All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181786Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th June 2023, 11:14 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
OLD – M N Shyamalan’s concept horror about holidaymakers trapped on a mysterious beach. Had high hopes for the nice air of foreboding that settled in early on; it seemed to blossom in the first half hour or so, which felt quite eerie and full of well-orchestrated discord. But then it all went to shit. We’re given some quite ludicrous scenes – someone getting pregnant and giving birth in a matter of minutes, people gurning a lot when they’re supposedly going mad etc All of that was still fun in a way, but… it felt like a wrong turn. Got a bit of entertainment, but I doubt I’ll see it again.
This has been on my watch pile for the last week, my neighbour says it was the best Shyamalan's best movie until he mentioned it was on his top 5 movies along with The Village, that put me off watching it.
Old 19th June 2023, 12:50 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
EIGHT FOR SILVER – Enjoyed it.
As did i.
Old 19th June 2023, 07:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Who's Harry Crumb. 1989

John Candy plays Harry Crumb who from a short line of private investigators, is called to Los Angeles to help with a kidnapping case and manages to create a uproar with the local police and his superiors. This has the 80s comedy written all over it, a horse doing a double take with Candy dressed as a jockey, everyone playing footsie under the table, a private Investigator dressing up as a foreign stylist and loosing his chest hair over a naked woman and Jeffrey Jones making a appearance who made plenty films in the 80s. Tim Thomerson who did plenty of action flicks shows he can do comedy as the lover to Annie Potts even though her character can be annoying. Shawnee Smith plays the other sister and co worker to Crumb, even though she has little comedic moments her facial looks can be a give away to being reamed up with a bumbling detective. May Not be the best John Candy film but certainly decent to watch every so often.

images (1).jpg
Old 19th June 2023, 09:24 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Bangkok Adrenaline

4 tourists in Bangkok fall foul of a Gangster after running up a Gambling Debt and to pay it off, they kidnap the Step-Daughter of a Millionaire Crime Boss but he wants her dead himself. After he re-abducts her, they team up with her Bodyguards to save her.

This is similar to District 13 and whilst at the beginning, I didn't like the main characters (They were complete jerks, 1 of them told the Crime Boss that he forgot to break a finger of another Debtor) I warmed up to them when they actually became the heroes. The script and acting isn't the best but it certainly delivers on the Action and Parkor scenes and that is why I bought it for a quid at CEX and after a shift at work, it was a nice and easy film to watch with there being some humor and a short 88 minute running time. It will go on the list of films to watch when it's hot and want a no-brainer.

American Dragon

A Hong Kong Cop retires and goes to New York but is spotted by an enemy Triad Gang and therefore has to team up with the NYPD to stop them. It's one of those that it was ok and has a great shootout at a Police Station but for me it seemed slow which was a shame because it was nearly a good Action Flick. The M.I.A DVD cover was different to the VHS Rental and I actually recognize the cover.

21 Jump Street

Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill go undercover at a High School to investigate a Drugs Ring. Ice Cube is great as the Police Captain with the angry disdain look and it also co-stars Brie Larson and Dave Franco. It's one of those that should have been much better with the potential it had.

Con Air

Don't think I need to go over the plot for this one, one of the great 90's Action Movies with those Action Stars, John Malkovich, John Cusack and Steve Buscemi and a well known LeAnn Rimes Ballad LOL. All kidding aside, I love this Movie, would really like a loaded Blu-Ray release with plenty of Extras.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ba.jpg (12.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ad.jpg (12.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 21js.jpg (13.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg ca.jpg (12.5 KB, 1 views)
Old 19th June 2023, 10:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Piggy. 2022.

Sara is a over weight teen tormented by a couple of girls, one day her tormentors go too far only to be spotted by a stranger who stands up for her and things begin to spiral for them both.

This is listed as a horror and what feels like it's described as a revenge film but isn't, yeah it can be uncomfortable to watch, even though the main actress is over 21 yet she does look young for her age, Laura Galan does play the part well. This doesn't rely on gore even though we do see some after effects. The first act of seeing how she is tormented is a good build up and how it effects her and being abused by two yokels can be upsetting. When it gets to the second can drag on a bit too much then the final part makes up for it with a great build up of tension. This was made in Spain there is the Spanish audio with subtitles and dubbed version...don't go for the dubbed it is well out of sync and really bad at times. I'd certainly watch this again.

8EIQAvJjXdbNDMmBtHtgGqbc09V.jpg
Old 20th June 2023, 01:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Condemned. 2015.

A group of squatters in a New York apartment block are exposed to a unknown virus that turns them into into sadistic killers.

This has a assortment of different characters, a neo Nazi gay BDSM couple, a unbalanced psychotic jew with his hooker girlfriend, a Chinese drug dealer working for a Russian mob, two heroin users and a weird building superintendent. Maya who is a somewhat rich kid fed up with her parents fighting stays with her boyfriend and his two friends. The acting may not be the best and sometimes the characters can come out with some funny remarks, the visual effects are a bit messed up and in a good way of someone was on a acid trip and hallucinating. There is a feel of claustrophobia and isolation set in the apartment block that gives it a feel it was inspired by the film [REC] along with its moments of gore. It's not the best but certainly entertaining.

images (2).jpeg
Old 20th June 2023, 08:34 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
OLD – M N Shyamalan’s concept horror about holidaymakers trapped on a mysterious beach. Had high hopes for the nice air of foreboding that settled in early on; it seemed to blossom in the first half hour or so, which felt quite eerie and full of well-orchestrated discord. But then it all went to shit. We’re given some quite ludicrous scenes – someone getting pregnant and giving birth in a matter of minutes, people gurning a lot when they’re supposedly going mad etc All of that was still fun in a way, but… it felt like a wrong turn. Got a bit of entertainment, but I doubt I’ll see it again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
This has been on my watch pile for the last week, my neighbour says it was the best Shyamalan's best movie until he mentioned it was on his top 5 movies along with The Village, that put me off watching it.
I thought Old was pretty good, definitely a level above The Village, and it's a film that I've been meaning to rewatch for a while.

If you have a Netflix account then it is worth streaming. This may be a weird way to recommend a film, but it should provide enough weirdness to be interesting and wouldn't be a complete waste of 108 minutes.
Old 20th June 2023, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Spiritual Kung Fu. 1978.

Jackie Chan in a early role plays a clown student at a Shaolin Temple school, when a secret scroll is taken, he is trained by 5 ghosts in a old style of martial arts to get the scroll back. Directed by Wei Lo who gave us The Big Boss and Fist Of Fury, and manages to incorporate some comedic moments with a little help from Jackie. This film isn't to be taken serious and does get a bit dull half way through with the lead trying to take up a fight with a girl and her bag. The fight scenes are like other 70s movies, it is decently choreographed and does come with some bad dubbing that is all over the place. I hadn't seen this since the early 90s and glad I got the chance to see it again.

download.jpeg
Old 20th June 2023, 10:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Young Americans (1993)

Harvey Keitel plays an American Drug Enforcement Agent who travels to London to apprehend a gangster (Viggo Mortensen) making London's clubland his own by hiring naive young men to carry out his dirty work.

The debut film of director Danny Cannon. Although he only made two others -the ill received Judge Dread and slasher sequel I Still Know What You Did Last Summer - there's a lot of promise here in a film which is decidedly edgy in tone even if it's basically a remake of the John Wayne vehicle Brannigan (1975). There's added seediness and violence as the film pitches the new young criminals against old school London gangsters in the form of Terence Rigby. Meanwhile Harvey Keitel who was born for roles like this is excellent as is Craig Kelly who plays a youngster at the center of this drug fueled world.

The Young Americans garnered interest at the time thanks to the hit single Play Dead from Bjork and composer David Arnold. It's also interesting that a remix of Nine Inch Nails song Gave Up plays during one of the club scenes and this version has never been heard anywhere else other than this single scene.

For whatever reason The Young Americans is totally off the radar nowadays and has never had a Blu-ray release. A crying shame as i think it's excellent and would upgrade my bare bones Anchor Bay dvd in a heartbeat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-368 (Small).jpg (33.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st June 2023, 05:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Terror At Red Wolf Inn. 1972.

A young college student wins a competition to spend the weekend in the middle of the country in a B&B where the owners have certain plans for her.

This was recommended by YouTube and after checking out a small teaser trailer, after the disaster of YouTube movies im a bit weary but I took a chance and actually enjoyed it. We got The Waltons star Mary Jackson as a co owner of a small resort and has that look that a loving granny gives out when she is happy to see you, but there is also a dark side to the smile. Linda Gillen plays the happy young student who gets the surprise that she has won a weekend away even though she never entered any competition, nice cliche moment there. Got no idea if this was a theatrical release or a made for TV movie but i'm pretty sure it could have gave Martin Brody a hint on how to kill Jaws. The acting may not be perfect, but was enjoyable.

MV5BZWU2MGRlYTktZDg2YS00Yzc3LWEzODAtZjY1Yzc5YzU4NzFlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

Burial Ground: 4K.

Im not going to stretch this one out, after the bad release of City Of The Living Dead, 88 Films obviously managed to learn from a mistake or two, picture quality, sound, I have no complaints unless I have missed something and a felllow cultist picks up on it, my bad. The dubbing will never be perfect no matter what release you go for. At least the film still keeps me quiet

Like this? Share it using the links below!