Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The 88 Films Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/11297-88-films-thread.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th August 2023 09:44 PM

Definitely Blood on Satan's Claw. 100%

It's part of their deal with Screenbound.

Must be 4K because Screenbound's own Blu-ray of it is an awesome package.

Stephen@Cult Labs 25th August 2023 09:46 PM

Yep, I suggested The Crow: City of Angels (no way Disney would let them have the first movie [emoji23])

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th August 2023 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 689790)
Yep, I suggested The Crow: City of Angels (no way Disney would let them have the first movie [emoji23])

That would have been good actually.

For a film that was such a cult phenomenon at the time it and it's albeit not as good but still enjoyable sequels have been unfairly ignored on Blu-ray in my eyes.

will graham 26th August 2023 05:01 PM

Right to first crow might be with Warner bros.

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th August 2023 07:16 PM

The Flesh and Blood Show has been pushed back months into 2024 now.

Full spec.

Celebrated as the ‘Godfather of British Horror’, Pete Walker is one of the most controversial exploitation filmmakers of the ‘60s and ‘70s. Graduating from saucy sex comedies and gangland dramas, Walker finally found tabloid infamy making gore-splattered horror movies (or “terror movies” as he preferred to call them). His first X-rated thriller Die Screaming, Marianne shocked audiences, and subsequent films like House of Whipcord established his reputation for sadistic and bloody horror, cementing his status as the biggest cult British filmmaker of his generation.

Now for the very first time, Walker’s seventies’ horror movies are collected on Blu-ray in this terrifying new box-set, starring a host of famous faces: Robin Askwith (Horror Hospital), Stephanie Beacham (Inseminoid), Ann Michelle (Virgin Witch), Susan Penhaligon (The Uncanny), Luan Peter (Hammer’s Lust for a Vampire) and his favourite actress, and omnipresent ‘scary old lady’, Sheila Keith. The Pete Walker Heritage Collection brings together Die Screaming, Marianne (1971), The Flesh and Blood Show (1972), House of Whipcord (1974), Frightmare (1974), House of Mortal Sin (1976) Schizo (1977) and The Comeback (1978), all presented here in restored masters, and featuring a scary array of exclusive extras, including brand-new interviews with Walker himself.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS INCLUDE

Rigid Slipcase to House 7 11mm Black Blu-ray case with artwork by Sean "Barbenheimer" Longmore
40 Page Perfect Bound book featuring essays by Simon Sheridan, Barry Forshaw and Jon Towlson
8 Collectible Original Artwork Postcards
2 Pairs of 3D Glasses

DISC 1 - DIE SCREAMING, MARIANNE [1971 - 101 mins]

Brand NEW 2K Remaster from the Original Camera Negative
High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation in 1.66:1 Aspect Ratio
LPCM 2.0 Dual Mono Soundtrack
Optional English SDH Subtitles
Audio Commentary with Film Critic Samm Deighan
Audio commentary with director/producer Pete Walker, and English Gothic Author Jonathan Rigby (2006)
Tales of Terror - An Interview with Director Pete Walker
Norman Langley on Die Screaming, Marianne
Original Trailer
Reversible cover with new art by Sean Longmore

DISC 2 - THE FLESH AND BLOOD SHOW [1972 - 96 mins]

Restored HD Master
3D Sequence Presented in both Anaglyph 3D (2 Pairs of Glasses Included) and in 2D
Audio Commentary with Author Jonathan Rigby and Critic Kevin Lyons
Audio Commentary by director/producer Pete Walker, and "English Gothic" author Jonathan Rigby (2006)
The Flesh Show - An Interview with Actor Stewart Bevin
The Blood Show - An Interview with 3rd assistant Director Terry Madden
Original Trailer

DISC 3 - HOUSE OF WHIPCORD [1974 - 103 mins]

Audio Commentary with Film Critics Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw and Writer David McGillivray
Audio commentary with director / producer / co-writer Pete Walker, and director of photography Peter Jessop; moderated by biographer Professor Steven Chibnall (2006)
Courting Controversy - An Insider’s View of the Films of Pete Walker - 2023 Version
House of Walker - Interview with Director Pete Walker
Return to the House of Whipcord
Sheila Keith - A Nice Old Lady? - 2023 Version
Original Trailer

DISC 4 - FRIGHTMARE [1974 - 87 mins]

Restored HD Master
Audio Commentary with Film Critics Kim Newman and Barry Forshaw and Writer David McGillivray
Audio Commentary with British Horror Experts Nathaniel Thompson and Troy Howarth
Audio Commentary with director / producer / co-writer Pete Walker, and director of photography Peter Jessop; moderated by biographer Professor Steven Chibnall (2006)
Editor Robert Dearberg on Frightmare
Original Trailer

DISC 5 - HOUSE OF MORTAL SIN [1976 - 104 mins]

Audio Commentary with Film Critic Samm Deighan
Audio commentary with Pete Walker and moderator Jonathan Rigby (2006)
Symphony of Horror - Interview with Director Pete Walker
Actor Confessionals - Interview with Actors Norman Eshlen and Stewart Bevan

DISC 6 - SCHIZO [1976 - 109 mins]

Restored HD Master
High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio

Ask Mr Walker - Interview with Director Pete Walker

DISC 7 - THE COMEBACK [1978 - 100 mins]

Restored HD Master
High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray™ presentation in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
Audio Commentary by director/producer Pete Walker, and "English Gothic" author Jonathan Rigby (2006)
Walker’s Women - Interview with Director Pete Walker
The Making of The Comeback
Original Trailer

Nuno_Miranda 27th August 2023 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 689788)
People are suggesting it's 'Blood On Satan's Claw', 'Opera', 'Damien: Omen 2' or 'The Crow' / 'The Crow: City Of Angels'

If The Crow/The Crow: City of Angels, count me in, my DVDs are long overdue for an upgrade.

peter alex 27th August 2023 09:12 PM

no warner owns the crow and Miramax owns the crow: city of angels cult films still owns the rights to Dario Argento's opera and since the Pete walker films were released by Odeon and so was Blood on Satan's Claw and if you look at the image of the crow and someone on Facebook Put up some screengrabs from blood on Satan's claw and one of the images is of a crow and it matches perfectly and as since they are releasing The Witchfinder general that too was released by Odeon Damien: Omen 2 I wish but that's also with warner.

Susan Foreman 21st September 2023 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"After 18 months in the restoration pipeline, we are now very, very close to finishing our 4K UHD Dolby Vision master of the great Jess Franco’s Count Dracula from the original, original negatives that were located Indiana Jones style in a temple of doom somewhere near Bucharest….. probably….. Once we’d cleaned all the blood off, the quality was startling! In fact so good, we decided it doesn’t need many extras so welcome to our amazing, budget friendly 1 disc edition, coming to very soon to DVD!"

So... is it a 4K release, a Blu-Ray release, a DVD release or some kind of combination??

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2023 09:16 PM

Now that's a lovely piece of art from Graham Humphreys. You can tell he took care over it and didn't simply vomit a load of faces onto his canvas.

Justin101 21st September 2023 09:19 PM

I can’t wait to get that. I was going to import the Severin one so this release probably saves me at least £15

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2023 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 690938)
I can’t wait to get that. I was going to import the Severin one so this release probably saves me at least £15

You hope. :lol:

Be thankful it ain't Second Sight.

Have you seen the price of their three film Ginger Snaps set? £55.

Fecking daylight robbery for three films.

Justin101 21st September 2023 09:33 PM

There is no way I’d pay £55 for ginger snaps, I’ve got the dvd lol :)

Count Dracula will be £25 I think.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2023 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 690942)
There is no way I’d pay £55 for ginger snaps, I’ve got the dvd lol :)

Count Dracula will be £25 I think.

Doesn't appear to be a limited edition so i can wait until it's a more Blu-ray, as opposed to 4K, (Which i can't play) friendly price.

Rob4 21st September 2023 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 690938)

Probably my least favourite Jess. I wonder if the restoration will make me feel any different? I won't be paying UHD money to find out :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2023 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 690944)
Probably my least favourite Jess. I wonder if the restoration will make me feel any different? I won't be paying UHD money to find out :lol:

The Severin restoration isn't over impressive so i'm lead to believe.

I wonder how this will improve on that?

I actually think it's quite a good film. Probably Franco's best for Towers. It just lacks in budget which is a pity.

Justin101 21st September 2023 10:08 PM

I imagine it’s a co-production and they’ll look pretty similar.

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2023 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 690946)
I imagine it’s a co-production and they’ll look pretty similar.

The OP suggests it's brand new don't you think?

Justin101 21st September 2023 10:11 PM

It is brand new the Severin isn’t out yet!

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st September 2023 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 690948)
It is brand new the Severin isn’t out yet!

Ah right. When you said you were going to import the Severin one i (wrongly) assumed it was already available. :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd September 2023 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 690933)
"After 18 months in the restoration pipeline, we are now very, very close to finishing our 4K UHD Dolby Vision master of the great Jess Franco’s Count Dracula from the original, original negatives that were located Indiana Jones style in a temple of doom somewhere near Bucharest….. probably….. Once we’d cleaned all the blood off, the quality was startling! In fact so good, we decided it doesn’t need many extras so welcome to our amazing, budget friendly 1 disc edition, coming to very soon to DVD!"

So... is it a 4K release, a Blu-Ray release, a DVD release or some kind of combination??

It's very odd that the image – with lovely new artwork – has "4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray" at the top but the announcement from 88 Films says "coming to [sic] very soon to DVD".

Previous 4K Ultra HD releases like Zombie Holocaust and Ark of the Sun God have subsequently had separate Blu-ray releases, but none have been put out only on DVD. My guess is that it's a typo or a genuine mistake.

Justin101 22nd September 2023 12:12 PM

I think it’s an attempt at humour Nos lol

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd September 2023 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 690958)
I think it’s an attempt at humour Nos lol

That was another option, but I thought it was too obvious.

Looking at the database of my collection, it doesn't look like they've sold DVDs since 2019. I think the last release with a DVD was the dual format Swamp Thing (25/03/2019), after Eyeball (27/08/2018) and Iris: The Movie (13/08/2018).

Justin101 22nd September 2023 01:25 PM

I also think that it’s going to pretty stacked with features too, considering that the Severin version is 4 discs including a soundtrack CD. We’ll see though!

Susan Foreman 22nd September 2023 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 689526)
'Battle Creek Brawl' (1980) - Deluxe Collector's Edition Blu-Ray pre-order available from 88Films direct - £24:00

Release date: October 9

"Now being released on October 23rd due to a delay in slipcase printing!"

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 22nd September 2023 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 690960)
I also think that it’s going to pretty stacked with features too, considering that the Severin version is 4 discs including a soundtrack CD. We’ll see though!

The 'single disc' comment seemed like a deliberate understatement, possibly alluding to an equivalent release to the Severin package – I hope that's the case and this is a 'must buy' bells and whistles release.

Susan Foreman 27th September 2023 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 684703)
From FB:

"Hi everyone, sorry for for the lack of "official" reaction to the complaints about our Hell of the Living Dead BD/UHD release.

We have taken them seriously although it has taken time to work out the best way to address them, but we have been busily getting them addressed and yesterday we viewed a new Dolby Vision HDR regraded version with the English audio synch tidied up and its definitely much better now.

So, we are going to go ahead and reprint these discs with the revised master and implement a replacement programme. We haven't worked out the best way to do this yet bit will obviously let you know once we have the discs in hand in (could still be a few months due to compression, authoring. check disc approval, printing etc).#

If you have bought this from us directly (or do buy it from us until the new versions are in ) we will figure out a way to send these to you automatically so you wont need to contact us.

Please don't contact us yet with proof of purchase etc as we are not
setup to take these details down yet.

Thanks for your patience and honestly we do listen and want to do them best we can, sorry this one has had to take a second go at to get right.

n.b. We are also planning to do the same with House on the Edge of the Park but that one is quite a bit more involved to get the framing perfect as we'll need to start from scratch basically and it will take a while.)"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 688278)

"Replacement Scheme is underway!!

Hell of the Living Dead discs should be going out very soon

You will not receive a shipping notification but sending us your proof of purchase would have secured your place on our mail out list (unless told otherwise)"

Susan Foreman 6th October 2023 10:22 AM

https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/page...bio-oct23promo

Susan Foreman 10th October 2023 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 689514)
'The Medallion' (2003) - Blu-Ray coming soon from 88Films

Release date: October 23

"The Medallion - Release Date Change

Unfortunately we haven't quite managed to get The Medallion ready for end of October. The new and confirmed release date is 13th November (2023!). Sorry about that but to be fair, you knew it was coming...."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 689514)
Extras TBA

• Limited Edition Slipcase
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation in 1.85:1 Aspect Ratio
  • 5.1 English DTS-HD Master Surround Audio
  • 2.0 English LPCM Stereo Audio
  • Audio commentary by producer Bill Borden and editor Don Brocho
  • Alternate Ending
  • 14 Deleted Scenes
  • Theatrical Trailer

peter alex 10th October 2023 08:08 PM

that's all there is on the disc cause they weren't allowed to do anything with it that's why there is no new special features or no reverse cover for it' they only have the film for a year it's a bad film not in a good way.

Justin101 11th October 2023 07:57 AM

I like The Medallion personally :lol: Lee Evans :lol:

peter alex 12th October 2023 05:09 PM

88 films are releasing Silent Rage with Chuck Norris on November 27 according to blu-ray.com but as we know most of 88films releases have been pushed back about a month or two.

Susan Foreman 13th October 2023 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 684703)
From FB:

"Hi everyone, sorry for for the lack of "official" reaction to the complaints about our Hell of the Living Dead BD/UHD release.

We have taken them seriously although it has taken time to work out the best way to address them, but we have been busily getting them addressed and yesterday we viewed a new Dolby Vision HDR regraded version with the English audio synch tidied up and its definitely much better now.

So, we are going to go ahead and reprint these discs with the revised master and implement a replacement programme. We haven't worked out the best way to do this yet bit will obviously let you know once we have the discs in hand in (could still be a few months due to compression, authoring. check disc approval, printing etc).#

If you have bought this from us directly (or do buy it from us until the new versions are in ) we will figure out a way to send these to you automatically so you wont need to contact us.

Please don't contact us yet with proof of purchase etc as we are not
setup to take these details down yet.

Thanks for your patience and honestly we do listen and want to do them best we can, sorry this one has had to take a second go at to get right."

"Hell of the Living Dead Replacement Update

Hi, all of our initial UK discs were sent out at the end of September.
If you have registered your interest for a replacement since then, they will go out in a few weeks time when House on the edge of the Park is also ready.

If you think you should have received one but haven't yet, please contact the lovely Skye at orders@88films.co.uk and she'll be able to help. (Office hours only Mon - Fri 10-5)

International replacements are starting to go out today and will finish early next week. Please allow upto a month for delivery.
Again if you asked to be added after the end of September, they will go out in a few weeks time.

None of the old release is available from our warehouse or from our website now so if you buy from us directly it will be the new version.

If you buy from amazon etc look for the version with the September '23 release date, NOT the February date.

If you are browsing in HMV say, the new ones don't have slipcase, there are other minor differences as well but that's the simplest way to tell. Obviously you could buy the old one and post us the discs back if wanted to but there shouldn't be too many about now.

Just a reminder this replacement programme ends in March '24
Team 88"

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th October 2023 05:10 PM

I bought this direct from 88 Films and received an envelope with the new 4K Ultra HD and Blu-ray discs over a fortnight ago, so I can't fault them for the way they have supported their own customers.

Nuno_Miranda 23rd October 2023 09:14 AM

No idea where to put this, so here goes, because 88 Films (after Severin) were the last to release "The Bloody Judge" (1970), which was filmed in Portugal. I just found this wonderful 1969 footage in the RTP archive that may be of interest to future releases, as an extra. It's 6+ minutes, no sound, of filming on location in Leiria and Batalha. I doubt anybody has seen this outside Portugal... :D

https://arquivos.rtp.pt/conteudos/fi...ria-e-batalha/

Susan Foreman 24th October 2023 04:41 PM

Apparently some new titles have been added to the sale

Susan Foreman 3rd November 2023 05:42 PM

Sale on at the 88Films site

"Sale is now live, most things are discounted, pre-orders are not included, we will be tipping up with stick and we go but this takes unto 10 days now so please be patient *

You can acquire reward points but you can't spend them for the duration of the sale I'm afraid,

Plan is to end it at the end of the month but that it subject to change and we may not run it for that long."

* Presumably this should read: Sale is now live, most things are discounted, pre-orders are not included, we will be TOPPING up with STOCK AS we go but this takes UPTO 10 days now so please be patient.

Susan Foreman 7th November 2023 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Random re-press announcement of the day!

'Hollow Man' 3 Disc Super Collectors edition is now back and will be available to order in all the usual places very soon"

Susan Foreman 16th November 2023 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
"Our Q1 2024 titles will be announced soon, on a random day, at a random time

Here is a still from a film not coming in Q1"

Apparently it's 'Magnificent Bodyguards'!

Dave 16th November 2023 11:11 AM

New releases available for preorder on Amazon

Count Dracula
https://amzn.eu/d/jjUxPHV - 4k
https://amzn.eu/d/fH5Xngx - Blu-ray

A Blade in the Dark
https://amzn.eu/d/1cQD68S - 4k
https://amzn.eu/d/i0OXH8m - Blu-ray

Blood on Satan’s Claw
https://amzn.eu/d/9veV4V9 - 4k
https://amzn.eu/d/6lgwOHU - Blu-ray

Witchfinder General
https://amzn.eu/d/60PyqfJ - 4k
https://amzn.eu/d/hSDFEPy - Blu-ray

The Inspector Wears Skirts 2
https://amzn.eu/d/1jj1OMM

The Beauty of Beauties
https://amzn.eu/d/2vrysmm

Street Law
https://amzn.eu/d/5i5wbH9

The Amityville Horror
https://amzn.eu/d/1iX5K1p - 4k
https://amzn.eu/d/bqw68nZ - Blu-ray

Gold
https://amzn.eu/d/ajaEvuT

So Close
https://amzn.eu/d/2ImzSYA

Evil Dead Trap
https://amzn.eu/d/bZHh9qt

Evil Dead Trap 2 - Hideki
https://amzn.eu/d/ejROw1B

Tokyo Decadence
https://amzn.eu/d/jlf2AAU

S.W.A.T.
https://amzn.eu/d/cunzVgm

Night of the Comet
https://amzn.eu/d/8LfDJYq

Loch Ness
https://amzn.eu/d/f5DIKw6

Mosquito Squadron
https://amzn.eu/d/21g0mll

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th November 2023 12:09 PM

Some bizarre choices there like Loch Ness, S.W.A.T. and Mosquito Squadron.

Although i'm delighted about Mosquito Squadron.

What are the chances Evil Dead Trap will be uncut? Will all previous cuts be waived?

As for Witchfinder General and Blood on Satan's Claw. I'll be sticking with my Screenbound Blu's which look glorious anyway. Especially as Claw is missing the League of Gentlemen commentary.