Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree4681Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

KKs Priest with Support from Tailgunner The Academy Dublin.

First off The Academy is my favorite venue in Dublin the sound is always spot on the venue is the perfect size no restricted view and the location is right bang in the city centre and it's a minutes walk to the tram stop to bring me back to my car for the nights I need to drive back anyway enough venue reviews this is a music review

Ok so with a lot of support acts I didn't know Tailgunner so before the announcement of their support so after a few listens I'm not on board the music sounds great but the vocals are very weak he just doesn't have the power to deliver the high pitched style he is going for and that's really holding the band back for me. During the gig the two guitarists kept doing these ridiculous shred sections it happened 3 times and believe me it wasn't impressive at all just like two cats scratching the strings on the guitars I felt sort of embarrassed for them cause they thought they were the b*ll*x and even more embarrassing was the fact a legend like KK was sitting back stage. The embarrassment hit a high when the singer came out and shouts we are here putting heavy metal back on the map then says welcome to the revolution and holds up a homemade sign with the words Welcome to the Revolution written on it and a tinfoil handle Highlight of their set was a cover of Dios don't talk to strangers but even that was ruined but sub par vocal performance.

Time for KK to show these whipper snappers how it's really done. The set list was the perfect balance of Priest and KK Priest songs the set is rip roaring HEAVY F**KING METAL start to finish. Ripper Owens voice is so powerful it doesn't even look like the man is even having to try he just opens his mouth and the most beautiful sound you have ever heard comes flowing out it's amazing. The band are so tight and working in perfect harmony it's a match made in heavy metal heaven or hell which ever sounds more metal . Ripper works the crowd perfectly just the right amount of chat without over doing it but it genuine no bs pandering for cheers the whole way through you can tell the band are loving life with big smiles on their faces. KK then does a solo showing the previous band how it's really done and showing us age means nothing. My only complaint was how tight is rubber pants were and with all his money surely he can afford boxers cause I got a face full of penis that showed way too much detail

If you get the chance to see KKs Priest do not hesitate absolutely amazing.

Obviously not extreme metal but I'll just post gigs here so WHATEVER
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

L.A. Guns supported KK's Priest on their stateside trek this year. Pity they didn't come over to Europe with them.

Tailgunner sound shit!
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
Cult Master

a3247645680_65 (1).jpeg

1349 released their new album The Kong and the Wolf earlier this month I'm only getting around to listening to it today so this is just a quick few thoughts after a couple of listens.

You know exactly what your going to get with 1349 and that's not a bad thing they are always consistent but they always make a few little tweaks here and there keeping things fresh whilst keeping things familiar never a band that rests on it's laurels but you know this is 1349 right away.

Ravns vocals as strong as ever maybe even more crisp than previous albums the drumming is sublime but did I really even
have to mention that really now really . Archaon blasts out brilliant riff after brilliant riff and the bass of Seidemann is really brought to the front I love bass and any album gets an instant hell yes from me when bass is celebrated rather than hidden is the mix. But it's not all good sadly the song Inferior Pathways is bloody horrible that chorus is very very annoying Ravn sings Inferior Pathways 20 or 30 times it actually made me want to skip the song altogether he even appears to have developed an English gentleman's accent every time he says inferior pathways no I mean just for those two words and then after that track everything goes back to normal it's like I was trapped in a fever dream

The King and the Wolf is a great album I'm sure will get better with further listens these are just a few fresh raw thoughts but it slots in perfectly in and already fantastic discography.

Hopefully a tour next years.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
L.A. Guns supported KK's Priest on their stateside trek this year. Pity they didn't come over to Europe with them.

Tailgunner sound shit!
I would of loved to see LA Guns they still sound great live. What really pissed me off with Tailgunner apart from everything I already said was the crazy statements the singer was saying on stage of how they were gonna save heavy metal it was almost after every song.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM
Cult Master

Attachment 252990

Immortal have always been one of my top tier bands so getting a chance to be in the same room as the legend that is Abbath was a dream come true but was this a dream or a nightmare let find out......

The first of the support band was Sacriligia from Dublin great to see an Irish band supporting such a big act and holy sh!t did they show that they deserved the gig. This is black trash metal at its finest vocally evil and harsh musically fast as hell but plenty of groove it's not like mindless speed for the sake of speed. Check out their album The Triclavian Advent and EP Sold Under Sin their set was too short I wasn't ready for them to be done. Brilliant opener to the night.

The Crawling were the next band from Northern Ireland. I had only heard a few songs in preparation for seeing them so it was all new to me and I'll tell you right away I fell in love with this band. The are a doom death metal band you can hear some Paradise Lost influence for sure but they are 100% their own thing. You really need to check this band out again I could of listened to them for the night. An added bonus was that the guys in the band were really great down to earth people and their manager / merch buy who I all met at their merch booth. Check them out on YouTube they do these great blog videos documenting their tours it's pretty funny too just like my own car their van keeps breaking down and hilarity ensues

You could taste the tension and the expectancy while waiting for Abbath to get on the stage and in typical rock star fashion he made us wait granted it was 10 minutes but it felt like an eternity he walked on stage holding a can and people were genuinely nervous until he took a swig and it was shown to be a can of liquid death thank fook for that. Abbath is amazing it's as simple as that he just has a aura about him he was having a great time he was smiling and happy he interacted with the crowd and his band but he was constantly playing himself down and putting all the focus on his band members which was great just cause the band is called Abbath it's still a band not just him. Belting out Immortal classic after Immortal classic I had chills all night I never thought I would ever get to hear Immortal live well at least the songs anyway I have goosebumps just reliving it now. He sounded perfect just like on record and as a guitar player I have always find he is criminally underrated he has been goofy in the past and he still is but that's the charm of Abbath he doesn't take himself too serious and that makes him more relatable and more likeable but this man is a serious musician I absolutely love him. Also he looked at me now I know what those girls felt like the first time they saw Elvis or the Beatles inside I was screaming like a girl but outside I remained tough

Go see Abbath it's that simple.

Also check out the other two bands.

PXL_20240625_201010358.jpg PXL_20240625_191334973.jpg PXL_20240625_183144475.MP.jpg PXL_20240625_201028957.jpg

As you can see he was clearly looking right at me
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Seeing Abbath on the stage via your pics, Nordy, he does remind me of Gene Simmons.

I'll get my coat.
Justin101 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 06:34 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Seeing Abbath on the stage via your pics, Nordy, he does remind me of Gene Simmons.

I'll get my coat.
He does have the stance of Gene Simmons and the hair looks the same
Justin101 likes this.
Old Yesterday, 09:56 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Tankard - Empty Tankard

Zombie Attack (1986)
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post

As you can see he was clearly looking right at me
That's one scary looking racoon
Nordicdusk likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old Today, 07:42 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That's one scary looking racoon
Think I'd be quite happy if I found him rummaging through my bins

Like this? Share it using the links below!