Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181802Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

is that vigilante the robert Forster film, if so, where d'ya get it cause ive been after that film for years...
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:13 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
It all ends on such a ferociously nihilistic, doom-laden, note that you have to wonder how well kiddies slept in 1975 after seeing it!
I saw it in 1975 (I was 9) and it was pretty freaky stuff back then too.
Old 23rd March 2010, 01:55 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Watched the classic Fright Night yesterday. I heard alot of good things about it and as its getting a remake, I thought il check it out.

It had its funny moments and was pretty good overall. I would have liked it to be 10 mins shorter though as I lost interest during the end.
Fright Night IS a classic.I can't see anyone else as Peter Vincent except Roddy McDowall.I hope the remake goes down in flames!

"Welcome to Fright Night!......For real."
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Watched the classic Fright Night yesterday. I heard alot of good things about it and as its getting a remake, I thought il check it out.

It had its funny moments and was pretty good overall. I would have liked it to be 10 mins shorter though as I lost interest during the end.
Yeah it's not quite the same seeing now as if you saw it back in the home video days
Old 23rd March 2010, 02:18 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I saw it on the cinema when it was first released. Like The Lost Boys it's dated quite a lot now but it still has its charm. Sarandon & McDowall are brilliant.

The sequel was absolutely chronic.
Old 23rd March 2010, 03:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via MSN to nekromantik

Yeah I heard part 2 was bad so wont bother seeing it

My DVD Collection
Tumblr
Old 23rd March 2010, 05:49 PM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

Had a double bill round a mate's house last night!

His pick was Dans Ma Peau (In My Skin) - first time I had ever seen it and had no idea what to expect. It was a very interesting film to say the least - VERY slow at first - but then becomes very twisted and bizarre. I can see how people may connect this to Cronenberg but I don't think it's as re-watchable as his work.

Then it was my pick! - I choose D'Amato's Beyond The Darkness which he had never seen. I really like this film; the gore is VERY releastic, the story is brilliantly odd and it has many many tense moments in there. Unfortionatly, I began to spot the flaws in the story etc with this viewing, but I don't really care about those. It's a great film!
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Yeah I heard part 2 was bad so wont bother seeing it
I have Fright Night 2 on an old ex rental VHS. I think I payed 50p for it so it was no great loss. McDowall has a few good moments but not enough to make the film worthwhile.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:18 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

It's been a while since I posted to this thread, but here is a very rapid update of what I've been watching the last couple of weeks...

Jungle Holocaust: One of my favourite cannibal films, and one that I hadn't visited in a long while.

The Escapees: Very underated and obscure film by Jean Rollin which tells the tale of two girls on the run from a mental institution. There is a cameo by the gorgeous Brigitte Lahaie too - which is always a bonus.

Hell of the Living Dead: Bruno Mattei's (AKA Vincent Dawn ) cheesy zombie masterpiece. Very silly, but great fun all the same.

Vampyres: Joseph Larraz's erotic vampire yarn. Pretty solid stuff and one of the better British erotic vampire films, imo. Certainly better than Hammer's Lust for a Vampire anyway...

The Toolbox Murders: Nowhere near the quality of Ferrara's similarly themed and later effort: The Driller Killer imo, but still an essential slice of '70s schlock cinema. I'd completely forgotten Cameron Mitchell was in it though...

The Curse of Frankenstein: Probably my favourite Hammer Frankenstein film, and even though Lee's talents are err... criminally under-used (), Cushing is on top form as always and shows everyone why he was the definitive Baron Frankenstein.

Bloody Reunion (Seuseung-ui eunhye): Pretty decent Korean revenge/slasher/serial killer flick. I'd never seen this before and some good gore, an interesting story, and a few twists made this enjoyable.

La morte vivante (The Living Dead Girl): One of my favourite Rollin films, and a must watch for anyone even remotely into the erotic vampire genre. As usual, with Rollin the cinematography is excellent, but is less dreamy and surreal than much of his other work.

Nude for Satan (Nuda per satana): A surreal mind-f*ck of a film, but highly engaging (imo). Watch out for Rita Calderoni getting 'sexually assaulted' by the most fake looking giant spider ever seen too...

Black Demons: I'd never seen this before, but I was impressed with the suspense created by Lenzi, and the voodoo take on the zombie uprising, complete with disfigured, shackled, undead slaves. I was disappointed with the lack of gore and zombie attacks though. Apart from two deliciously gross eyeball extraction scenes it was pretty bloodless; the zombies even backed off (willingly ) from the attack at times... pretty good overall though.

As you can see, I have too much free time on my hands.
Old 23rd March 2010, 06:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I thought Black Demons was awful. Lenzi's worst film IMO.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!