Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree27211Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
Cult Acolyte

Ec0XBO-WAAAYWML.jpg
THE MASK OF SATAN (1960)

Always a Halloween favourite of mine. Great atmospheric movie.

il_fullxfull.3050849897_10o2.jpg
DRACULA (1931)

Picked out by my Son as a first time watch. He really liked it. Only the third Universal horror he has seen.

s-l1600 (57).jpg
PHANTASM (1979)

Really enjoyed watching this through again. Takes me back to watching the TV spots at the time. Great soundtrack and movie poster.

s-l1600 (9).jpg
ZOMBIE FLESHEATERS (1979)

An absolute must watch. Best make up ever and a thumping score.

416-reHZ4qL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
CREEP (2004)

Picked out by my Son. Another winner. He really enjoyed the movie.
I had not seen this in a while myself so it was a good pick.

Texas Chainsaw.jpg
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974)

Another movie I had not seen in a long time. Marilyn Burns must be one of the greatest scream queens ever!

MV5BNjdjZTg0ZjMtYTAyYi00NTAxLWE5NzctYjcwZTFjNWJiZDc5XkEyXkFqcGc@._V1_.jpg
MARK OF THE DEVIL (1970)

Gruelling but great movie. Perfect for this time of year.
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

WITCH STORY - I saw this about two years ago and seem to remember being a bit 'meh' in my reaction and review. But there's a lot to be said for second chances in my horror-viewing world, particularly when it comes to films I have no good reason to dislike in the first place - in my case, anything from late eighties Italy shot within spitting distance of Miami usually gets a free pass. This time, it helped that I'd graduated from a crappy YT rip to the Vinegar Syndrome restoration, which, besides looking lovely overall, at least gets the framing and OAR right, things that make all the difference to my slightly too uptight visual sensibilities. As for the film, well OK, swansong Italian horror done in Miami, and for a little while the excruciating acting, poodle rock soundtrack and the feeling that we're in a world less authentic than an AI reconstruction of a sun cream commercial suggest nothing other than straight ahead Fimirage territory. It's not that however, there is no Joe D'Amato lurking shiftily on the periphery, 'Witch Story' is its own weirdly gothic beast. The action unfolds in a witch's house, where a bunch of slasher fodder student types hang out and say the most ridiculous things whilst wandering around and doing the occasional impromptu post-dinner party striptease; in the minds of the makers of 'Witch Story', only outbursts of the most rank stupidity will liven up the banality of plot and setting. The rapid escalation of silliness, whether that includes show stoppers where people get naked and force each other to eat salami at knife-point, or scenes in which tractors run over little ghosts, is offset by a barrage of candlelight and backlighting that looks like it belongs to a place with turrets and long corridors. It gets pretty gory, too. Plush, shadowy and ridiculous, 'Witch Story' is entirely my kind of thing and on this second meeting I really enjoyed this very ripe piece of trash.
Old Yesterday, 03:38 PM
Cult Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
6.DRACULA (1931)

Picked out by my Son as a first time watch. He really liked it. Only the third Universal horror he has seen
How old is your son?

If he is a youngster (i.e under 14) he has got a load of treats in front of him. However, if he is a bit older (say over 30) ... WHAT KIND OF PARENT ARE YOU?? LEAVING IT THIS LONG BEFORE INTRODUCING HIM TO CLASSIC HORRORS AND MONSTERS????

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old Yesterday, 05:28 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 12th

Night of the Eagle (1962)

Professor Norman Taylor seemingly has it all. A great job, envious colleagues and a happy home life. However Taylor discovers his wife Tansy is a witch who has been practicing witchcraft since their marriage, her spells seemingly helping Norman achieve his goals in life. When Norman insists on destroying Tansy's magical items events start to go very wrong indeed. Could there be more than just Tansy's witchcraft stirring up trouble.

Not your typical sixties witchcraft movie as it lacks the normal genre tropes of black masses and virgin sacrifice. Instead what plays out is a slow-burn insight into witchcraft in the English countryside. The kind of witchcraft used to manipulate individuals rather than using it to invoke the Devil.

Nicely acted by Peter Wyngard and Janet Blair and exquisitely shot by Sydney Hayers. This is more akin to Tourneur's classic duo Night of the Demon (1957) and I Walked With a Zombie (1943) than it has with the ever more lurid horrors manifesting from Hammer at the time.

Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943)

Wolf Man Larry Talbot ends up being resurrected when his tomb is disturbed and determined to put an end to his Lycanthropic curse goes in search of Baron Frankenstein for help. However all he finds is Frankenstein's daughter and worse his monster.

The first of the Universal monster mash films which is kinda disappointing as the two titans only battle for a few seconds at the end of the film. Lon Chaney Jr is once again good as Talbot but Bela Lugosi is no Karloff when it comes to portraying the monster. Lugosi isn't helped by the fact the monster when revived is blind - something which wasn't mentioned at all during the film. It's great that Maria Ouspenskaya returns as Maleva the gypsy woman from the original Wolf Man film
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vlcsnap-00122.jpg (43.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg meets-2.jpg (97.6 KB, 4 views)
Old Today, 09:28 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
How old is your son?

If he is a youngster (i.e under 14) he has got a load of treats in front of him. However, if he is a bit older (say over 30) ... WHAT KIND OF PARENT ARE YOU?? LEAVING IT THIS LONG BEFORE INTRODUCING HIM TO CLASSIC HORRORS AND MONSTERS????
He is coming on 29!

Thing is, up until now he has not been that interested in the classics.
I introduced him to DEMONS many years back and until now he has only really watched my 'splatter' movies.
So now, he is seeking out some Universal movies and has watched a few Hammer and Amicus films. He can only watch these movies when he visits me but has started a small collection now at his house. Better late than never.
Old Today, 10:18 AM
Cult Acolyte

71bKC1tn-QL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
VAMPYR (1932)

Atmospheric and dreamlike. Almost a silent movie with great imagery.

Horror-Hotel-poster.jpg
CITY OF THE DEAD (1960)

Rolling fog, witchcraft, a missing girl and a creepy old village. Great!

LEGEND OF.jpg
THE LEGEND OF HELL HOUSE (1973)

Good haunted house movie with some chilling scenes such as the figure under the bed covers and and the shadow in the shower.
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!