Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th October 2020, 07:33 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Sleepy Hollow. 1999

Ichabob Crane is sent to the small village of Sleepy Hollow to investigate three decapitations with the culprit being the local apparition "The Headless Horseman.

Tim Burton was just as good as they come to create such a gothic atmosphere based on the story The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irvine and he manages to create the creepy village covered in a dense mist/fog even though the set is something you would find from a fairy tale or folklore.

Johnny Depp (a usual Burton cast) plays the policeman from New York who doesn't believe in ghosts until he sees the truth and still thinks it's make believe. Michael Gambon plays the town elder along with Jefferey Jones, Michael Gough and Ian McDiarmid and Richard Griffiths who persuade him to believe the legend along with Christina Ricci as the new interest and Christopher Walken as the headless horseman.

Burton's direction and focus is wonderfully mastered as the deaths may seem gruesome but never gone over the top, little blood splatter here and there but it's not sprayed everywhere with little twists and turns put in makes the film enjoyable to watch with a little bit of black humour at times that sees Crane as a tough nosed constable who seems a bit scared of his own shadow.

Attachment 228332

This along with Halloween 3 and The Fog always get watched this time of year.
Old 10th October 2020, 07:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
This along with Halloween 3 and The Fog always get watched this time of year.
I'm thinking of doing Halloween 1, 2, and 3 back to back at some point
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 10th October 2020, 07:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Day 9.

Mutated , super intelligent bats terrorize a small town. It's up to the sheriff and a group of scientists to try and stop them munching on the locals. Quite bloody in places . Enjoyable but forgettable . 6.5/10

Two brothers end up in a town full of hill Billy assholes, but that's only the start of their problems when the younger brother disappears and people start mutating into crazed toxic zombie cannibals . He teams up with a local waitress , the sheriff and a doctor to figure out what's going on. A enjoyable piece of zombie nonsense .what was it with the younger brother and his inability to fastening his shirt. 7/10

Tonight's viewings

Vampires vs the Bronx

Vampire in Brooklyn
Old 10th October 2020, 08:48 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 10

MV5BNWM0ODJiNzgtYzNlYS00ZjIxLWI1MzktMmIzOTc5OGZhOWE1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNjc5NjY@._V1_.jpg

80s anthology with three stories and plenty of that good old 80s cheese but is it a nice cheese or one of those cheeses that smells like feet and tastes like ass lets find out.

An uncle who is babysitting can't get the kid to sleep without telling him a few bedtime stories but this uncle puts his own twist on the story tales that may result in the poor child never sleeping again

The first story is about two witches and Peter who lures a cute blonde to them so they can sacrifice her. This story is not the best but there are some great makeup effects especially the body regenerating it looks brilliant even better the camera stays on the whole thing which makes it more impressive.

Next up we have an alternative modern take on Red Riding Hood. When red riding hood takes the wrong medication for her grandmother at the chemists the mix up causes the big bad wolf to visit the grandmother to get the meds that were supposed to be for him to stop him transforming. After an awkward sex scene the big bad wolf appears and things really start to get going with more great make up and gore effects.

Third and final story is Goldi Lox and the Three Bears. Mama Baer helps Papa Baer and Baby Baer escape from a mental asylum and the Bear gang return home to film Goldi Lox has moved into their house with a pile of corpses. This Goli Lox is a little different that the classic tale she has telekinetic powers so she joins the Baer gang after falling in love with Baby Baer.

This is a really really cheesy and so so 80s anthology but it's a lot of fun. There is some humor in all the stories but the uncle is the funniest part for me he is loving telling the stories and it seems like he is having more fun telling them for himself rather than the kid he is just so into the gore I absolutely loved the end of this film it really mad me laugh loud

7/10
Old 10th October 2020, 08:50 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
.what was it with the younger brother and his inability to fastening his shirt. 7/10

I thought the same when i watched it last week
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 10th October 2020, 09:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ghost Story. 1981.

Four friends for over 50 years called "The Chowder Society" tell each other ghost stories, unaware their past will come back to haunt them when the son of one of the group David dies mysteriously in a fall. The other Brother Donnie tells a tell of a women he met Alma that is connected to the group.

This one I watch every year either for Christmas or Halloween and never fails to get boring with a good starred cast and atmospheric moments that when I read the book years ago you could feel the atmosphere that peter Straub wrote about. The plot does wonder about a bit and tends to go off track then it does come back and still works out great with one or two jump scares, Worth a watch.

b.jpg
Old 10th October 2020, 11:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[REC]. 2007.

A television reporter and her cameraman follow the lives of the fire brigade on a night shift. When they get a call out to a building, what appears to be a routine call turns into a night of survival when a unknown plague is loose in the building and sealed off by officials.

This was and still is a superb piece of found footage horror film from Barcelona, that had me gripped to my seat when i first watched when it came out, ok it is subtitled but that doesn't stop the horror picking up from a slow pace to a atmospheric trip round a building with a disease to the climatic ending. Even though they may be unknown actors in this they do make it believable that you are in their nightmare and have you hoping they do get out, with plenty jump scares and tense moments.

rec-518ca2dc1f6a5.jpg
Old 11th October 2020, 01:06 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

[REC] 2. 2009.

A three man SWAT team go in to the building with a doctor of health ministry to assess what happened and find the answers to the contagion unaware the doctor's true intentions are.

This films starts off where the first film ends almost, when it was announced that this was getting made, this was one sequel I was looking forward to watching and it never disappointed, as you know what happened but don't know where the infected people are it is quite intense and expecting them to jump out but never happens and when they do you don't expect it. Filmed between to different set of characters that merge back into one film may seem stupid but it does work.

70123255.jpg
Old 11th October 2020, 10:48 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 9th

Lost Child (2017)

An army veteran returns home to the Ozarks and discovers a child in the woods. As she tries to find out where he is from a strange tale of superstition and abuse unravels.

A slow burning but intelligently told tale of ancient folklore and forest demons not to mention false narratives that is quite powerfully told. It's a beautifully acted piece that's also solidly directed and although the end result isn't really a horror film as such there's a sense of dread and unease throughout that had me enthralled.

Also released with the same artwork under the title Tatterdemalion.

Night of the Eagle (1962)

Not your typical sixties witchcraft movie as it lacks the normal genre tropes of black masses and virgin sacrifice. Instead what plays out is a slow-burn insight into witchcraft in the English countryside. The kind of witchcraft used to manipulate individuals rather than using it to invoke the Devil.

Nicely acted by Peter Wyngard (In perhaps the tightest trousers on film) and Janet Blair and exquisitely shot by Sydney Hayers This is more akin to Tourneur's Night of the Demon (1957) than it has with the ever more lurid horrors manifesting from Hammer at the time.
Old 11th October 2020, 11:17 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Horror Show (1989) ★★

Of the House films in the Arrow Video box set, this is the only one which doesn't feature any humour or levity, which is probably why the studios insisted on the title change.

With the film centring around a murderer killing from beyond the grave, it reminded me of Wes Craven's Shocker , The Exorcist III, and The Frighteners. Tonally, and some aspects of the narrative seem similar to Maniac Cop. It's not as accomplished or enjoyable as any of those films.

A major problem is the pacing – it's a ponderous film with long periods in which very little happens and the action, when it occurs, is not much of a reward for the wait. The main issue is with (pardon the pun) the execution because the tension is never maintained to the point where the violence is cathartic.

I wish there was more dark humour and fantasy, making this similar to the first House film because, as a 'straight' horror film, it seems an imaginative derivative.

House IV (1992) ★½

It's not a complete disaster, but it's not far off it. It takes a great deal of skill to balance comedy and horror so the film works as both and this isn't either.

I know the US healthcare system isn't overly generous to people on low incomes, but that doesn't quite explain why Laurel Cobb spends most of the film in a 19th-century wheelchair, nor why she appears to sleep on a feather-filled mattress.

The film lurches from goofy humour (a singing pizza) to psychological horror (a threatening message on a misted bathroom mirror) clumsily and, as mentioned above, neither scene is funny or scary. Unlike the first film in the series, at no point did the tone and feel remind me of Evil Dead 2, Shaun of the Dead or An American Werewolf in London.

The first three House films surpassed my expectations – this didn't.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 11th October 2020 at 12:51 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!