LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd March 2023, 12:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Quantum of Solace

Even as I write this I'm thinking why didn't I like this it has everything I would enjoy but it felt a little empty like something was missing.
Yeah, like a story!
Old 3rd March 2023, 12:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I will have to watch the second Ghost Rider myself at some point only seen it once I know I didn't enjoy it as much as the first but still worth a re watch. Saying that I must rewatch the first one too.
I thought that second Ghost Rider film bordered on being unwatchable.

The first is great though.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 3rd March 2023, 04:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah, like a story!
Yeah I will agree with that.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 3rd March 2023, 05:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Man Of Steel. 2013.

Michael Shannon at the start is ruthless as you expected him to be from the comics and books playing Zod who does want any alien wants, wipe out humanity, take control and rule the world and create a new planet in memory of his lost planet Krypton. Henry Caville plays the last son of Krypton and does manage to step in the role that Christopher Reeve and Brandon Routh brought to the screen in the previous films yet I'm sure we all think that Christopher Reeve will be the best Superman.

The effects in this are decent and can be a bit over the the top at times along with some camera work that can give you a headache. The set piece for Krypton was decent and is more open than the original that is invaded in a building. Was Russell Crowe the good choice for Jor-El...I would say he was, he brought a lot of energy to the character with his views on saving the planet and able to go head on into a fight with Zod and able to try and maintain balance.

I don't know why I wanted to watch this as I have tried to watch it all the way through after seeing it when it was released, yet I downloaded it and listened to it on my way to work and somehow actually enjoyed it, think this was the 4th time and does pay off to keep giving a film a chance to be enjoyable.

1000362869-1_1400x.jpg
Old 3rd March 2023, 07:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Man Of Steel. 2013.

Michael Shannon at the start is ruthless as you expected him to be from the comics and books playing Zod who does want any alien wants, wipe out humanity, take control and rule the world and create a new planet in memory of his lost planet Krypton. Henry Caville plays the last son of Krypton and does manage to step in the role that Christopher Reeve and Brandon Routh brought to the screen in the previous films yet I'm sure we all think that Christopher Reeve will be the best Superman.

The effects in this are decent and can be a bit over the the top at times along with some camera work that can give you a headache. The set piece for Krypton was decent and is more open than the original that is invaded in a building. Was Russell Crowe the good choice for Jor-El...I would say he was, he brought a lot of energy to the character with his views on saving the planet and able to go head on into a fight with Zod and able to try and maintain balance.

I don't know why I wanted to watch this as I have tried to watch it all the way through after seeing it when it was released, yet I downloaded it and listened to it on my way to work and somehow actually enjoyed it, think this was the 4th time and does pay off to keep giving a film a chance to be enjoyable.

Attachment 244990
I loved Man of Steel the first time I watched it and have enjoyed it every time since. I do like the original films with Christopher Reeve but I don't hold his performance as quintessential like many do. I think both Brandon Routh and Henry Cavill have done a fine job portraying the character. I've also never realy got the collateral damage complaints levelled at Man of Steel either. Of course there's collateral damage, there are two incredibly powerful beings fighting in a city. What was Supes supposed to do? Sit back and do nothing in case something got broken??
nicholasrope and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 3rd March 2023, 07:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Japanese answer to star wars , it's a bonkers tale about a planet thats under attack and sends out some glowing magical walnuts across the galaxy to help them defeat a evil empire killing there people . The walnuts end up at the most useless bunch they could find apart from a old general and his robot . It's all very bonkers but enjoyabe with some nice looking model ships.

A made for TV movie , a coast guard chopper is dispatched when a distress signal is received from a boat, the crew joke that it's dab smack in the middle of the Bermuda triangle . When they get their most of the passengers are dead apart from a woman . When a storm approaches one of the coast guard's is stranded on the boat with the woman , who tells him what happened.

It's quite well acted with familiar names including Doug McClure, Jim Davis (jock Ewing), Ed Lauter, Michael Conrad and Kim Novak. The ending is still unsettling and chilling as when I first saw it as a kid.

Now watching

Old 3rd March 2023, 08:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Blade II. 2002.

Guillermo Del Toro takes the helm with this sequel with Wesley Snipes as the daywalker Blade, this time teaming with his enemies to take down a new strain of vampires led by Luke Goss. Del Toro brings in his style of unique tone of dark gothic style right from the start and knew what he wanted with the "Reapers" vampire make up that brings in the horror to the film. One sequel that you can watch over and over and never get bored of.

bbf038071b5069ed424d1c722fe0ae8024092c08a607df2650202acf7b7357ca._RI_V_TTW_.jpg
Old 4th March 2023, 02:37 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Family Of Cops III. 1999.

Paul Fein tries to cope with family problems and also advancing in his career while his son investigates a murder of a wealthy banker who was interested in politics.

The previous film was never the greatest sequels but this one was a bit better, cops and politics never mix with a film and it is certainly played out well with Art Bundle who is the current Mayor who seems to be in office out of luck somehow or someone was bribed by a wealthy person. Charles Bronson seems to have a bit more humour in this and with early stages of Alzheimer's he certainly delivered his role well and left a good legacy of films when he retired, the trilogy was entertaining for T.V. movies.

MV5BNmQ4NThkNGMtNWQzNS00MWI1LWJjNmEtOWQ3YjBhMzAzMGM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTc5MDI5NjE@._V1_.jpg
Old 4th March 2023, 03:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

TERRIFIER 2 – I was a bit worried, as these days I tend to reach my limit around the two-hour mark (and in fact I did a double-take when I realised just how long this rattled on for). In the end it was all OK. The interesting thing about ‘Terrifier 2’ is the weird fantasy angle – over its leisurely course, what begins as a slasher re-tread morphs into a cross between a sister-brother relationships drama and a battle that pitches a winged warrior-girl against a serial killing clown. You can’t knock that kind of ambition in a horror movie these days. Obviously, the gore couldn’t live up to the online hype, but then again it’s not really even the focus. Good stuff, and I hope Leone reins it in a little next time (duration-wise).

THE MARDI GRAS MASSACRE – Jack Weiss made some flicks in New Orleans in the seventies including ‘The Mardi Gras Massacre’, a film that even in this day and age somehow continues to dine out on its overblown ‘video nasty’ tag. I’d seen it before – couldn’t remember it, apart from a bit of butcher’s leftover-style gore (although Weiss seems to have had less of an offal allowance than HG Lewis given his comic overreliance on basically one ‘special effect’). It’s very stiff, badly made and dull. Slightly contra to the recent chorus of Cult Labs disapproval, I could still pull a few good bits out – mostly just odd little quirks like the spooky echo music, wonky characters like the jive talkin’ pimp who’s obviously played by an accountancy student, and the grotty but vivid and genuinely atmospheric street life – but I’m not saying it wasn’t a struggle. On the other hand, shit like this is what it’s all about.

Last edited by Frankie Teardrop; 4th March 2023 at 05:50 PM.
Old 4th March 2023, 03:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post

THE MARDI GRAS MASSACRE – shit this is .
A bit of rampant deleting and you have your succinct review.

Like this? Share it using the links below!