LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th August 2012, 02:14 PM
Active Cultist

BLOOD MANIA/LAND OF THE MINOTAUR at DVD Drive-In
bdc likes this.
Old 6th August 2012, 02:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

"BLOOD MANIA, on the other hand, is an attractive new progressive, anamorphic widescreen (1.78:1) transfer. Colors are gorgeous and the contrasts of Maxwell’s lighting are well-served throughout."
I'm a bit confused by this as some people wrote on forums it looked like the same transfer as the old editions?
I haven't watched it yet,maybe they were wrong?
Old 6th August 2012, 03:07 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
"BLOOD MANIA, on the other hand, is an attractive new progressive, anamorphic widescreen (1.78:1) transfer. Colors are gorgeous and the contrasts of Maxwell’s lighting are well-served throughout."
I'm a bit confused by this as some people wrote on forums it looked like the same transfer as the old editions?
I haven't watched it yet,maybe they were wrong?
The only other version I've seen is the Rhino version. Was the version that appeared in some of the BCI sets widescreen?
Old 6th August 2012, 03:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I think they said it looked the same as the BCI/Mill Creek.

Bill also never mentioned a new transfer would be made,but it's possible of course.

I'll have to check...

Last edited by bdc; 6th August 2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 6th August 2012, 03:20 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
I think they said it look the same as the BCI/Mill Creek.

Bill also never mentioned a new transfer would be made,but it's possible of course.

I'll have to check...
I assumed the BCI/Mill Creek editions were the older open matte master (although I've heard - but never had confirmed - that the Mill Creek set POINT OF TERROR is also widescreen).
Old 6th August 2012, 03:21 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Found an old review of BCI's Drive-In Cult Classics Vol. 3.
Of course they put 8 films on 2 flippers so I guess the data would be more compressed?
But it's anamorphic widescreen.

Drive-In Cult Classics Vol. 3 (The Pom Pom Girls, Malibu Beach, Van Nuys Blvd., Blood Mania, The Babysitter, Pink Angels, MORE!) : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

Btw I think Bill was planning to release Blood Mania on it's own with some exclusive extras originally?
But seems extras were hard to do for these Crown titles...he commented on that once.
At least he was able to arrange an exclusive commentary track,maybe he thought a new transfer wouldn't look much better or there were no better materials?
Old 6th August 2012, 03:25 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Found an old review of BCI's Drive-In Cult Classics Vol. 3.
Of course they put 8 films on 2 flippers so I guess the transfer would be more compressed?
But it's anamorphic widescreen.

Drive-In Cult Classics Vol. 3 (The Pom Pom Girls, Malibu Beach, Van Nuys Blvd., Blood Mania, The Babysitter, Pink Angels, MORE!) : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

Btw I think Bill was planning to release Blood Mania on it's own with some extras originally?
But seems extras were hard to do for these Crown titles...he commented on that once.
Wonder if LURKERS and PRIME EVIL got an anamorphic upgrade (on disc,that is, I'm pretty sure the streaming version of PRIME EVIL is 16:9)
Old 6th August 2012, 03:38 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I've read Crown's materials were only so-so for some films and they even didn't have anything remotely decent for some others.

To answer your question...

The Gorehouse Greats Collection : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

"Prime Evil looks okay in its anamorphic 1.85.1 widescreen presentation, it's reasonably clean, despite some annoying compression artifacts and some distracting smearing."

Don't know about Lurkers.

I do know that some film's versions included in the BCI sets and the later Mill Creek sets can be different though.

For instance The Sidehackers has a widescreen transfer on BCI's old Fast Cars, Bikers & Babes set but apparently not on the newer Mill Creek Savage Cinema set.
Old 6th August 2012, 03:43 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
I've read Crown's materials were only so-so for some films and they even didn't have anything remotely decent for some others.

To answer your question...

The Gorehouse Greats Collection : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video

"Prime Evil looks okay in its anamorphic 1.85.1 widescreen presentation, it's reasonably clean, despite some annoying compression artifacts and some distracting smearing."

Don't know about Lurkers.

I do know that some film's versions included in the BCI sets and the later Mill Creek sets can be different though.

For instance The Sidehackers has a widescreen transfer on BCI's old Fast Cars, Bikers & Babes set but apparently not on the newer Mill Creek Savage Cinema set.
some of those sets are tempting, but the potential compression artifacts of these multi-film set are a turn off (even when I've found them in-store).

I thought PRIME EVIL/LURKERS was one of the cancelled BCI sets (like BLOOD OF DRACULA'S CASTLE/NIGHTMARE IN WAX) so I assumed that LURKERS might have been remastered.
Old 6th August 2012, 03:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecc View Post
Wonder if PRIME EVIL got an anamorphic upgrade (on disc,that is, I'm pretty sure the streaming version of PRIME EVIL is 16:9)

I had the old BCI version (on a double bill with DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE) and it was anamorphic.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Like this? Share it using the links below!