Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree3649Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th December 2017, 04:34 PM
Cult Don

Women!

Not content with 'Doctor Who' and 'Ghostbusters', we've now laid claim to Danny Ocean

"The tide has turned and it’s a whole new “Ocean’s” when eight women plan and execute a heist in New York. Oscar winner Sandra Bullock stars in the title role, alongside Oscar winners Cate Blanchett and Anne Hathaway, Mindy Kaling, Sarah Paulson, Awkwafina, with Rihanna and Oscar nominee Helena Bonham Carter. Oscar-nominated filmmaker Gary Ross is directing.

Ross directs from a screenplay he wrote with Olivia Milch (upcoming “Dude”), with Steven Soderbergh and Jon Kilik producing, Michael Tadross, Susan Ekins, Sandra Bullock, Diana Alvarez and Bruce Berman executive producing, and Milch co-producing. Filming is taking place in and around New York City.

Collaborating with Ross behind the scenes are director of photography Eigil Bryld (“In Bruges,” “Not Fade Away”), production designer Alex DiGerlando (“Beasts of the Southern Wild,” HBO’s “True Detective”), editor Juliette Welfling (“Free State of Jones,” “The Hunger Games”), costume designer Sarah Edwards (“Tower Heist,” Showtime’s “Billions”), and composer Nicholas Britell (“The Big Short,” “Free State of Jones”).

The film is set for release in Summer 2018 and will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, and in select territories by Village Roadshow Pictures."

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th December 2017, 04:42 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Maybe it’s just that Ocean’s 11 was hardly a classic, or that Bullock is playing Danny’s sister and Matt Damon is in it, but I’m not bothered about this fillm or it’s cast.

Ghostbusters on the other hand. A classic that didn’t need remade, and starring not very funny comedians/actresses.
keirarts, iank and MrBarlow like this.
Old 19th December 2017, 06:07 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'm prepared to be both entertained and disappointed, but I'd rather studios and filmmakers concentrated on increasing female representation behind and in front of the camera rather than remaking films with all-female cast in a way that looks 'gimmicky'.

I thought Star Wars: The Last Jedi was one of the strongest feminist films I've seen in the cinema for a long time; a movie with strong female characters who, in a way which easily passes the Bechtel test, interact with each other about such things as military strategy.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st December 2017, 12:28 PM
Cult Don

The first trailer...

Before all you haters make a comment, get in touch with your feminine side and realise that this is going to be f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 21st December 2017, 03:29 PM
Cult Veteran

The first one is woeful so I highly doubt it haha. I don’t mind a musical either as you all know and I’m actually an ABBA fan too, but just no...
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st December 2017, 04:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I hate Abba with a vengeance.

Don't know why but i enjoyed Mamma Mia! This one again has Amanda Seyfreid and Pierce Brosnan which gives me hope. Sadly Lily James does not.
Old 21st December 2017, 04:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I hate Abba with a vengeance.

Don't know why but i enjoyed Mamma Mia! This one again has Amanda Seyfreid and Pierce Brosnan which gives me hope. Sadly Lily James does not.

Same, except I haven’t seen Mamma Mia and I highly doubt I ever will, or any sequel

ABBA and Elvis are the only two musical acts I absolutely despise, sacrilege as that may be to some members

Oh, and the ****ing Bee Gees too
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 21st December 2017, 04:41 PM
Cult Veteran

I can happily live my life without Elvis haha
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st December 2017, 04:41 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I haven't seen Mamma Mia! That's not an intentional snub, it's just something I have made the effort to go out of my way to watch, or have caught it on TV at any point. Even though I like some Abba, I severely doubt I'll see the sequel.
keirarts likes this.
Old 21st December 2017, 04:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Same, except I haven’t seen Mamma Mia and I highly doubt I ever will, or any sequel

ABBA and Elvis are the only two musical acts I absolutely despise, sacrilege as that may be to some members

Oh, and the ****ing Bee Gees too
Total agreement about Abba and the Bee Gees! Hate them. Elvis not so bad, don't own any though and i'd never watch any of his films .
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!