Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree180672Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2023, 10:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

SORORITY HOUSE MASSACRE – One good thing about life is tracking down eighties slashers I haven’t yet seen. Another generally quite good thing is the Concorde logo, it’s not always harbinger of a good time but it sometimes is. SHM is as shameless and cheapshit as they come. It’s basically just a stilted rip-off of 'Halloween' and any generic slasher movie set on a campus. It’s from the mid-eighties, and a straightforward mid-eighties slasher really is the definition of turning up late for the party with an empty bottle. Why do I like it so much, then? It’s just so f*cking silly. I don’t have time to run through the plethora of stupidity on show, but I just really like stuff such as the bit where the Michael clone decides he needs a knife, so he walks into a hardware store in broad daylight, smashes open a glass cabinet, grabs a blade and stabs the owner – all done as a throwaway aside with the dramatic tone of a TV ad for a local car showroom. Or the bit where someone takes care descending a ladder, but then in the next shot doesn’t seem to notice the serial killer standing a few rungs down. Or the bit where a house we know to be quite small starts to seem infinite just because they needed people to run around endlessly for half an hour etc etc. The surrounding ambience is leg warmers, PiL posters and clunky dream sequences. I could watch this kind of shit for hours. You could almost put it in the same zone as ‘Evil Laugh’ and ‘Moonstalker’, but it’s played dead straight, which makes it so much better.
Old 23rd April 2023, 11:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Another expert evaluation FT!!

The Ark Of The Sun God (1984, Antonio Margheriti)

David Warbeck? John Steiner? Go on then.
Tasked with an interesting job, DW finds that a cult also has a stake in this enterprise. Still, he drags the wife along for a nice holiday ahem.
Teaming up with the John Rhys Davies he ordered off Wish and the father from Yor () who was involved in an earlier attempt on this treasure. A hoot. Car chases, model work and stunts aplenty in this romp.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd April 2023, 01:13 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
SORORITY HOUSE MASSACRE – One good thing about life is tracking down eighties slashers I haven’t yet seen. Another generally quite good thing is the Concorde logo, it’s not always harbinger of a good time but it sometimes is. SHM is as shameless and cheapshit as they come. It’s basically just a stilted rip-off of 'Halloween' and any generic slasher movie set on a campus. It’s from the mid-eighties, and a straightforward mid-eighties slasher really is the definition of turning up late for the party with an empty bottle. Why do I like it so much, then? It’s just so f*cking silly. I don’t have time to run through the plethora of stupidity on show, but I just really like stuff such as the bit where the Michael clone decides he needs a knife, so he walks into a hardware store in broad daylight, smashes open a glass cabinet, grabs a blade and stabs the owner – all done as a throwaway aside with the dramatic tone of a TV ad for a local car showroom. Or the bit where someone takes care descending a ladder, but then in the next shot doesn’t seem to notice the serial killer standing a few rungs down. Or the bit where a house we know to be quite small starts to seem infinite just because they needed people to run around endlessly for half an hour etc etc. The surrounding ambience is leg warmers, PiL posters and clunky dream sequences. I could watch this kind of shit for hours. You could almost put it in the same zone as ‘Evil Laugh’ and ‘Moonstalker’, but it’s played dead straight, which makes it so much better.
I've actually got Sorority House Massacre on dvd. Evil Laugh as well. However Moonstalker is a new one on me. I take it it's a VS release and would cost £30 for some unutterable tripe.
Old 23rd April 2023, 01:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Moonstalker is in all honesty a third tier slasher (dark print losing it second place ahem). Twas neither worse nor better than some. IMHO.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd April 2023, 01:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Moonstalker is in all honesty a third tier slasher (dark print losing it second place ahem). Twas neither worse nor better than some. IMHO.
The killer looks a hoot from pictures. Looks like he's literally escaped from an asylum five seconds after having his clothes at the launderette. Cloth mask and all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 27423_1.jpg (71.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 23rd April 2023, 03:07 PM
Cult Master

spring-breakers-poster.jpg

Sick of the same old town the same old faces and the same old shit four friends scrape together enough money to go to spring break by both honest and illegal means. This is the trip of a life time for these girls more than just partying but a chance to see something different and find themselves and discover who they really are. This is one voyage of discovery that these teens won't like what they find and will change them for the rest of their lives for both good and bad.

I watched this for the first time about a year ago and instantly fell in love with it after avoiding it for years thinking it was some crappy teen drama a prime example of don't judge a book by it's cover.

This is my second time watching this and it still blows me away everything about this is amazing honestly. The party scenes at spring break are full of jocks and assholes but the way it's shot is perfect so we don't have to listen to any of their macho talk. The first half of the film is filled with plenty of uncomfortable scenes with the girls in some not so ideal situations that could go badly every fast and these can be a hard watch but sadly that's a reality of what goes on much too often.

Spring breakers feels like your dreaming it feels like your not watching a film but it's like your there witnessing it all first hand it's hard to explain but you find yourself on the same voyage of discovery as the girls we all want what's over there but sometimes what you have going on here is much better you just need to to be shown but sometimes you can't come back.

The cinematography is amazing the sun sets on the beach the neon drenched streets at night the mesmerising way the violence is shown with some amazing music playing over these slow motion scenes taking you even further into the dream. The film is pure artistry and has lost none of its impact from the first time I watched it.

James Franco is brilliant as Alien he is seedy and dangerous he is brash and full of himself but you can see this is a tough front he uses to hide the fact that he is lost and scared and these girls are changing him because they are not just there for the money and all the fancy things he has they are just as crazy as he is and they feed off the danger and he has finally found what he has always been looking for and no he is terrified to lose it. All this is no more evident than the Brittany Spears scene which is one of my favourite scenes in any film I have very little knowledge of Brittany Spears music but this is a touching scene that really exposes Aliens vulnerability again how this scene is shot is breathtaking the sun setting on the beach the pink balaclavas the way the girls dance with the guns it's just amazing.

I love this film I bought the blu ray straight away after I watched this on Netflix that first time because I just knew this was a special film and watching it again today I still feel that way.

Beautiful haunting and very thought provoking.

Last edited by Nordicdusk; 23rd April 2023 at 03:24 PM.
Old 23rd April 2023, 03:35 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I too love Spring Breakers, Nordy.

The visuals showcasing the masked bikini clad girls on the pier wielding various fire arms is unforgettable.

Not in a sexy dreamy way. More like a neon drenched nightmare.

Looks fantastic on Blu as well.
Old 23rd April 2023, 04:14 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I too love Spring Breakers, Nordy.

The visuals showcasing the masked bikini clad girls on the pier wielding various fire arms is unforgettable.

Not in a sexy dreamy way. More like a neon drenched nightmare.

Looks fantastic on Blu as well.

There is lots of nudity and scantly clad ladies but it's not erotic or sexual or exploitative but it is beautiful if you get what I'm saying and I don't mean that in a pervey way help me out here you know what I mean
Old 23rd April 2023, 06:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Eyes of Laura Mars (1978)

Faye Dunaway plays a fashion photographer who takes kinky images of stylized violence for her spreads. Things take on a slight supernatural nature when she begins seeing real time murders through the eyes of a killer of her colleagues. The police including a young Tommy Lee Jones are sceptical to say the least.

An American giallo if ever there was one. If truth be told, if you are a fan of Italian murder mysteries then there's absolutely nothing here you won't have seen before, except with less gore. The story (John Carpenter co-wrote) is enjoyable enough and full of red herrings and it's great to see the likes of Dunaway and Jones in a film of this ilk. Irvin Kershner's direction is slick in what is a stylish thriller, if very seventies with that style, yet it's also a style that's very much ahead of the story's substance although even back then it took a dim view of exploiting sex and violence for mass consumption.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eyesoflauramars.jpg (12.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 23rd April 2023, 07:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Subspecies. 1991.

Three American students get caught in a battle between of good and evil between two vampire brothers.

Anders Hove plays the vampire Radu, son to Angus Scrimm in a small appearance as The King of the undead, even though he is only on screen for the first few mins he never fails to disappoint with his presence. Shot on location around Romania, the cinematography has been greatly done, even the exterior and interior shots is how you would expect it to be in a vampire's lair of a castle. Having viewed this on VHS and DVD, The Blu-Ray does not disappoint with the sharpened up picture quality and the sound, good job on the transfer Full Moon.

6561_2_front.jpg

Like this? Share it using the links below!