Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181853Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th July 2024, 08:01 PM
Cult Don

When people review films, it would be useful if they could mentioned how they watched it - DVD / Blu-ray, cinema, streaming service (and if so, what one) etc
nicholasrope likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 7th July 2024, 10:30 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
When people review films, it would be useful if they could mentioned how they watched it - DVD / Blu-ray, cinema, streaming service (and if so, what one) etc
Well with that specific film, JHarker bought the Blu yesterday which he posted in another thread and i asked him to review it when he'd watched it.

As for myself, everything i watch is on either dvd or Blu-ray and more often than not i'll say what i thought of the disc quality.

It's hard enough getting people to review anything they watch never mind asking for specific criteria.
J Harker and nicholasrope like this.
Old 7th July 2024, 11:08 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Pity, thanks for the review, J.
It is worth a watch Dem. Just don't go spending top dollar. I've just remembered another film it reminded me of quite a bit, also a John Cusack starrer, the Stephen King adaptation 1408. Only in terms of some of the ideas pilfered.
The unusual concept of a relatively big production with big names set here in Wales, relatively close to me was very interesting to me. Sadly the pay off just wasn't there.

Last edited by J Harker; 8th July 2024 at 08:54 AM.
Old 8th July 2024, 02:48 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasrope View Post
Bowfinger

Steve Martin is a struggling Director and his last shot at glory involves him Directing a movie starring the hottest Film Star (Played by Eddie Murphy) without his knowledge. This is so funny especially when they are doing the scenes and seeing that Murphy's character is paranoid only enhances the funniness.

Pretty sure I read that Heather Graham's character was based on someone.
According to Wikipedia, Heather Graham based Daisy on Anne Heche, who Steve Martin was dating at the time, and who left him for Ellen DeGeneres.
nicholasrope likes this.
Old 8th July 2024, 03:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Big

A boy makes a wish that he get's big and the next day it comes true (As well as getting older) and turns into Tom Hanks. So he gets a job for a toy company and gets a Girlfriend but eventually he has to wish back to being to how it was. Not seen this in probably decades and it was still a lot of fun.

Maniacal

A man attempts to murder his Father and kills his Step-Mother, gets sent to a Mental Institution, goes on a rampage on the day of release and goes back home to go on another killing spree. OMG, definitely one of the worst 5 films I own (If not top 3) everything is terrible from the Acting, Script, Gore (You can tell it's rubber dummies)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg b.jpg (19.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg m.jpg (9.6 KB, 3 views)
Old 8th July 2024, 03:07 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Big

A boy makes a wish that he get's big and the next day it comes true (As well as getting older) and turns into Tom Hanks. So he gets a job for a toy company and gets a Girlfriend but eventually he has to wish back to being to how it was. Not seen this in probably decades and it was still a lot of fun.

Maniacal

A man attempts to murder his Father and kills his Step-Mother, gets sent to a Mental Institution, goes on a rampage on the day of release and goes back home to go on another killing spree. OMG, definitely one of the worst 5 films I own (If not top 3) everything is terrible from the Acting, Script, Gore (You can tell it's rubber dummies)
I watch this guy on YouTube who is reviewing all of the Hardgore releases and Maniacal looked awful haha you're very brave watching that one.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th July 2024, 06:26 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Frightmare (1974)

Pete Walker's grisly tale of cannibalism in the home counties is often seen as his greatest work. Starring Sheila Keith and Rupert Davies as a couple recently released from an asylum where Keith was incarcerated for murdering and partially eating six people. However Keith isn't cured and her cannibalistic urges quickly return.

Although low budget Walker filmed it all on location or out of a studio and it's all the better for it. It gives the film that seedy seventies feel following the hedonistic times of the swinging sixties.

Coming over like a kind of British grim and gritty version of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Keith's character Dorothy uses all manner of power tools to dispatch her victims at her rural farm house - but arguably better written thanks to David McGillivray's tight script. You never realise that the murders don't begin until the films midway point - It's exact midway point to be precise - as the story and realistic acting draw you in and keep you invested, in particular Deborah Fairfax who plays the couple's London living daughter Jackie. It's Keith who is the main draw, starting off sympathetic she evolves into a scheming remorseless killer and the first time i watched it i quickly found out i'd never seen anything quite like it. How could these nice elderly people do the things they did? It seemed so gritty and scarily realistic. They weren't zombies or vampires just normal folk. Albeit normal folk who stick hot pokers in eyes and pitchfork's into stomachs. On that level the film remains unsettling to this day.

I look forward to hearing McGillivray's new Blu-ray commentary with Barry Forshaw and Kim Newman later this week.
Old 8th July 2024, 06:40 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I watch this guy on YouTube who is reviewing all of the Hardgore releases and Maniacal looked awful haha you're very brave watching that one.
If it's Old Man Chimes, then I watch his channel too. He's covered or covering the labels I followed like VIPCO Scream Time, Dead Of Night, Shameless and currently Hard Gore and AGFA
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 8th July 2024, 07:06 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
If it's Old Man Chimes, then I watch his channel too. He's covered or covering the labels I followed like VIPCO Scream Time, Dead Of Night, Shameless and currently Hard Gore and AGFA
It is always got time for a fellow northerner, even if he's from the wrong side of the peaks.
nicholasrope likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 10th July 2024, 10:44 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)

A doddering vampire hunter (Jack MacGowran) and his useless assistant (Roman Polanski) travel to remote Transylvanian village where they find signs of vampirism. Polanski becomes enchanted by the local tavern keeper's daughter, Sarah (Sharon Tate - who wouldn't?), who is then abducted by Ferdie Mayne's Count von Krolock. Determined to save her the idiotic duo set off for the Count's castle.

Jesus wept, this is one bad, bad film from director Roman Polanski. It's too stupid to be a horror and not funny enough to be a comedy in fact i never laughed once and yet being Polanski it certainly has it's plus points.

The sets and locations are wonderful, all snowy and fairy tale like and remind me of Bava's The Wurdulak segment of Black Sabbath in fact the first half hour seems all too similar to have just been luck. The second half of the film again reminds me of other better movies especially Hammer's Kiss of the Vampire with the undead ball at the end which is a delight.

And for all it's sumptuous Gothic trappings, MacGowran is so annoyingly silly, his and other characters buffoonery ruin what could have been a masterpiece.

I should like this. I return to it every few years to give it another chance but it never gets any better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fearlessvampirekillersposter.jpg (26.5 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!