Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Music
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree124Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th April 2015, 11:08 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I have one of David McCallum's records. Tis somewhat of a jazz thing, though not as abrasive as me Albert Ayler stuff haha.

I should play my records more often really, but since most of it is atonal sturm and drang or ABBA, I find the neighbours give me weird looks after.

Last movie related purchase was the Love Bites ST, twas in lovely nick, though I won't be playing it often ahem.

I also have various Clockwork Orange related records, including a Walter Carlos 7"!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 21st April 2015, 09:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Not sure if anyone has an Urban Outfitters store near them but if you do you might want to check your store to see if it has an LP section. I know the one in Brighton does and it currently stocks lots of cool LP film soundtracks like Terminator 2, Drive, Jurassic Park, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and a few others I can't remember.

Check out my wife and I's new travel blog www.wepackedourbags.com

My entire Blu Collection for sale: https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/dvd...tion-sale.html
Old 29th April 2015, 04:02 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default The Top 40 Vinyl Album Chart (26 April 2015)

Official biggest-selling vinyl albums of first quarter 2015

Chasing Yesterday – Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Birds
Physical Graffiti – Led Zeppelin
AM – Arctic Monkeys
Royal Blood – Royal Blood
The Race for Space – Public Service Broadcasting
Shadows in the Night – Bob Dylan
The Dark Side of the Moon – Pink Floyd
Lost in the Dream – War on Drugs
Happy People – Peace
Four Symbols – Led Zeppelin

The Top 40 Vinyl Album Chart (26 April 2015)

1. Alabama Shakes - Sound And Color
The second album from the band from Athens, Alabama, following up 2012's Boys And Girls, which spawned the hit Hold On.

Biffy Clyro - Puzzle 2. Biffy Clyro - Puzzle
Also reissued for Record Store Day 2015 as a nice vinyl edition, the trio's fourth album from 2007 includes the hits Who's Got A Match and Living Is A Problem Because Everything Dies.

Sufjan Stevens - Carrie And Lowell 3. Sufjan Stevens - Carrie And Lowell
The alt.rock favourite from Detroit, Michigan released his seventh studio album at the tail end of March, 2015. It's already proving incredibly popular on vinyl.

Noel Gallagher - Chasing Yesterday 4. Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Chasing Yesterday
Record Store Day 2015 has pushed Noel's second solo album down the ranking a little bit, but Chasing Yesterday is still a big seller on vinyl.

Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible 5. Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
A special 20th anniversary picture disc of the classic album was released for Record Store Day 2015... and it's pushed the LP to the top of the vinyl charts.

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses album cover 6. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
The all-time classic debut from 1989, featuring such killer cuts as I Wanna Be Adored, Waterfall and She Bangs The Drums. A fine artefact to have on vinyl.

Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks 7. Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks
The legendary punk band's one and only studio album was reissued as a lovely picture disc for Record Store Day 2015.

Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon (1973) 8. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon
The all-time classic 1973 Floyd album - a perfect piece of vinyl, housed in a brilliant Storm Thorgerson sleeve design.

Neon Waltz - First Light 9. Neon Waltz - First Light
The Scottish psychedelic indie rock six-piece have released a collection of demos and live tracks recorded before they sign to Atlantic Records.

Rush - A Farewell To Kings 10. Rush - A Farewell To Kings
Classic 1977 prog rock from the Canadian band best known for their hit Spirit Of Radio. This outing includes the track Closer To The Heart.

Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills And Bellyaches 11. Happy Mondays - Pills 'N' Thrills And Bellyaches
A coloured vinyl edition of the Mondays' 1990 album for Record Store Day, featuring the hits Step On and Kinky Afro.

Siouxsie And The Banshees - Join Hands 12. Siouxsie And The Banshees - Join Hands
The post-punkers' influential 1979 album has been re-pressed for Record Store Day with a revised running order and the artwork it was originally supposed to have boasted.

Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space 13. Public Service Broadcasting - The Race For Space
Still popular on vinyl, the London electronica duo's musical look at the history of the space shot in the 1950s to 1970s.

Squarepusher - Damogen Furies 14. Squarepusher - Damogen Furies
Drum 'n' bass veteran Tom Jenkinson's fourteenth album as Squarepusher, featuring such finely-titled tunes as Stor Eiglass and Exjag Nives.

The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy 15. The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy
It's been six long years since the veteran dance combo released their last album - their latest is a stunning return to form.

The Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake 16. The Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake
Steve Marriott's quirky and humorous 1968 concept album is another vinyl favourite - mainly down to its distinctive circular sleeve.

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti 17. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
The sixth album from the hard rock behemoth, released in 1975 and featuring the classics In My Time Of Dying, Kashmir and Trampled Underfoot.

Paul Simon - The Ultimate Collection 18. Paul Simon - The Ultimate Collection
A fine selection of tunes from the diminutive songwriter, dating back to his days with Art Garfunkel, through to the million-selling Graceland album.

Led Zeppelin - IV 19. Led Zeppelin - IV
AKA Four Symbols, or "Zoso" depending on your point of view, this is the classic that features the legendary guitar player's anthem Stairway To Heaven.

Ed Sheeran - X 20. Ed Sheeran - X
The second album from young Mr Sheeran, hitting number one and giving him the springboard into superstar status.

John Grant - John Grant And The BBC Philharmonic O 21. John Grant - John Grant And The BBC Philharmonic Orchestra
The American singer songwriter recorded a special set in Salford late last year... and the results have been selling incredibly well.

Erasure - Remixes 22. Erasure - Remixes
Another Record Store Day edition - a special limited-edition 12" EP of remixes from their current album The Violet Flame on red vinyl.

The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan 23. The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan
Can it really be a whole decade since Jack and Meg released their fifth album? This classic contains the singles Blue Orchid and My Doorbell.

James Bay - Chaos And The Calm 24. James Bay - Chaos And The Calm
The singer-songwriter from Hitchin notched up a BRIT Critics Choice award for his debut album and it's proving a strong seller on vinyl.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours 25. Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
The classic 1977 album remastered on vinyl, featuring the hits Dreams, Go Your Own Way, and - of course - the theme tune to Top Gear.

Sex Pistols - Spunk 26. Sex Pistols - Spunk
This charmingly-named semi-official collection of demos and bits and bobs is still a favourite on vinyl, complete with fake "bootleg" sleeve.

The Doors - Strange Days 27. The Doors - Strange Days
Another Record Store Day special edition - the band's second album fro, 1967, featuring Love Me Two Times and People Are Strange.

Roger Taylor - Fun In Space 28. Roger Taylor - Fun In Space
The vinyl chart still has a few surprises up its sleeve - here's the Queen drummer's debut solo album from 1981, featuring a great piece of cover artwork.

Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit And Think And S 29. Courtney Barnett - Sometimes I Sit And Think And Sometimes I Just Sit
The Melbournian singer-songwriter has gained much acclaim for her witty, idiosyncratic debut album; Pedestrian At Best is one of the highlights.

David Bowie - 1966 30. David Bowie - 1966
A collection of the superstar's early, occasionally cringe-worthy material was pressed as a special vinyl edition for Record Store Day.

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am cover 31. Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not
The Monkeys' debut album from 2006, featuring the hits I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, Mardy Bum and Fake Tales Of San Francisco.

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black 32. Amy Winehouse - Back To Black
Incredibly, Amy Winehouse only released two studio albums in her lifetime - this is the second and final one, from 2011.

Gov't Mule - Stoned Side Of The Mule 33. Gov't Mule - Stoned Side Of The Mule, Vol 1 and 2
The Allman Brothers band spin-off have released highlights from a 2009 show in Philadelphia as a limited edition vinyl release.

Roger Taylor - Strange Frontier 34. Roger Taylor - Strange Frontier
Another solo album from the Queen drummer makes the vinyl Top 40. This outing hails from 1984 and includes a cover of Dylan's Masters Of War.

Arctic Monkeys - AM 35. Arctic Monkeys - AM
The fifth album from the Sheffield boys was released two years ago and is still the biggest selling album on vinyl of the decade so far.

Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Asunder Sweet And Ot 36. Godspeed You Black Emperor! - Asunder Sweet And Other Distress
The fifth album from the Canadian post-rockers, and the follow-up to 2012's Allelujah! Don't Bend! Ascend! Crazy name, crazy guys.

Bjork - Vulnicura 37. Bjork - Vulnicura
The ninth album from Ms Guðmundsdóttir, released digitally back in January, but still popular on good old analogue vinyl.

Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear 38. Father John Misty - I Love Yo Honeybear
J. Tillman's second album under the Father John Misty moniker, released via the legendary label Sub Pop and featuring the single Bored In The USA.

Red House Painters - box set 39. Red House Painters - Box Set
A collection of six albums by Mark Kozelek's influential indie rock band, plus a special EP, released for Record Store Day 2015.

Eels - Royal Albert Hall 40. Eels - Royal Albert Hall
A lavish and really rather splendid triple vinyl document of Mr E's beautiful gig at London's Royal Albert Hall on 30 June 2014.

Old 29th April 2015, 04:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Whats the most anyone here has paid for a vinyl ? When buying older records do you try and get original pressings or are you just happy with having the album on vinyl ?
Old 29th April 2015, 04:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Trapped me Love Bites under the door!!
Don't ask ahem.
Cover now a bit er, worn, though record itself survived. Need a new LP box methinks!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th April 2015, 04:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Whats the most anyone here has paid for a vinyl ? When buying older records do you try and get original pressings or are you just happy with having the album on vinyl ?
I would say nowadays it doesn't really matter as it can take endless searching for an original pressing.

Personally if i could get an original that's what i'd go for just for it's collectible value.

By the way the latest fad of saying it's 180gram vinyl is a bit of marketing bollocks. It doesn't matter how heavy the vinyl.

The best sound comes from the deeper grooves so it's all a question of the pressing not the weight of the plastic. A new release of Dark Side of the Moon won't sound any better than an original album...but it may sound a little worse.
Old 29th April 2015, 04:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

True enough. I have 7" singles that are "heavier" then some of these things.......
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
Old 29th April 2015, 04:17 PM
Cult Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Whats the most anyone here has paid for a vinyl ?
Back in the day, when albums cost £4:99 - £6:99, I paid £30:00 for the imported version of the Hanoi Rocks LP 'All Those Wasted Years' live, double LP

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 29th April 2015, 04:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Back in the day, when albums cost £4:99 - £6:99, I paid £30:00 for the imported version of the Hanoi Rocks LP 'All Those Wasted Years' live, double LP
I paid a whopping £24 for the album Heaven or Hollywood by Uncle Sam.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 29th April 2015, 04:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

£19.75 for a copy of "Psychic...Powerless...Another Man's Sac" by Butthole Surfers, twas an import at the time, but the local shop had a knack of getting outre stuff.......

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!