All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree181802Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th April 2010, 04:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
just finished Blade 2, i really like it, i remember liking it when i saw it in the cinema, i kind of enjoy the 3rd one, it's a little bit silly but ryan reynolds kicks ass in it. Agree that the Original Blade is the best.
Haha I quite enjoyed Blade 3 too, I also quite enjoyed the Amityville remake with Ryan Reynolds and that woman out of Home&Away too from what I remember. I should be ashamed... Should maybe file under the guilty pleasures thread!

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 26th April 2010, 05:19 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yesterday's moviethon included.....

BLACK HAWK DOWN-BR-Dumb and full a cum hoo-ah gung ho nonsense.But very entertaining nonsense.

THE WILD GEESE-Never tire of this....RAFER-GET ON THE ****ING PLANE!

WHERE EAGLES DARE-Burton double bill.Class.Ingrid's Alps are as fine as the mountain range on which it was filmed.

ROLLERCOASTER-Enjoyable terrorist potboiler.

THE FOURTH KIND-Utter bollocks.The simultaneous real footage alongside the movie just didn't work.
Director take note,watch CARRIE for how to use split-screen.

OASIS OF THE ZOMBIES-Made it all the way through!
Not as bad as I remember!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th April 2010, 05:31 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just adding my bit on the Blade discussion, I quite liked Blade 2, though I do agree that it is Del Toro's worst film when compared to his others. Blade 3 is long overdue a revisit from me. I do remember thinking it wasn't as bad as some of the critics made it out to be but I still remember it being the weakest of the three.

"The Box"
Three words: What the f***?

"Diary Of The Dead"
I gave a rewatch before the latest Romero Zombiefest gets a viewing. It doesn't get any better. In fact, a second viewing just made me remember how bad the film was the first time. (I'd somehow managed to forget a lot of it.) Easily the nadir of Romero's zombie films and close to being the most pointless film ever to use the documentary style of drama.

"Two Thousand Maniacs"
Herschell Gordon Lewis's second feature feels tame after his gore inspired debut. The acting is still terrible and the plotting laughable as you would expect, but the god awful country music (Written by the film maker himself ) is so annoying that it becomes hard work getting through the entire movie without ear plugs. The film is OK but not one that will ever be getting a second viewing at any time from me due to that bloody awful soundtrack.

My style? .........You could call it the art of fighting without fighting!
Old 26th April 2010, 05:50 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromonkey View Post
ryan reynolds kicks ass in it.
He's the worst thing in it. Should have fired the **** the second he opened his annoying, smarmy, gob.
I was surprised I like him in "Smokin' Aces".

And the whole 'ipod' (or whatever) idea of fighting a horde of super fast vampires with music blasting in your ears...so you lose one of your vital senses...just summed up the inanity of this shitpile.
Oh that and the 'what the hell did they just do with Whistler' crap and the worst Dracula ever put on screen.
Drossville.

"Teeth"

Wonderful little horror film that delivers some great black comedy, some well executed gore and gross-out sequences and benefits big time, in the longish build-up to the main plot device of a toothy fun tunnel, from the brilliant performance by Jess Weixler as the teenage girl with a big problem.

The mixture of the comic and the serious is well handled and although you have to wait (though it's a perfectly fine 'n' dandy wait thanks to the script and the lead performance) the penis armageddon the plot idea hints at is delivered in full blooded, shaft separated, close-up and the finale is a grotesque gem of black comic cock carnage.

Predictable for sure (although thankfully this means we don't have a stupid non-sensical twist to mess the film up as the credits roll) but that does not mean "Teeth" isn't wildly entertaining and satisfying.
Highly recommended.
Old 26th April 2010, 05:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I thought Teeth was a very silly film! One of those ones that are entertaining with beer and friends round. What a bizarre premise for a movie lol.

Ooo I love The Wild Geese, what a cracking film!! Any film with Sir Roger in is worth my time of day (you all know he was the best Bond )

Blu Rays ---- Vinyl ---- For Sale / Trade ---- Blu Spaghetti
Old 26th April 2010, 05:59 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Yesterday's moviethon included.....

BLACK HAWK DOWN-BR-Dumb and full a cum hoo-ah gung ho nonsense.But very entertaining nonsense.

THE WILD GEESE-Never tire of this....RAFER-GET ON THE ****ING PLANE!

WHERE EAGLES DARE-Burton double bill.Class.Ingrid's Alps are as fine as the mountain range on which it was filmed.
Some fine watches there.
\
Have to say though, I don't see "Black Hawk" as gung-ho.
I thought it a very powerful (if exciting, yes) look at men thrown into a f hellhole (that's just as bad now), fighting armed militia who steal aid from their own starving people and getting nothing but abuse for it while trying to just survive.
Damn fine film that, just like "The Hurt Locker", is basically about the soldier on the ground just doing his job.

LOVE "Geese". Never gets old as you said. Stunning cast and some great, violent, action.

I like "Eagles", but Eastwood gets almost forgotten next to Burton...which must be why they gave him that wonderfully outrageous 'shooting half the German army in a corridor' sequence just so people remembered he was in the film!
Burton is wonderful though and only he could sell that wildly complicated, dialogue drowned, sequence in the dining room!
Top notch music as well.
Old 26th April 2010, 10:06 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
ROLLERCOASTER-Enjoyable terrorist potboiler.
Saw this in Sensurround on the cinema in the 70's but haven't picked up the DVD yet. A tad overlong but still a great fun film. Timothy Bottoms is chilling and Lalo Schifrin's soundtrack is sheer brilliance.

Did you spot young Helen Hunt (Segal's daughter) & Steve Guttenberg (the slack FBI messenger boy)?
Old 26th April 2010, 10:30 PM
Ex-member

Default What films have you seen recently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
I agree.

I think the second Blade is Del Toro's worst film (his only bad film IMO), but the third one...sheesh!

Norrington's original is great though.
How can you say BLADE 2 is Del Toro's worst film?
It was a brilliant sequel.
BLADE 3 was crap of course. Shouldn't of been made.
Old 26th April 2010, 10:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Morton View Post
How can you say BLADE 2 is Del Toro's worst film?
Because all his other films are gigantic, massive, enormous leagues better than it.

I thought Blade II sucked. I was very disappointed by it.
Old 26th April 2010, 10:47 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

i'd like to direct you to MIMIC, Del Toro's first english language film and it's utter drivel, i agree that out of his better known films Blade 2 is his weakest, yet still made big business at the box office and gor 4 to 5 star reviews. He declined the 3rd film due to Hellboy finally getting greenlit and David S Goyer was tapped to make his directorial debut. The reason the film is nowhere near the standards of the previous is because Goyer's ego got the better of him and fell out with Snipes hence the reason snipes does not appear in any of the special features. Apparently Big Wesley hated the direction Goyer was taking the story and that's why he looks like he's only there as he's contracted for the three. if another director had taken over and left Goyer's script the way it was originally written, minus abigail whistler and 'Drake' i believe the 3rd film would have been more successful...

Like this? Share it using the links below!