunks quite a bit and doesn't really hold up to close scrutiny but it entertained me and that is all I ask really. Akroyd appears as a patriarch and then some

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th October 2022, 09:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Vampire In Brooklyn

Horror/Comedy Directed by Wes Craven and starring Eddie Murphy as a Vampire who travels to Brooklyn by Boat (Slight vibes of the Zombie Flesh Eaters opening) in order to find a fellow vampire (Angela Bassett) who is a Police Detective. He is also assisted by an Assistant who he turned into a Ghoul. It's not bad, certainly has it's moments.

Remember seeing the Trailer on Barb Wire and Executive Decision, whilst in the Cinema but never got round to seeing it.

Nightmare At Noon

After a unknown organization (A.P.E) deliberately contaminates the water supply of a very small, middle of nowhere town (With futuristic looking technology) the locals, who drink it, end up turning into (Zombie like) crazies. It takes The Sheriff, his Daughter and a Vacationing Lawyer and a Hitch Hiker to sort it out. This was such a fun, fast paced Film with some great Action scenes.

As mentioned on the Arrow Thread, I managed to find the Hollywood DVD for really cheap and this was to test it out and TBH, I don't think, I actually need the Blu-Ray. The picture was pretty good and Nico Mastorakis seemingly is only talking about this Film and not a Documentary about his Films and that would have been the only Extra Feature, I would be interested in. It won't be long before I watch it again. This will be one of those go to Films, if I'm bored and want something easy to watch.

Oh yeah the Synopsis on The DVD cover gives away the entire Film, seems to be a regular occurrence as I believe that Island Of Death gave a detailed description.

Super Mario Bros

Based on the Computer Game, this sees Bob Hoskins and John Lezignamo as Mario and Luigi who attempt to save Princess Daisy (Samantha Mathis) from the evil King Koopa (Dennis Hopper) who wants to bring Dinosaurs back to the real world.

This was one of the few Films in the 90's that did the trifecta for me (Saw it at the Cinema, Rented it on Video and bought the Video) and as I was 12 at the time, I didn't pay attention to Reviews (Those were the days LOL) and I rather enjoyed it back then (As I only watched the Film, not knowing any controversies) and after re-watching it again, I didn't find it too bad, I believe that it isn't deserving of all the negative reviews)

Hey we all have that Film LOL (The one you don't understand that gets the hate)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vib.jpg (13.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg nan.jpg (12.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg smb.jpg (18.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th October 2022, 12:14 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Vampire In Brooklyn

Horror/Comedy Directed by Wes Craven and starring Eddie Murphy as a Vampire who travels to Brooklyn by Boat (Slight vibes of the Zombie Flesh Eaters opening) in order to find a fellow vampire (Angela Bassett) who is a Police Detective. He is also assisted by an Assistant who he turned into a Ghoul. It's not bad, certainly has it's moments.

Remember seeing the Trailer on Barb Wire and Executive Decision, whilst in the Cinema but never got round to seeing it.

Nightmare At Noon

After a unknown organization (A.P.E) deliberately contaminates the water supply of a very small, middle of nowhere town (With futuristic looking technology) the locals, who drink it, end up turning into (Zombie like) crazies. It takes The Sheriff, his Daughter and a Vacationing Lawyer and a Hitch Hiker to sort it out. This was such a fun, fast paced Film with some great Action scenes.

As mentioned on the Arrow Thread, I managed to find the Hollywood DVD for really cheap and this was to test it out and TBH, I don't think, I actually need the Blu-Ray. The picture was pretty good and Nico Mastorakis seemingly is only talking about this Film and not a Documentary about his Films and that would have been the only Extra Feature, I would be interested in. It won't be long before I watch it again. This will be one of those go to Films, if I'm bored and want something easy to watch.

Oh yeah the Synopsis on The DVD cover gives away the entire Film, seems to be a regular occurrence as I believe that Island Of Death gave a detailed description.

Super Mario Bros

Based on the Computer Game, this sees Bob Hoskins and John Lezignamo as Mario and Luigi who attempt to save Princess Daisy (Samantha Mathis) from the evil King Koopa (Dennis Hopper) who wants to bring Dinosaurs back to the real world.

This was one of the few Films in the 90's that did the trifecta for me (Saw it at the Cinema, Rented it on Video and bought the Video) and as I was 12 at the time, I didn't pay attention to Reviews (Those were the days LOL) and I rather enjoyed it back then (As I only watched the Film, not knowing any controversies) and after re-watching it again, I didn't find it too bad, I believe that it isn't deserving of all the negative reviews)

Hey we all have that Film LOL (The one you don't understand that gets the hate)
Do you watch these on VHS, or are you just using the artwork?

I miss VHS artwork.
Demoncrat and nicholasrope like this.
Old 6th October 2022, 08:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
Do you watch these on VHS, or are you just using the artwork?

I miss VHS artwork.
Yeah I'm just using the original Artwork, they are just the best. I have a few VHS, for the Films that aren't available on DVD/Blu-Ray
Old 6th October 2022, 08:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Kaji: Ultimate Gambler

Story of a man in debt who is forced into working to build an underground city after a gang after losing a gambling game. In order to escape, he has to gamble everything. This is not bad, it definitely has some tense scenes but at 2hr 10min, it's way too long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kug.jpg (14.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th October 2022, 08:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Kaji: Ultimate Gambler

Story of a man in debt who is forced into working to build an underground city after a gang after losing a gambling game. In order to escape, he has to gamble everything. This is not bad, it definitely has some tense scenes but at 2hr 10min, it's way too long.
A lot of modern Japanese films could do with better editors I think, well this applies to old Japanese films as well It's as if the western idea of 90 mins or less is reversed.
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!